Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Centrale » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:09 am

Reprise wrote:I think the relative silence over the last 6 months might have more to do with the delay though as a result of them being behind schedule.

I don't really think it's correct to regard them as "behind schedule" when in fact the additional development time is due to significantly expanding the overall scope of the game. It's not like they planned to release the game at this scale in 2017 or 2018 and have fallen behind. They've increased the amount of content the game will have and the development time has increased accordingly.

Centrale has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Suzuki Yu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:24 am

i am also more concerned about the state of whatever they are trying to show in the future.
since the kickstarter days i am still waiting the moment where i can feel relieved about the game and what is it shaped to be... anything below amazing would disappoint me to no end.
i am not expecting the graphics/tech to be amazing but i want everything else to feel amazing.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Reprise » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Centrale wrote:
Reprise wrote:I think the relative silence over the last 6 months might have more to do with the delay though as a result of them being behind schedule.

I don't really think it's correct to regard them as "behind schedule" when in fact the additional development time is due to significantly expanding the overall scope of the game. It's not like they planned to release the game at this scale in 2017 or 2018 and have fallen behind. They've increased the amount of content the game will have and the development time has increased accordingly.

Hmm wasn't the delay until 2018 due to expanding the scope of the game and Deep Silver coming on board as publisher?

The delay until 2019 is surely because they are behind schedule, regardless if there's justification or acceptable reasons.

Actually, at this point I'm not even sure if there is still a schedule. I get a feeling they are just saying "next year" each time they delay the game so fans don't revolt. That's probably why they can't even give a vague estimate like "summer" or "Q3" or something.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:46 pm

swimingdeer wrote: Hum, all of this make me curious :
How much time worth of dialog will there be stored in the game ?
How much was it for SH1 and SH2 ?

I did a little digging around and found out that for the first game the script had about 42,000 lines of dialogue and a count of 330,000 English words, according to this community gaming database. If you take the average reading speed of 180 words per minute, the entire Shenmue 1 would have roughly over 30.5 hours of recorded dialogue audio. More surprisingly, the script was bigger than RPGs like the first Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia!

Hopefully Shenmue 3's budget will hold and we can have once again a fully voiced game.

sand4fish has received 5 thanks from: Reprise, Supa, Switch, The_Intruder, WildManofBorneo
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Can definitely tell it's E3 time by the last few posts. :roll:
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Centrale wrote:

I can't for the life of me understand why Yu Suzuki would target a Q4 2016 release date, which would have allotted only 18 months of development from the time of the E3 announcement. It was apparent from the get-go that Shenmue would miss the target date and face major delays. Even without the Deep Silver involvement and revised scope, there are few games developed in less than 24 months and even fewer with the complexity of Shenmue.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Reprise » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:51 pm

To be fair, it was Q4 2017, not 2016. But yeah, it was a bit optimistic.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Yu also probably expected to raise only around $2M and make a story-focused non-open world game, late 2017 seemed reasonable.

Rikitatsu has received 3 thanks from: Reprise, Spaghetti, Supa
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: Yu also probably expected to raise only around $2M and make a story-focused non-open world game, late 2017 seemed reasonable.

Exactly, and for those itching to say, "oohh well he clearly knew this would have exceeded 2 million and broke records", well, hindsight is a wonderful thing. This could have bombed. Maybe it should. Maybe it would have if it wasnt for Sony allowing Yu-san to appear on their stage. If you thought the man expected to gain a dollar over 2 million, go watch his tears during the final Twitch stream for the Kickstarter.

The love and support from the entire Shenmue fanbase across the planet will infect every minute he spends working on this game. Yes, its not going to be a 47 million dollar blockbuster, but you can rest assured that the money gained from all of the various sources will be squeezed dry into that game.

Ive said it all the way through this process, but one day, you will be leaving Shenhua's home, walk down the pathway past the river, into Bailu Village, and you will realise... that this is Shenmue 3. Ryo looking and moving just as you would expect. The cinematics pulling you in, and the story gripping you. Just wait and see.

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am

I have a question about the stretch goals. Do you guys think after Yu getting more funds from deep silver they will include all the remaining stretch goals I really want to see magic maze in Shenmue 3
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:49 am

The_Intruder wrote: I have a question about the stretch goals. Do you guys think after Yu getting more funds from deep silver they will include all the remaining stretch goals I really want to see magic maze in Shenmue 3

It's safe to assume the Choubu stretch goals are being included at this point based on what Yu has said, but the Bailu ones are a mystery; and probably will be until someone asks Yu about it or we play the final game.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
The_Intruder wrote: I have a question about the stretch goals. Do you guys think after Yu getting more funds from deep silver they will include all the remaining stretch goals I really want to see magic maze in Shenmue 3

It's safe to assume the Choubu stretch goals are being included at this point based on what Yu has said, but the Bailu ones are a mystery; and probably will be until someone asks Yu about it or we play the final game.

I went over the stretch goals in the Kickstarter page I'm confuse what does Choubo Area Expanded Game Stalls means? I hope Yu was able to get the funds for every stretch goals from Deep silver.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:51 pm

The_Intruder wrote:I went over the stretch goals in the Kickstarter page I'm confuse what does Choubo Area Expanded Game Stalls means? I hope Yu was able to get the funds for every stretch goals from Deep silver.

I think that means more mini-games, or more mini-games + expanding the game world.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks a lot for your help Spaggeti Shenmue 3 is still a big mystery project Yu has kept it a secret so long in a way is good thing so when the time comes to show it people are going to be amazed.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:30 pm

Yu was asked by Shenmue 500K about the effect of Deep Silver's involvement on the remaining stretch goals here (first question).

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III