E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby ShenSun » Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Im certain shenmue 3 will be at E3. I dont mind getting my hopes up either. If nothing shows up, at least we know its still being made........unlike the last 14 E3's........................

ShenSun has received 3 thanks from: Esppiral, FlagshipFighter, SheepheadCG
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Couldn't agree more.
Think about it, this is going to be the first E3 where we can just sit back and enjoy. We don't need to get our hopes up like we all have for the last 15 years lol. If something happens, then great, if it doesn't, we already got the news we have been waiting for for all these years last June :D!

Would be cool though... :rotflmao:

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Well okay, guys. I'm jus' sayin', being pleasantly surprised is a lot nicer than disappointed.

The more likely scenario right now is that we get a special E3 Kickstarter update to mark a year since it launched, complete with new information and hopefully images/video.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon May 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Well okay, guys. I'm jus' sayin', being pleasantly surprised is a lot nicer than disappointed.

But thats the point you are not getting. No one is going to be disappointed if Shenmue 3 isn't at E3, despite hoping for it. We have Shenmue 3, E3 appearance or not.

Peter has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Peter wrote:But thats the point you are not getting. No one is going to be disappointed if Shenmue 3 isn't at E3, despite hoping for it. We have Shenmue 3, E3 appearance or not.

Naw, I get it, but at this point there is overwhelming evidence that nothing is getting shown at a conference, so why continue to expect it?

Watching the Sony conference thinking "I wonder if Shenmue is next..." through the whole thing will at least bring some disappointment when it doesn't show. It's easier just to accept we're probably getting a Kickstarter update and that's that. If it's anything more than that, great!

But let's not kid ourselves. We've been told since February, point-blank, there are no plans to show Shenmue III at E3 2016. SEGA are seemingly fumbling in the dark on Shenmue HD. There's nothing to expect, and there's no teasing to the contrary. It's all very matter-of-factly been put to us as "Not this E3".

E3 2015 was great for Shenmue fans, but now the dream is becoming a reality and we've got to accept that every big gaming event won't bring similar earth-shattering news about the series. We've got the peace of mind knowing the game is coming, but we also need to wean ourselves off the "Could this be THE YEAR?" feeling we've had to deal with since 2001.

Ultimately, people can do what they want. I'm not the hype police or nothin', pfff. But y'know, maybe I'm just trying in some small way to spare us pages of "Shenmue III/Shenmue HD wasn't at E3, what a disappointment! They were teasing it too!".

And besides, it's still wayyyyyy early for any kind of conference trailer. The game didn't officially go into production until late August last year.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kindled_One » Mon May 23, 2016 9:50 pm

Last edited by Kindled_One on Sun May 29, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindled_One
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Kindled_One wrote: If I'm not mistaking, development started early this year, and since then, nearly five months have passed, and one and a half years are remaining. From this point on, it would be very sensible & strategic to get as much public attention as possible, so that more people will eventually know about this game.

Nah, development began in late August, if we're judging from the October Kickstarter update "Month Three Progress Report".

Actually it might be late July instead when it started, but it's hard to tell without knowing someone on the inside.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kindled_One » Mon May 23, 2016 10:05 pm

Last edited by Kindled_One on Sun May 29, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindled_One

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Kindled_One wrote: ^
Ah, right, so almost a full year then. So, isn't it about time to show some more footage at E3?

No, not really. Especially not on a conference stage. Most of the games there have already had two years of development already, and the trailer concepts are put together months in advance to allow the developer to polish the areas they intend to show off to an acceptable standard. Smaller games usually don't have that much going into their trailers and don't need to spend as long putting them together, but as Shenmue is a mid-level game (AA?) it can be harder to hide its existing flaws in the same way.

The videos at MAGIC in February were nice for the event, but they were still just the camera flying through unfinished environments and nothing else. You'd get laughed off the stage if you showed that at E3. YSnet have only probably just started motion capture, and we have no idea how many character models are finished yet.

Next year would make more sense for an E3 trailer.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Spaghetti wrote:SEGA are seemingly fumbling in the dark on Shenmue HD.

Actually, I'd be quite surprized if they do. They might be fumbling on farting out on another sonic-game allright, but not Shenmue. Anything but Shenmue. I wonder if they are going to cause problems like demanding more money for the license or bigger share from the sells. Profit ontop of anything is the king at Sega right now. They sure are not going to "waste money" on developing such a "non-profitable piece of code" like Shenmue HD!
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 24, 2016 4:30 pm

-=SPZ=-47 wrote:Actually, I'd be quite surprized if they do. They might be fumbling on farting out on another sonic-game allright, but not Shenmue. Anything but Shenmue. I wonder if they are going to cause problems like demanding more money for the license or bigger share from the sells. Profit ontop of anything is the king at Sega right now. They sure are not going to "waste money" on developing such a "non-profitable piece of code" like Shenmue HD!

Most recently we heard they're "investigating" how to make a Shenmue HD Collection, so it's definitely on the cards in some capacity now.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed May 25, 2016 6:13 am

ShenSun wrote: Im certain shenmue 3 will be at E3. I dont mind getting my hopes up either. If nothing shows up, at least we know its still being made........unlike the last 14 E3's........................

I can understand the sentiment of hope, which has brought us where we thought it was impossible to get, but how can you say you are certain Shen 3 will be at E3? :shock:
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Spaghetti wrote:Most recently we heard they're "investigating" how to make a Shenmue HD Collection, so it's definitely on the cards in some capacity now.

Yeah, I've heard that joke too. It's obviously a joke, since no serious game company would make such a stupid statement.

Look, I always tried not to get mad at Sega, yet that "investigating statement" was the boiling point for me. Like... they do what??? INVESTIGATE on how to make a GAME??? WHAT??? Is there nobody left at Sega who knows how to do what this compaty did for over three decades? Only managers?

That statement was an insult. Much worse than "No plans for Shenmue right now".
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Amir » Wed May 25, 2016 12:10 pm

-=SPZ=-47 wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:Most recently we heard they're "investigating" how to make a Shenmue HD Collection, so it's definitely on the cards in some capacity now.

Yeah, I've heard that joke too. It's obviously a joke, since no serious game company would make such a stupid statement.

Look, I always tried not to get mad at Sega, yet that "investigating statement" was the boiling point for me. Like... they do what??? INVESTIGATE on how to make a GAME??? WHAT??? Is there nobody left at Sega who knows how to do what this compaty did for over three decades? Only managers?

It's to do with licensing tech from companies that have gone bust and it's not clear who they'd need to pay licensing fees to, etc.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby punkmanced » Wed May 25, 2016 12:22 pm

-=SPZ=-47 wrote:

Dude…that just means they’re looking into the release from a purely financial perspective, as opposed to jumping in blindly. Shenmue didn’t exactly help Sega’s finances, so they’re just being extra cautious with the IP.

For what it’s worth, I fully expect the remasters to happen somewhere down the line.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III