Shenmue III Logo Poll

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Should YS use the original Shenmue logo in Shenmue III? (Total votes: 100)

Yes
91%
No
8%
Undecided
1%

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:46 am

Peter wrote: Whoever has is entitled to their opinion.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby SMDzero » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Peter wrote: Whoever has is entitled to their opinion.

Im not voting since there is no option for "I don't care about how 7 letters look like on a bit of paper. After 14 years of having no style of letters whatsoever I will be playing the game regardless".

People are entitled to their own option but not their own facts.

Sure people may be totally fine with the "new" logo, hell they may even LIKE the new logo.

However to say they think the new logo is better than the original is just intellectual dishonestly at best and a blatant attempt to violently hijack a democratic poll at worst.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Hmmmmhmm

"They think that the new logo is better than the original is just intellectual dishonestly (which should be dishonesty) at best and a blatant attempt to violently hijack a democratic poll at worst."

So.... just so I am clear, a person is not allowed to have an opinion, if they go against the run if the grain, they are intellectualy dishonest, violent, and undemocratic

Bravo pal. You have just made my Internet reading for today =D>

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby SMDzero » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:39 pm

Peter wrote: Hmmmmhmm

"They think that the new logo is better than the original is just intellectual dishonestly (which should be dishonesty) at best and a blatant attempt to violently hijack a democratic poll at worst."

So.... just so I am clear, a person is not allowed to have an opinion, if they go against the run if the grain, they are intellectualy dishonest, violent, and undemocratic

Bravo pal. You have just made my Internet reading for today =D>

Also subversion, treason, and cyber-terrorism! ;-)

Seriously, you know Awesome Japan is going to see this poll and see that even ONE VOTE is sufficient justification to keep the new logo :sad:

SMDzero has received 2 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, FlagshipFighter
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:30 pm

I'm with Peter, as long as i have the game, gimme shenmue 3 on a freaking sharpie, idc

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby SMDzero » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:08 am

GYO6161 wrote: I'm with Peter, as long as i have the game, gimme shenmue 3 on a freaking sharpie, idc

The problem with this logic is that we're on a slippery slope.

Once you concede the crap font, then next you'll concede crap box art.

Then you'll concede crap title screen, then crap intro, then crap sound effects, crap music, crap voice acting, crap controls, etc..

The quality assurance line must be drawn somewhere! ;-)
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby squall » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:04 am

I understand where Peter & GYO6161 are coming from. If it were strictly about me playing the game, I wouldn't care.

However, as a graphic designer, my education & profession have taught me that aesthetic appeal can have a major affect on whether some people will even pick a game up from a shelf to look at it, let alone buy it.

I am not attached to the original logo purely for the sake of nostalgia. They can change the logo. However, to use either Papyrus or Bradley Hand looks amateurish and I believe could affect sales to some extent. And while I'm still very grateful that we are even getting Shenmue III, I want to be able to play Shenmue IV. I don't want sales hindered by something as simple as effective typography.

Certainly my viewpoint is tainted by my profession, but this world we live in does (for better or worse, usually worse) judge many things by their appearance.

squall has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kiske, SickOctopus
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:55 pm

SMDzero wrote:However to say they think the new logo is better than the original is just intellectual dishonestly at best and a blatant attempt to violently hijack a democratic poll at worst.

Jesus, what the hell is wrong with you? :lol:

In regards to the poll: Can't by any means get myself to give a damn, sorry.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jibby » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 pm

squall wrote:However, to use either Papyrus or Bradley Hand looks amateurish and I believe could affect sales to some extent.

Exactly this! Whilst I'm not a graphics designer, I do have a fair bit of experience in that sort of field. Using a Windows Default font in a professional project is bad enough (in most cases), but Bradley Hand and Papyrus are up there with Comic Sans among the very worst in terms of graphics design.

