Shenmue III Logo Poll

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Should YS use the original Shenmue logo in Shenmue III? (Total votes: 100)

Yes
91%
No
8%
Undecided
1%

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:06 pm

ash55 wrote: I definitely would prefer the original font, and I think it needs to appear in the game. But I understand the reason to change it on the boxart (hopefully nowhere else). I'm not too keen on slightly altering the original logo in order to make it more legible. What makes the original so great is the beautiful cursive writing, and so I don't feel it should be touched, or something similar should be created. So a completely different logo on the boxart would be preferable IMO. I tried to just think of something really simple, but sort of classic, to fit in with the theme of shenmue and this is what I came up with. Just a basic serif font almost as if it's not a logo at all, but simply a translation of the original japanese logo.

I like that idea a lot. It was interesting that Suzuki pointed to Peter's shirt and said that's the logo he wanted to go with for now. Any of your guys' creations would be eons better than that papyrus paint job
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Gastarot » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:54 am

Great work !!! :shock:

I'm sure if we have paper packaging boxcase same as European version, this will be very collector.

and the blue color of PS4 is exactly same as Dreamcast version on the edge !! ;-)

I belive they will make great packaging !
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Verderame » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:46 pm

I can't even understand why there's even a question about this, but if we really have to surrender to this "people can't read cursive anymore" thing (seriously?), i'd rather have a totally new block letters font (with the original japanese logo placed somewhere, like someone has already done) than an uglish fake cursive one with some horribly splitted lettering.

Hey, and what about the number three in the title? You don't want to scare walmart customers, right? Why don't you "hide" that in the logo like CD Projekt did with The Witcher III one?

Or, even better, what about a reversible cover? One side for us old fans, and the other one for the "special" millenials audience.
Lots of games are doing this nowadays.

Oh, and i really hope that the Yu's team can figure this out without having to use fan made logos, for god's sake.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby oreh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Original logo because it's unique

Unlike the new platypus font, looks too westernized
oreh
Banned
Banned

Postby FRASIER v3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Here's my take on the Shenmue logo, I also posted this on the Community Projects so I aplogise if you're seeing this twice.

Feedback welcome :D

FRASIER v3 has received 4 thanks from: GYO6161, Let's Get Sweaty, south carmain, Spaghetti
FRASIER v3
Asia Travel Representative

Postby SMDzero » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:38 pm

FRASIER v3 wrote: Here's my take on the Shenmue logo, I also posted this on the Community Projects so I aplogise if you're seeing this twice.

No no all wrong.

Try to make it like the Mortal Kombat 3 logo... the phoenix mirror can take the placed in the center of the 3.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby FRASIER v3 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:25 am

it's ALL wrong, ALL of it ... haha!

Ok, let's have a look at this Mortal Kombat logo to make this less "no no all wrong".
FRASIER v3

Postby Testament » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Kiske wrote: Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions guys :)

I'm done here... can't spend more time on this cause it's making me crazy :mrgreen:

I made a last version based on your comments, still not perfect (I kind of distorted some letters) but decent enough to show in which direction we would YsNet to go with the logo.

I may send this one to @Shenmue_3 if I find the courage... will see were it goes. (In the trash can probably :P )

Again, thank you very much for your help and encouragements!

I'd refine it before you send it off. I've been in the graphic design biz for about 11 years now, and I see a lot of telltale rookie mistakes here. You're getting there, though--at least you didn't use a soft emboss (the worst rookie mistake as far as I'm concerned).

Sorry if that seems harsh, just giving feedback from a professional perspective :)
Testament

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:25 am

Testament wrote:
Kiske wrote: Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions guys :)

I'm done here... can't spend more time on this cause it's making me crazy :mrgreen:

I made a last version based on your comments, still not perfect (I kind of distorted some letters) but decent enough to show in which direction we would YsNet to go with the logo.

I may send this one to @Shenmue_3 if I find the courage... will see were it goes. (In the trash can probably :P )

Again, thank you very much for your help and encouragements!

I'd refine it before you send it off. I've been in the graphic design biz for about 11 years now, and I see a lot of telltale rookie mistakes here. You're getting there, though--at least you didn't use a soft emboss (the worst rookie mistake as far as I'm concerned).

Sorry if that seems harsh, just giving feedback from a professional perspective :)

Thank you for your professional feedback :) Appreciate it!

I can send you my .psd files if you want to refine them.

We can then send the fonts to @Shenmue3 as a "Shenmue_Dojo" creation since at the end of the day it's the work of many ;)

Just send me your mail through PM if you are interested.

PS: I'm talking about this version by the way:

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:36 am

FRASIER v3 wrote: Here's my take on the Shenmue logo, I also posted this on the Community Projects so I aplogise if you're seeing this twice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqA3y4HXYAA ... name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqA3y4PWYAA ... name=large

Just for fun, I've mixed my created fonts with yours and saved it as a 1920*1080 wallpaper.

Hope it's ok with you ;-)

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:50 am

I really don't like that 3. It should be numerals.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:13 am

I still have to wonder, who couldn't read "Shenmue" in the original font?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:43 am

Yep, it's a false misconception on the part of Yu. Think it will be worth mentioning to him in a few weeks. I mean conjoined text is only relative to western handwriting so I don't understand who has told him that, it where he got his research from.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:46 am

We can sit here forever, the fact is that we (hardcore fans?) want the original Shenmue fonts and nothing else. :D
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:59 am

Peter wrote: Yep, it's a false misconception on the part of Yu. Think it will be worth mentioning to him in a few weeks. I mean conjoined text is only relative to western handwriting so I don't understand who has told him that, it where he got his research from.

Yea, Yu is completely off base with that line of thought.

Some cursive is hard to read(like when people write a letter or a book in super unique to them variation of cursive, and more times then not, sloppy as well. I really hate when people do that), but not something like this, this is as generic, and strait forward as it getsHell the letters look just like their printed counterparts, this just gives it a little more flare), people would not have a problem with reading such at all.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III