Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Peter » Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Centrale wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: This was pre-Kickstarter though. After it was a success, something might have changed, but at the time SEGA were still being financially very cautious, and we know how long it took them to finally commit to rereleases of the originals.

Actually I think this brings up a point that I'm very interested in. Do we really know when Sega actually committed to the HD versions?

The earliest point i know D3T was working on them is May 2017. But it could have been being worked on long before that.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby darksniper » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 am

Spaghetti wrote:
darksniper wrote:If Shenmue III comes close to that number or even matches Kingdom Come, then this would mean that part III alone will have close to the same amount or slightly less funding that I and II did if we're going by Yu Suzuki's (not Sega's) estimate with the first two games at 47 million.

In other words Shenmue III is getting that AAA treatment and I couldn't be any more excited if that's the case.

That Kingdom Come budget total included marketing, I believe.

Shenmue III isn't getting the AAA treatment. Don't get that idea into your head. The project was always AA, even if we're getting a bigger and better version after the extra time/money developing it.

Maybe so. But 30 million+ going into Shenmue III is better than I could've imagined. 5 years ago I would've thought that would be impossible. The fact that we're even having this discussion right now is a testament to how far we've come.

Not sure of the exact numbers right now, but through crowdfunding Shenmue III earned about 6-8 million. If DS adds about another 12, Shenmue III would be at a modest 20 million dollar budget. Which again is more than I could've ever wished for given the circumstances.

Given Yu Suzuki's track history, I'm excited and confident that a modest bump in the budget is exactly what he needed to deliver the Shenmue III not to our standards, but his own. At this moment we still have no idea what the real Shenmue III really looks like so there's a lot more to look forward to.

Right now Shenmue is in a great place and I'm more optimistic than ever. I'm happy knowing that YS is at work and whatever happens, happens.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Haruto » Wed May 23, 2018 3:01 am

Don't forget that 47 million is not adjusted for inflation. If you did funny enough in 2018 that comes to about 71 million. So Even if it has 20-30 million when you adjust for inflation it's a lot less but that's still a healthy budget.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 am

darksniper wrote:Maybe so. But 30 million+ going into Shenmue III is better than I could've imagined. 5 years ago I would've thought that would be impossible. The fact that we're even having this discussion right now is a testament to how far we've come.

Not sure of the exact numbers right now, but through crowdfunding Shenmue III earned about 6-8 million. If DS adds about another 12, Shenmue III would be at a modest 20 million dollar budget. Which again is more than I could've ever wished for given the circumstances.

Given Yu Suzuki's track history, I'm excited and confident that a modest bump in the budget is exactly what he needed to deliver the Shenmue III not to our standards, but his own. At this moment we still have no idea what the real Shenmue III really looks like so there's a lot more to look forward to.

Right now Shenmue is in a great place and I'm more optimistic than ever. I'm happy knowing that YS is at work and whatever happens, happens.

All I'm saying is to not let your expectations rise too high. We're definitely in a better position than if Ys Net had stuck with their KS/Shibuya money, but at the end of the day the game was always going to be made modestly.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: darksniper
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby spud1897 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:56 am

Spaghetti wrote:
darksniper wrote:Maybe so. But 30 million+ going into Shenmue III is better than I could've imagined. 5 years ago I would've thought that would be impossible. The fact that we're even having this discussion right now is a testament to how far we've come.

All I'm saying is to not let your expectations rise too high. We're definitely in a better position than if Ys Net had stuck with their KS/Shibuya money, but at the end of the day the game was always going to be made modestly.

As long as we get a game that sells well enough to continue the series on a bigger budget I'm happy. Rumours are Kingdom Come ended up with around $30million for development. If Shenmue 3 had half that I reckon Yu could squeeze every cent from it and make a game worth 20-25 million.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby WildManofBorneo » Wed May 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Haruto wrote: Don't forget that 47 million is not adjusted for inflation. If you did funny enough in 2018 that comes to about 71 million. So Even if it has 20-30 million when you adjust for inflation it's a lot less but that's still a healthy budget.

