E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby Kintor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:24 am

Well, I didn’t get a chance to watch the conferences live but I've just caught up with the day's news. Overall, even without an appearance from Shenmue 3 I think that Sony had a pretty strong conference.

A nice mix of already announced games and new reveals. I'm intrigued by that Batman VR game teased, it's just a pity no actual footage was shown about how an Arkham style Batman game would work in VR. Oh well, maybe another time then. Besides, I'm still holding out for Rocksteady to make a full-fledged Batman Beyond game, as unlikely as that might still be.

Anyway, there's still plenty of time between now and the launch of Shenmue 3 in 2017. I'd rather see Yu Suzuki withhold revealing any new Shenmue 3 footage until the game is ready. Under the circumstances, given the unique pressures and expectations of Kickstarter game; Shenmue 3 has to look it's best to justify the money pledged during the campaign. I'm confident that Shenmue 3 will look fantastic when it's revealed; it's just a matter of time.

Wanderin' wrote: Been hiding out ever since Shenmue 3 was officially announced 366 days ago to the day. Since the game is actually reality now, I've had little else to say other than to wait patiently and respectfully for Mr. Suzuki and his team to do what they need to do to make Shenmue 3 as great as it can be given their resources.

But therein lies the point - "given their resources".

First off, I do not wish for this message of mine to give off any kind of negative connotation. After all, as Shenmue fans we ALL know what it's been like to fight for Shenmue 3. And now, ever since its real, official announcement and in-progress development, all of us community of fans also share what it feels like to know that impossible literally is nothing and that anything you can wish for is possible (especially given the decade of hoping and wishing leading up to E3 2015...).

Nevertheless, given last night's Sony E3 conference I just want to get a little peeve off my chest. Now - even though I absolutely adore both Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima and loved how Kojima triumphantly harked his return (ie. "I'm back!") on Sony's stage and then proceeded to demo an unbelievably lavishly developed 3D cutscene/trailer (non gameplay, non in game footage, etc.) for his next Sony co-developed PS4 game (that hasn't even chosen a base game engine for development yet) - all this gives me a sour taste, especially given my concurrent affections for Suzuki and Shenmue.

After all, think about this. Kojima and his newly formed Kojima Productions, given their current superstar status in the game industry, has most likely been given near carte blanche/blank check budget resources by Sony to develop his new "Death Stranding" title.

On the other hand, despite Sony's lip service (I know, I know. Without Sony's help, Shenmue 3 would never even be here...) to how legendary Suzuki is and how grand Shenmue is - Suzuki and his impoverished Ysnet are contracted to ask for the mere pittance of $2 million dollars for a mandatory Kickstarter campaign to gauge public response for the necessity of Shenmue 3. That Shenmue's community of fans ultimately pooled together to even afford Suzuki $6 million dollars in the end is his honour and our hard effort and privilege.

My apologies. Long story short: yes, I suppose we should be complacent that Shenmue 3 is even happening at all. And yet, when Kojima is likely being given unlimited resources at his disposal by his partnership with Sony to ensure that his next game will be as grand as it can be, I cannot help but feel that Suzuki and Shenmue 3 are being physically held back in quality and cannot be grander that it can be without being given the same kind of resources that a Kojima game is being given.

After all, what's Suzuki really asking for in total to make the complete Shenmue 3 that he has always envisioned? 10-12 million? Even now we're thirstily grasping for what more additional stretch goals we can afford and Suzuki has spoken of scaling down the scope of Shenmue 3 to what can be developed with $6 million dollars. Surely Kojima is getting more than that to make his Death Stranding.

If Sony wants Shenmue 3 to be the greatest it can be, then it should actively take actions to set it up for success - in short, if they want to commit to Shenmue 3 then they must also believe in it and afford Suzuki the resources he thinks he needs (without this kind of corporate "we'll make the kind of game that $6 million dollars can afford to make" mentality). While on the other hand, it seems so easy for them to commit to and believe that anything Kojima makes will be worth the investment - a self fulfilling prophesy given the fact that they will fund and support its development to make sure it is as grand as it can be.

All things equal, both Kojima's Death Stranding and Suzuki's Shenmue 3 both have the same potential to flop or succeed. And yet one developer is obviously being given all the help it needs to be the best it can be while Suzuki soldiers on, determined to make the best game he can - within the limited scope of the resources allotted to him.

My apologies again. Waiting for so long to have Shenmue continue on definitely makes me a bit standoffish when it comes to discussing the potential continued future and success of the series. But hopefully, surely others can understand what I'm trying to get at when envisioning just how grand Shenmue 3 truly could be if a giant like Sony actually supported Suzuki with all the necessary muscle power to ensure the series continues successfully.

