Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Niowiad » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:59 pm

redline wrote:
project berkley
phpBB [video]

Jeez it has been a long time since I watched that video. I didn't remember a lot of things.
What I sure did remember was the train part, which I always tought was a little "too much" 8-[
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:11 pm

Niowiad wrote:
redline wrote:
project berkley
phpBB [video]

Jeez it has been a long time since I watched that video. I didn't remember a lot of things.
What I sure did remember was the train part, which I always tought was a little "too much" 8-[

Really? To me after being chased by a chainsaw wielding crazy transvestite through a dilapidated skyscraper in shenmue 2, it seems pretty tame for an action sequence :lol:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Niowiad » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:05 pm

south carmain wrote:
Niowiad wrote:

Really? To me after being chased by a chainsaw wielding crazy transvestite through a dilapidated skyscraper in shenmue 2, it seems pretty tame for an action sequence :lol:

Well I'm not going to argue against that :rotflmao:
Niowiad

Postby vnisanian2001 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:22 pm

I wonder if the 3rd or maybe even the 4th game of the series will incorporate scenes from that Project Berkley demo?

I almost completely forgot about that.
vnisanian2001

Postby redline » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:52 pm

vnisanian2001 wrote: I wonder if the 3rd or maybe even the 4th game of the series will incorporate scenes from that Project Berkley demo?

I almost completely forgot about that.

yes, i would imagine Ys has a sketchbook with lots of drawings of qte ideas and scenes like that glowing mask/skull thing, shenfa fighting her captors off etc.. i can defiantly see the train scene in project berkley being a quick time event.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Chaikilla » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:03 pm

I'm very excited about the character perspective system. I wonder what they'll let us do as Ren...will we be able to use his knife? Will this be a way to showcase the magical elements of the game via Shenhua?

Will we find out who stayed in the cave the night before Ryo and Shenhua? Honestly, that seems more in Chai's character. Lan Di and Niao Sun are too prim and proper to do such a thing.
Chaikilla

Postby SPG » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:38 am

vnisanian2001 wrote: But I just don't see how would Ryo abandoning his quest for revenge would work. Wouldn't it all be for nothing then?

The available information on this game doesn't indicate that Ryo will do just that.

+1
SPG
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Jibby » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 am

SPG wrote:
vnisanian2001 wrote: But I just don't see how would Ryo abandoning his quest for revenge would work. Wouldn't it all be for nothing then?

The available information on this game doesn't indicate that Ryo will do just that.

+1

Have some faith. This is Yu Suzuki we're talking about. If Ryo gives up his quest for revenge (which it seems like he will) then there will be good reasoning for it. It definitely won't 'all be for nothing'.

Shenmue isn't just a story about vengeance. You're missing the wider picture if you think that.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:09 am

The plot point was heavily foreshadowed since the first game. Ryo is relentlessly told not to throw his life away on revenge, or not to become a killer too.

To be honest I kind of wish we didn't already know how it pans out. A "will he/won't he" dynamic would have been an interesting flavour to Ryo's arc in Shenmue III.

I suppose there's a good substitute in not knowing if Ryo will succeed in defeating Lan Di in battle, though.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Pollito Diablo
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Pollito Diablo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 am

That's my first post, it's been years i've been reading the Dojo Forum, you're a real great community. I was always too shy to register cause of my english level.

I'm more than ok to see Ryo forgiving and not killing Lan Di. It reminds me the movie Nevada Smith, with Steve Mac Queen.

3 guys killed his parents and he decided to revenge them. MacQueen will kill 2 guys and let finally the last one live. While he was hunting them, some guys told him to stop to be so angry and stop his quest of vengeance...It will happen the same to Ryo, he's not a cold killer.

Pollito Diablo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:32 am

I was thinking about this E3, will they announce in the kickstarter page that they'll assist (in case they do) or on the contrary, will be deep silver in charge of doing that?

They announced in advance they were going to be at Gamescom last year in the kickstarter page, but this was before we knew about DS contract so that's my doubt.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:02 am

Although Deep Silver has taken over promotion duties, the Kickstarter page is still a tool at their disposal. Because of that, I think they will announce appearances at events like E3 or Gamescom in advance, because it'll serve to get the base excited - and because there's no real point in keeping a surprise factor.

Similarly the KS page will also probably be used to announce non-attendance, but only for something that they likely get lots of questions about; like E3.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:13 am

I hope they announce their presence at e3, I need to see gameplay at last.
Two months more or less to the e3, I hope they announce what they are going to do as soon as possible, that would be a relieve.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:49 am

Just have to watch and wait until we get an update in late May/early June.

I'm not crucially attached to the idea of it being at E3, personally. It'd be nice, but YSnet and Deep Silver have to make their decisions based on what level of exposure Sony will give them, and if they've pinned down plans for a release date/another delay.

Plus, it's easily the most crowded show on the gaming calendar with a ton of competition for attention.

Even if the game was 110% ready for a showing like E3, Sony are kind of the gatekeeper in facilitating it. Going with a story trailer, new screens, and a gameplay video is kind of pointless if all Sony could afford them is dumping it on the PSblog and on their YouTube/pre-conference stream.

That's kind of a worst case scenario though, I don't think Sony will actually treat Shenmue III that poorly if YSnet can bring the goods in time for E3. But then that begs the question; will YSnet be ready?

I'd say it depends a lot on where the voice over sessions are. I don't see them bringing a story trailer without any actual voice acting implemented, and similarly it probably wouldn't give the best impression if a gameplay demo didn't show any interactions with characters.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:07 pm

We don't really know in what point of the development they are, if we had to judge based on what we've seen so far, the game wouldn't see the light of day till 2020, but we do know according to Cedric and several people who played the game they are far more advanced than we think. Maybe they get in time for e3 with a trailer with Japanese voices.

They must be very advanced having in mind the game is supposed to be released this year. I can't imagine Suzuki appearing in another video saying the game is going to be delayed again, he must have planned everything to not announce another delay.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III