If Shenmue II was to be developed again today using Unreal 4 chances are that costs would likely not amount to the level they once did. Many of the tasks that once needed to be performed manually have now been fully automated. During the development of Shenmue II more than 30 staff alone were employed for the process of debugging. Today this operation is handled by the game engine itself. Collision detection, dynamic objects, game play physics (debris, cloth, hair, rigid body) are now automated and thus reduce the need for the number of programmers.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Peter » Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: I've been with contact with Robert Pontow from Deep Silver, who is working on Shenmue 3.
I told him about Eric Kelso, Paul Lucas, and Lisle Wilkerson, and how they want to return to Shenmue 3. This is his reply:

Hi, thanks for contacting me. Would you have any email addresses of the voice actors, their agents or any other means of contacting them? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to discuss anything over FB, so we would need to take an official way to get in contact with the voice actors. But I am sure that Yu Suzuki would be happy if we can secure the same crew for Shenmue 3. Best regards

This means there is hope yet. I will try to find a way to get in touch with those three, I'll tweet Shenmue AM2 podcast who had been in touch with them recently. If you guys know anything that might help, let me know too

This also confirms my suspicion that they didn't know that the VA's wanted to return

I was talking to Eric this morning. Him, Paul and Lisle have been concerned for a few months now. They talk once a month and still haven't heard a word. Eric has his schedule cleared for the entire year waiting.

Peter has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby johnvivant » Thu May 24, 2018 6:13 am

Peter wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: I've been with contact with Robert Pontow from Deep Silver, who is working on Shenmue 3.
I told him about Eric Kelso, Paul Lucas, and Lisle Wilkerson, and how they want to return to Shenmue 3. This is his reply:

Hi, thanks for contacting me. Would you have any email addresses of the voice actors, their agents or any other means of contacting them? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to discuss anything over FB, so we would need to take an official way to get in contact with the voice actors. But I am sure that Yu Suzuki would be happy if we can secure the same crew for Shenmue 3. Best regards

This means there is hope yet. I will try to find a way to get in touch with those three, I'll tweet Shenmue AM2 podcast who had been in touch with them recently. If you guys know anything that might help, let me know too

This also confirms my suspicion that they didn't know that the VA's wanted to return

I was talking to Eric this morning. Him, Paul and Lisle have been concerned for a few months now. They talk once a month and still haven't heard a word. Eric has his schedule cleared for the entire year waiting.

those who want to see Eric Kelso, Paul Lucas and Lisle Wilkerson (@lisleweapon) return for 3, please tweet requests to the following:

@deepsilver
@KochMediaNordic
@yu_suzuki_jp
@CedricBiscay

thanks

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Rikitatsu
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SledgeNE » Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 am

The exciting time has begun with Shenmue III. The Project Berkley Bags on Kickstarter sounds very interesting. Would be nice to see an unboxing video on release from that. It's not cheap, but sounds really good.
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 am

johnvivant wrote:
Peter wrote:

those who want to see Eric Kelso, Paul Lucas and Lisle Wilkerson (@lisleweapon) return for 3, please tweet requests to the following:

@deepsilver
@KochMediaNordic
@yu_suzuki_jp
@CedricBiscay

thanks

Also if I may add, email [email protected].
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnjohnbrem » Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am

johnvivant wrote:
Peter wrote:

@deepsilver
@KochMediaNordic
@yu_suzuki_jp
@CedricBiscay

thanks

Are we just assuming that Yu's team forgot about these VA? I mean, what if they don't want them to come back, maybe they have some new actors in mind?
johnjohnbrem
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: PUBG

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 am

Check what Deep Silver's Robert Pontow said in that quote chain. It's in Rikitatsu's post.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnjohnbrem » Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 am

Spaghetti wrote: Check what Deep Silver's Robert Pontow said in that quote chain. It's in Rikitatsu's post.

My bad, must have missed that bit, sorry.
So its weirder that I thought, they didn't choose to change the actors, they just didn't realized that most people wanted the old VAs to return?
johnjohnbrem

Currently playing: PUBG

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu May 24, 2018 12:46 pm

I know a few of those voice actors are 'embedded' in the Shenmue community, but it's a game that's known for its horrible English dub. Wouldn't surprise me that some in development might want distance from that. At the same time, continuity is always a good thing.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 24, 2018 12:49 pm

johnjohnbrem wrote:My bad, must have missed that bit, sorry.
So its weirder that I thought, they didn't choose to change the actors, they just didn't realized that most people wanted the old VAs to return?

Something like that. Even if they didn't have their heads down working on the game, I don't imagine Ys Net are as plugged in as you or I to what the original cast are up to these days. I suppose that's part of what Robert is there for, but unless he's a superfan too I could understand them slipping under the radar.

Robert's response indicates the casting for the English dub hasn't been fully done yet, so who knows, they may have reached out eventually regardless.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III