Have we already seen Bailu Village? SPOILERS!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Have we already seen Bailu Village? SPOILERS!

Postby KidMarine » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:15 pm

I was browsing through the Shenmue Wiki when something struck me

This is an image from Miao Village, cut from Shenmue 2. Note the watchtower looking thing.

Now look at this image taken from Suzuki-san's presentation in China

You can just see the same watchtower, just past Ine-san! Presumably this video is set in one of the houses you can see in the first image. So it seems Bailu at least is laid out just like it was going to be in Shenmue 2. There are more images here: http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Miao_Village_%28Unused%29

Another thing I noticed was that Shenhua's flashback seems to be set in Bailu too.

Here's an image from her flashback (taken from the HD screencaps thread):

and here it is in the cut Shenmue 2 content:

Interesting, huh?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Have we already seen Bailu Village? SPOILERS!

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:19 pm

I thought that was Miao Village? It could be Bailu Village, but from what we know now, isn't the infamous Bailu Village which we have talked about for 14 years now, not kinda small and insignificant? I mean, now we know the huge area of Shenmue 3 is actually Choubu? I have kinda forgotten about Bailu Village and am more ex cited about Choubu personally.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:10 am

It's possible. The straw huts look very similar to what we've seen in Shenmue 3's Bailu Village.

I do hope we get to see this temple though: http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Miao_Vill ... reen02.jpg
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:07 am

KidMarine wrote: I was browsing through the Shenmue Wiki when something struck me

This is an image from Miao Village, cut from Shenmue 2. Note the watchtower looking thing.

Now look at this image taken from Suzuki-san's presentation in China

You can just see the same watchtower, just past Ine-san! Presumably this video is set in one of the houses you can see in the first image. So it seems Bailu at least is laid out just like it was going to be in Shenmue 2. There are more images here: http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Miao_Village_%28Unused%29

I think we have bingo. But then again, there is always the possibility that these two places may share similar structures. This screenshot is confirmed to be unused content cut from shenmue 2.

KidMarine wrote:Another thing I noticed was that Shenhua's flashback seems to be set in Bailu too.

Here's an image from her flashback (taken from the HD screencaps thread):

and here it is in the cut Shenmue 2 content:

Interesting, huh?

That content is not cut from Shenmue 2. It is merely used for a flashback scene but we might visit it later. I've explored that area entirely (alongside other modders) and it is super detailed to the point where I think it may be of importance but NOT in Shenmue 3. Maybe in the final chapters since that scene alone shows some stunning non-verbally told story.

Great observations though! It struck some of us weirdly too. I am interested to see where this all pans out but since it is Shenmue, some secrets are best left untold.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby LanDC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 am

KidMarine wrote: I was browsing through the Shenmue Wiki when something struck me

That cut village from Shenmue II is not Miao Village. Who knows what it was going to be, but it shouldn't be Miao Village. Apparently, Miao Village will be visited in chapter 8, according to Yu Suzuki from a press conference in Shanghai (CHUAPPX) last November.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49361

Whatever that unused area was, it's not far-fetched that it would have similar structures to what we'll see in Bailu Village, given it's in the same general area.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:42 am

In his Kickstarter promo video Kenji Miyawaki briefly talks about a unused village.

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Return to Shenmue III