I understand what you're saying Wanderin, there is significant difference between how Sony has supported Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima, respectively. However, I don't that Yu Suzuki has in any way been hamstrung by Sony's efforts, quite the opposite in fact. Seeing Shenmue 3 on Sony's stage at E3 last year is hands down the biggest promotion that any Kickstarter campaign has ever received.

So then, why bankroll Hideo Kojima but not Yu Suzuki? It all comes down to that fact that Hideo Kojima needs Sony far more then Yu Suzuki ever did.

Consider that Yu Suzuki was already established, with a team and office. Not to mention a ton of Shenmue 3 pre-production material, dating all the way back to the mid-90s. Essentially, Yu Suzuki was already planning to go ahead with the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter anyway; it's just that Sony saw an opportunity to promote Shenmue 3 while gaining another console exclusive for the PS4. It's an alliance that benefits both Yu Suzuki and Sony, while allowing Yu Suauki to remain independent.

Conversely, Hideo Kojima was in a desperate situation after the release of Metal Gear Solid V. Cast adrift from Konami with the rest of his team, no office, no finances and certainly no access to any IP he worked on previously. Here is where Sony comes in, evidently helping Hideo Kojima to get back on his feet; in exchange for the certain exclusive access to any games that Hideo Kojima creates. It's not clear yet but Sony might even have the rights to Death Stranding, depending on the deal that Hideo Kojima made with Sony.

So overall, I think that the level of support that Sony provided to Yu Suzuki is the best outcome, allowing Yu Suzuki to make Shenmue 3 the game it needs to be, according to his vision. The arrangements made by Hideo Kojima with Sony just wouldn't work for Yu Suzuki. The kind of help that Sony offered Hideo Kojima inevitably has strings attached; strings that Yu Suzuki was able to successfully avoid.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:34 am

Agree with the majority of Wanderin's post. Sony are still keeping Shenmue at arm's length, despite taking the credit for "bringing Shenmue back/getting Shenmue from SEGA", when that effort was with YSnet and Shibuya Productions.

I don't think Kojima needs the money more than Yu. If anything I think they deserve support equally. Top-tier Japanese game development needs to be kept alive, or else you're risking losing a market altogether as well as a generation of potential talent consigned to mobile dev hell.

It is Sony's home turf, and they should be building that local support whenever possible. I'm hopeful they've stepped into a larger role in Shenmue III since the huge success of the Kickstarter, but we don't really know if they have. If any development problems arise, it's more likely Shibuya Productions will be the ones to help bail YSnet out

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:13 am

All very valid points from everyone.

I suppose it is simply purely an issue in which Kojima's continued cache wins out in the end. We fans and Mr. Suzuki are grateful to Sony for their assistance in bringing major industry wide attention back to the Shenmue series - and the last thing Suzuki and Ysnet would ever do is grovel for more than what Sony has seemingly already done (of course we don't really know what Sony has or will continue to do for the series...) for them.

It's just an awkward issue, is all. When Kojima has gone on record stating that many companies in the industry had since asked to have him come aboard with them and that he finds it comfortable to partner with Sony because they practically place no creative restrictions on him whatsoever - why not support Mr. Suzuki and Shenmue in at least somewhat of a similar way as Kojima (higher resource and financial support, no creative restrictions, etc.) when Sony has clearly already committed to the 'new' (post E3 2015 announcement) Shenmue IP as something being unique and exclusive to the Sony brand?

I'm certain Mr. Suzuki is an exceptionally humble and down to earth individual. But what is he supposed to think in his future conversations with Mark Cerny when he clearly knows that his fellow Japanese game developer contemporary within the same company-partnership is getting far more direct support than he ever will receive?

My apologies again. But when the future and conclusion to the series is still in doubt (Shenmue 4? 5?!?), we don't ever want to be in a position after Shenmue 3 has finally released pondering over what the 'best' Shenmue 3 could have been if only Suzuki was granted more assistance than for them to go it alone as they are now. After all, for crying out loud, Suzuki and Ysnet has so far had to rely on hiring fan community staff as a means to assemble 'expert' development staff for the Unreal engine.

I get it. That's charming and everybody feels revitalised when they hear about Suzuki doing his darndest to make the best game he can "[at the scale afforded by the support and resources he is in possession of]".

Yes - surely we can be happy that Shenmue 3 is even happening and can have faith in Mr. Suzuki. But certainly we can all also appreciate doing the necessary base and support work to set Shenmue 3 up for success and ensure Shenmue 3 has all the aid it can get to be the best it can possibly be.
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:50 am

Spaghetti wrote: And now we wait for a Kickstarter update.

This.

PS. You were right!

P.P.S. The Last Guardian coming October 25, 2016 :heart:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Kiske » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:00 am

Spaghetti wrote: Mistakenly posted in the other thread:

Unfortunately Twitter is already blowing up with "No Shenmue 3 after it got Kickstarted last year? What a scam" comments. Seems people don't know Kickstarters actually, y'know, provide updates on the backed games...