I'm all for a new logo if that's the way Suzuki wants to go, but I feel that it should be something that doesn't scream "cheap" and isn't associated with some of the worst typefaces ever made. The logo is an advertising tool and we're not the target audience for that advertising.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:18 am

Let's Get Sweaty spotted on. Reading "Shemnue" instead Shenmue has been indeed pretty recurrent since people from all sides had been talking about the game. Not a big deal but enough problematic not to underestimate it.

Even marketing experts like NBA franchises have changed their mind with the Clippers trading off their traditional cursive for a separated one in 2015:

I hope Yu Suzuki will reverse his decision however. On the contrary, I think a cursive headline can be a strength. The game covers are so similar nowadays that they have became mostly dull and lifeless. And Shenmue is unique.

Anyway, the real logo of Shenmue has always been the Ryo & Shenhua dual faces.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:04 am

SMDzero wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: I'm with Peter, as long as i have the game, gimme shenmue 3 on a freaking sharpie, idc

The problem with this logic is that we're on a slippery slope.

Once you concede the crap font, then next you'll concede crap box art.

Then you'll concede crap title screen, then crap intro, then crap sound effects, crap music, crap voice acting, crap controls, etc..

The quality assurance line must be drawn somewhere! ;-)

The way i see it is that we should focus on other aspects of the game that are way more important than the logo, i'm not saying that just because its shenmue 3 that i would be ok with a bad game, but the logo isn't something we should be so focus on when it does not affect the gameplay other actual gameplay mechanics. We should really be more focused on other things that would matter more.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby Kiske » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:35 am

I agree that the logo is really a low priority compared to gameplay, graphics or animations.

That said, they are two aspects about it that are important in my opinion.

The first one, the one I can live with of course, is that I simply don't like the new logo. Period.

The second one is more important. It's about "image". Especially Shenmue 3 image amongst the scepticals, the haters or people who still don't know the franchise.
The fact that you can find the font used for the logo within the MS Office Word sets could give an "amateurish" feeling to potential buyers. We are not talking about a small, two guys team Kickstarter porject here. It's Shenmue we are talking about. E3 2015 highlight, Yu Suzuki and Sony, most successful Kickstarter for a videogame of all the times.

We could consider that using a simple logo (for now) shows where the team puts priorities, but eventually they will have to come with something more appealing. Even if it's not the original logo anymore.

The future of the franchise, Shenmue 4, is at stake. Yu and his team have a lot of pressure and everything should be as pefect as possible to seduce newcomers, especially on an aspect related in some way to "marketing".

My two cents.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby SMDzero » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Kiske wrote: I agree that the logo is really a low priority compared to gameplay, graphics or animations.

That said, they are two aspects about it that are important in my opinion.

The first one, the one I can live with of course, is that I simply don't like the new logo. Period.

The second one is more important. It's about "image". Especially Shenmue 3 image amongst the scepticals, the haters or people who still don't know the franchise.
The fact that you can find the font used for the logo within the MS Office Word sets could give an "amateurish" feeling to potential buyers. We are not talking about a small, two guys team Kickstarter porject here. It's Shenmue we are talking about. E3 2015 highlight, Yu Suzuki and Sony, most successful Kickstarter for a videogame of all the times.

We could consider that using a simple logo (for now) shows where the team puts priorities, but eventually they will have to come with something more appealing. Even if it's not the original logo anymore.

The future of the franchise, Shenmue 4, is at stake. Yu and his team have a lot of pressure and everything should be as pefect as possible to seduce newcomers, especially on an aspect related in some way to "marketing".

My two cents.

What if a self-righteous grandstander went as far as to refuse to play the game if the font isn't changed back?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:05 pm

I'm sure he'll be able to read a summary of the plot on Wikipedia in a typeface that pleases him.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Tigrr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm actually surprised that with such a dedicated fan base, that someone with some knowledge of typography and design hasn't actually sent some mockups of a logo to Suzuki. I know if I was experienced with that sort of thing, I would send through my suggestions and would gladly offer to do it for free to help save money.

Although maybe someone already has...
Tigrr
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III