E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:35 am

To avoid getting too bogged down in negativity;

We at least know the game is coming along fine and Awesome Japan have nothing to do with it, and if there's another Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, Cedric will likely not allow AJ to return to the role of running it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Something tells me that one of the 11 million + stretch goals would have been Shenmue 4 funded!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:09 am

I don't think (even if I would support it of course) there will be another Kickstarter for Shenmue 4.
It's a "make it or break it" now with Shenmue 3. Let's hope for commercial success.
Saving Shenmue HD has never been so crucial.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby fittersau » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:29 am

Sonoshee wrote:
south carmain wrote: Well they did hire one guy from the community (well I don't know if they "hired" him but they are working with him) but the only effect it really had was inflate his ego to the point where people couldnt fake being happy for him anymore.

Do you mean Kid Nocon?

I was surprised they didn't hire (or try to hire?) Esppiral tbh, his renders are amazing.

His stuff is great isn't it. I think Shenmue 3 team were after people with UE3/4 experience as that's where the bulk of the game development is.

They actually do have haku-jin on the team, can't find that photo now though.

fittersau has received 2 thanks from: Esppiral, Sonoshee
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Esppiral » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:59 am

Awesome Japan can be everything.... except awesome...

Esppiral has received a thanks from: -=SPZ=-47
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Kiske wrote: I don't think (even if I would support it of course) there will be another Kickstarter for Shenmue 4.
It's a "make it or break it" now with Shenmue 3. Let's hope for commercial success.
Saving Shenmue HD has never been so crucial.

I read on the Dojo here somewhere that the future of Shenmue 4 is (surprise, surprise!) based on Shenmue 3's success. I'm not sure how true the information was but it went something like this:

*Shenmue 3 hits its mark of 1 million sales or more = Sega outright fund Shenmue 4 themselves.
*Shenmue 3 doesn't hit its mark of 1 million sales but is still a decent success = Sega will allow Yu Suzuki to do one more game to wrap the story up (via Kickstarter again).
*Shenmue 3 is a failure in terms of sales = Yu will have to finish the story by himself another way, be it through an animation or comic (guessing Kickstarter again).

Again I cannot place complete accuracy on this but I did read it here somewhere (apparently it was a translation of something Yu or Cedric said.)

I do believe getting those Shenmue remasters before Shenmue 3 is imperative to ensure a Shenmue 4, even if the above isn't entirely accurate.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:19 pm

so E3 has come and gone and well... No information about Shenmue 3? Did I miss something? I know they said they were going to show the game, what happened? I guess in the fluster of all the other game announcements I forgot about Shenmue 3, well didnt forget but wasnt worried cause I knew info was coming and then we get to the end and nothing... its very strange actually. #-o
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:27 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: so E3 has come and gone and well... No information about Shenmue 3? Did I miss something? I know they said they were going to show the game, what happened? I guess in the fluster of all the other game announcements I forgot about Shenmue 3, well didnt forget but wasnt worried cause I knew info was coming and then we get to the end and nothing... its very strange actually. #-o

They never said they were going to show Shenmue 3 at this years E3, I'm not sure where you heard that they would. Cedric said earlier in the year it wouldn't be there. Personally I'd prefer them to focus on putting all their efforts into development rather than taking away resources just for a few minutes at E3. There's a lot to be done before Dec 2017 and I think people need to understand that - but hopefully Kickstarter updates become more fleshed out and frequent toward the end of the year.

People did expect something regarding Shenmue though, like a Shenmue remaster announcement.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Sonoshee wrote:I read on the Dojo here somewhere that the future of Shenmue 4 is (surprise, surprise!) based on Shenmue 3's success. I'm not sure how true the information was but it went something like this:

*Shenmue 3 hits its mark of 1 million sales or more = Sega outright fund Shenmue 4 themselves.
*Shenmue 3 doesn't hit its mark of 1 million sales but is still a decent success = Sega will allow Yu Suzuki to do one more game to wrap the story up (via Kickstarter again).
*Shenmue 3 is a failure in terms of sales = Yu will have to finish the story by himself another way, be it through an animation or comic (guessing Kickstarter again).

Again I cannot place complete accuracy on this but I did read it here somewhere (apparently it was a translation of something Yu or Cedric said.)

I do believe getting those Shenmue remasters before Shenmue 3 is imperative to ensure a Shenmue 4, even if the above isn't entirely accurate.

I don't think they've ever spoken about "If Shenmue III does this amount, then Shenmue IV happens". 1 million sales is their goal, but I think Yu and Cedric both have refused to say whether that's any metric for the series to be continued. Though, I do think Cedric said their goal is to have the series continue after III without any Kickstarter financing.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Any word from the LA Dinner backers?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:42 pm

Yeah, exactly, at one point or another it was absolutely supposed to be at E3 this year, one of the KS tiers was the trip to LA and dinner with Yu. Okay so I wasnt going crazy, something just changed that I wasnt aware of. Ah well, im not disappointed or anything and I kind of agree if they we just need to let them work on the game this year, fine by me.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mrandyk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:I read on the Dojo here somewhere that the future of Shenmue 4 is (surprise, surprise!) based on Shenmue 3's success. I'm not sure how true the information was but it went something like this:

I don't think they've ever spoken about "If Shenmue III does this amount, then Shenmue IV happens". 1 million sales is their goal, but I think Yu and Cedric both have refused to say whether that's any metric for the series to be continued. Though, I do think Cedric said their goal is to have the series continue after III without any Kickstarter financing.

It's a sliding scale I'm sure. The better Shenmue 3 sells the farther we get from having to do Kickstarter again and the bigger Shenmue 4 gets.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:20 am

Well we made it past E3 2016; the wait will be clear sailing from here!

Just 6 months until the playable demo, 6 months after that until huge E3 2017 trailer, and 6 months after that until release.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:13 am

SMDzero wrote: Well we made it past E3 2016; the wait will be clear sailing from here!

Just 6 months until the playable demo, 6 months after that until huge E3 2017 trailer, and 6 months after that until release.

Yes. In a perfect world.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Kiske wrote:Yes. In a perfect world.

Mhm.

There will be a delay of some kind. Either the demo, the game itself, or both.

Not that I'm too bothered by that, as long as neither delay spirals into ridiculousness.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III