That's my biggest concern and honestly the main reason I would have loved to see Shenmue 3 at E3.
Something short, even non gameplay to show "average" people that Shenmue 3 isn't vaporware and that the development comes along very well.

I assume the Kickstarter anniversary could bring us some new Shenmue 3 material, but it won't have the same impact on the non-backers and therefore, it won't bring as much new support for fundings as an E3 presence could provide.

That said, there's still plenty of time and if things are orchestrated well by YsNet, Shibuya and Sony, the Shenmue "Orgy" will eventually come.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:04 am

Kiske wrote:This.

PS. You were right!

Haha. Not particularly happy to be right... but we all knew going in to E3 that it's still early days.

At least we know for a fact YSnet are progressing at a steady pace, and gearing up for motion capture sessions, voice recording, soundtrack recording (Ryuji Iuchi is auditioning performers, Erhu included), and cutscene generation. That and the fact there's some level of traditionally playable build is as encouraging as ever.

Totally agree with your other post too, but the haters will always hate unfortunately. Some people were just ignorant to how Kickstarter works. Still, any big update will likely get retweeted/posted by Sony's social media and hopefully reach a broad audience. Just have to hope we actually will get something for tomorrow's anniversary of Shenmue III's announcement.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:02 am

Personally I'd rather resources (and Yu) weren't taken away from Shenmue 3 so we could get something tiny at E3. Let them get on with making the best experience they can, we always have the KS updates (which will get better over time when theres enough to show).

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Kiske
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 am

I think people better be prepared for a Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 situation - they're both at E3 but you wouldn't know it (no E3 stage time). Sony's "marketing" can mean anything. Plus between now and Winter 2017 there's plenty of time for them get trailers out, maybe Sony are saving themselves some stuff for their PlayStation Experience and TGS events?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby iyapol » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:53 am

Thought I'd give my opinion on the Shenmue no-show.

I'm a little bit disappointed that Shenmue III didn't even get a mention. The Sony conference at E3 was the beginning of the Shenmue resurrection and it would've been nice to see some more footage/stills, and at the very least an acknowledgement that Sony is still fully behind the project.

But. And it's a big but.

If showing glimpses of Shenmue III in its current state could, potentially, have a negative impact on future development, for whatever reason, then I am pleased by the decision made by the powers that be.

The phrase 'more harm than good' springs to mind.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:05 am

Henry Spencer wrote: I think people better be prepared for a Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 situation - they're both at E3 but you wouldn't know it (no E3 stage time). Sony's "marketing" can mean anything. Plus between now and Winter 2017 there's plenty of time for them get trailers out, maybe Sony are saving themselves some stuff for their PlayStation Experience and TGS events?

If you're referring to Shenmue III, it's not really Sony that are saving themselves, it's YSnet. They made a decision, and it was the right one.

TGS and PSX are certainly events the game could show up at but it all depends on how much work is done over the summer. TGS might be an easier one to because it's a local show, but PSX affords them more development time and arguably a wider media reach.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:51 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Kiske wrote:This.

PS. You were right!

Just have to hope we actually will get something for tomorrow's anniversary of Shenmue III's announcement.

Isn't the Kickstarter Anniversary on the 16th of June?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby SMDzero » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:56 am

YsNet decided that E3 2016 would be the ideal place to show off Shenmue 3 for the first time. Sony's booth was rockin' the house. In fact, there were so many people there and it was so loud that you couldn't hear any of the sounds in the game without putting your ear up to the speakers. Shenmue 3 was playable on 4 screens, 2 PC and 2 PS4.

Introduction
For those who are unfamiliar with Shenmue 3, here is a quick run down. Shenmue 3 is Yu Suzuki's third attempt at his open world (FREE) game series.. (Shenmue 1 and 2 being the first and second respectively) Fortunately, the only thing these previous games have in common with this latest entry is sharing the Shenmue name. Shenmue 1 and 2 were full of innane fetch quests, poor voice acting and an obtuse fighting mechanic where Shenmue 3 is a full-on open world adventure game. The game fatures a strong emphasis on the story element. Leading up to Shenhua's fathers disappearance at the end of the second game, Shenmue 3 fills in the story surrounding Ryo and Shenhua's battle against the evil Chi You Men cartel as they gradually approach their destiny. The game allows you to choose from either Ryo or Shenhua. Depending on which character you choose and how events unfold during that level, the story's path can change dramatically, providing the game with extensive replay value.

