Should Ryo keep the pickle up in his backside?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Should Ryo keep the pickle up in his backside?

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 am

One of the most characterized traits of Ryo was his quite robotic posture, which could be seen during the conversations, his photos with female company or simply by controlling him.

Will you mind if YSnet make Ryo more "normal"? Have you confidence in Yu to keep the carrot-in-the-ass soul?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Should Ryo keep the pickle up in his backside?

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:19 am

It was part of the character, i would be disappointed if its changed.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Mr357
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Kiske » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:09 am

I like the "Stiff" Ryo.

The apparent lack of Ryo's emotions helps me feel my own emotions about the various game situations...
I don't know whether I am making myself clear or not. If Ryo wasn't so emotionally disconnected, I would follow his feelings more than listening to my own feelings.

Kiske has received a thanks from: lDarkWarriorl
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby murdiaries » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:35 am

Absolutely, Ryo being expressive as a chair is part of game immersion.
murdiaries
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby shredingskin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:18 am

I don't mind the stoic personality, but from time to time he can spice a little bit the dialogue from time to time.

Even with his friends he talks to them as estrangers, if he has a chance of get in love with shenhua, or become friend or whatever, would be nice to see a glimpse of intimacy in their talk (and I don't mean sex talk, just some ramblings or whatever).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:29 am

He's Samurai-like and I don't expect that to change, but we saw more of a comedic side in his interactions with Ren and Shenhua in II and I expect that to carry on into III.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby fittersau » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:23 am

It would be nice to see a more relaxed or normal posed Ryo, but it would have to be the whole gamut of natural poses for all the characters. For me this would truly herald Shenmue 3 as "next gen" since it would be such a big jump from the previous games.

I don't see his pose changing because I think they will focus on other aspects of his animations such as his fighting styles which were really well done. Natural motion takes a lot of time and trying to execute on all different characters is just consuming too much resources for such a tight schedule.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Centrale » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:00 pm

I think it would be nice to see the characters behave a little more expressively, as seen in most of the concept art. But nothing that's a drastic change of tone from the previous games. Just a little progression, as would naturally occur for a young person traveling the world.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Ryo being "stiff" makes the small personal moments all the more wonderful and/or bittersweet.

Examples: Meeting with Nozomi in the park; recieving Ren's coins and saying goodbye to Joy and Wong; accepting another cup of tea as not to upset Fangmei.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:57 am

Yokosuka wrote: One of the most characterized traits of Ryo was his quite robotic posture, which could be seen during the conversations, his photos with female company or simply by controlling him.

Will you mind if YSnet make Ryo more "normal"? Have you confidence in Yu to keep the carrot-in-the-ass soul?

"I see"

No, it's part of his appeal. Regarding the robotic nature, Shenmue feels like it has weight, characters don't float above the ground. Every step you take feels accurate despite being very stiff.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby myshtuff » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 am

Or maybe the intention is to have him grow over the course of the games and actually develop emotions.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby koalazeus » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Or maybe the intention is to have him grow over the course of the games and actually develop emotions.

Definitley this. I hope as the series goes on the original humour of Ryo's stiffness is seen more as part of great, subtle characterisation. There's not many characters like Ryo in any medium, let alone having him as the lead role.

He's such a square! :D
koalazeus
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:45 pm

They should probably make his walking animation less robotic, but I really like his running animation, and I wouldn't want it to change too much.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: SMDzero
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:45 am

I think the wooden plank jammed up Ryo's ass will gradually splinter-off and shrink as the games go on.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby elmatto » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:44 pm

I highly doubt they'll recreate everything exactly as it was in the original games. It's running on a completely different game engine after all. And I'm okay with that. Ryo can have a more relaxed posture and some idle animations. So long as he remains stoic I'll be fine with some small aesthetic changes. I think some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Expecting the game to be exactly as it was is silly.

If they have him bouncing around and being expressive like a cartoon character that's when I'll have a problem.
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Next

Return to Shenmue III