Graphics
Shenmue 3 features 3 main areas, Baisha, Choubu, and Bailu Village. The camera employs a 3rd person perspective behind your character. There is also a camera button that knocks the camera in place if you happen to be caught in an awkward angle. The overall speed of the game was pretty smooth, even though we were told that the engine hasn't been optimized yet. There would be some slow down when your character was approached by multiple enemies. The PC version seemed to offer better visuals with smoother textures and less blocky scenes. This seems true about every game being developed for both the PC and PS4.

The first levels in the game place your character in realistic environments to accustom new players with their surroundings. Further along you get into the game, the levels become surreal and mythical like the ending of Shenmue 2.

Yu Suzuki wants to keep both the PC and PS4 version of the game similar to each other, opting to lock the game at 30fps and 720p graphics. The beginning cinematic in a cave looked very good. The scene had a very dramatic aura and portrayed a true movie like experience. I agree with the decision to go with scripted sequences instead of full motion video. They work very well.

Sound
Because the Sony's booth was so loud, I didn't get a chance to be able to hear anything from the game. I did manage to listen to most of the beginning cinematics by putting my ear up to the TV speakers. We were told that YsNet hired professional voice actors. Instead of Corey Marshall who plays Ryo in the previous Shenmue games, the voice of Ryo is played by an actor with a very distinct Brooklyn accent.

Controls
While the dual shock 4 controller is designed for adventure games, Microsofts PC controller was a better fit for Shenmue 3's fighting sequences. The controls overall were surprisingly very responsive, despite the early nature of the game. I did, however, notice some kinks in the jumping. I'm sure that the controls will be worked on extensively before the game ships.

Gameplay
The fighting sequences were very similar to the virtual fighter system in past Shenmue games. You can string together 3 to 4 standard kicks and punches and then finish it off with a roundhouse kick or a special move. On the dual shock 4, pressing the L2 or R2 button along with a standard punch and kick would perform a special move. I only had a chance to check out Shenhua's special moves. From what I remember she had a spinning backhand, elbow, sweep kick, and a Star Wars inspired force-push. I'm sure there are more, but this is all I can remember. You can also equip your character with a special item called the 'Sword of Seven Stars' which floats above your character and protects against damage.

Without giving out much of the game/story line, your character starts out in the situation the Shenmue 2 ending cinematic left you. The sequence being shown was at E3 was set outside a large stone pit. The objective was to find the way to Bailu village. This particular sequence required your character to talk to random people who would lead the way to the village. Now wait a second before you jump to any conclusions. Game creator, Yu Suzuki ensured me that Shenmue 3 is not going to be another fetch quest game. The initial levels are developed that way in order to familiarize new players to the controls and the Shenmue style of play. The later villages have more complex objectives, requiring more thought than just finding the correct person to talk to. In each village you meet martial arts masters who teach you new moves. Sometimes the new moves learned will change your existing move-set in the skill tree, so make sure you check them as soon as you learn a new move.

Final Impressions
Even though I played an early version of the game, I was very impressed with the way Shenmue 3 looked. Even though the sounds were practically off, the game was pretty enjoyable. It would have been nice to hear what was going on during the opening cinematic. The fighting sequences were extremely cool once I figured out how to perform special moves. I was told that YsNet was planning on showing a video with the other villages being shown. But things didn't work out and the video wasn't shown. I guess we're going to have to wait a little longer until we get a better glimpse at Shenmue 3. But from what I did get to see, it's shaping out to be a very entertaining game.

Oh
how I wish this had happened at E3!!!
Last edited by SMDzero on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:56 am

I watched it. I didn't really plan to, already went to bed but couldn't quite sleep so I fired the stream up on my phone.

I feel the same as anyone else here. I got my hopes up when the guy was talking about a legendary talented programmer yada yada yada and then it's just Hideo Kojima. I wouldn't say this is a slap in the face but it kinda felt like one to me. It has already been said but why does Kojima get all the limelight and Suzuki is kept in a dark corner?
I mean Kojima leaves Konami after MGS V and Sony doesn't think twice about it and picks him up right away and throws millions and millions and millions at him.
And then thinking about how long Yu Suzuki got stuck in limbo... And then he only gets some side support.
Success of Shenmue I and II aside, the man deserves more as he is just as legendary and profound of a developer.

I also cringed a bit when they annouced remasters of Crash Bandicoot on a very brief side note. And they don't just pick up one game but 3. Sigh... Shenmue HD...

Well, I guess it just didn't fit into their show. It was so fast paced with trailer after trailer and there probably wasn't the right material to show and no time to have Yu Suzuki talk.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:07 am

Completely agree with you Wanderin'.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ShenSun » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:26 am

This year was packed full of games. Even Persona 5 didnt get a mention. Im certain next year Shenmue 3/HD and FF7 will be the stars of the show.

As someone who was hoping for Shenmue 3 this year and an HD announcement. Im happy with the show.

On to next year guys. im 100% certain Shenmue will be there in 2017 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III