Kickstarter Update #56 - May Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #56 - May Update

Postby alexh86 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:00 pm

It's interesting that the cutscene he's storyboarding in these shots is the same one we saw last year at E3 (and to date the only true cutscene footage we've ever seen). I wonder if these are old images they threw at us to go with the news that he's taking a more active role with the team going forward. These shots could very well be over a year old.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby punkmanced » Tue May 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Good update.
With some luck, Kenji "Zoom in on Shenhua's ass" Itoso just may have gotten replaced by someone much more competent.

Either way, having Masuda onboard is a win.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 31, 2016 5:33 pm

Yokosuka wrote: It seems that AJ mispelled the Western translation of his name. He's not known as Masada but Masuda.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0557926/

Guy is a frigging legend.

Today I learnt that the one guy helped define my childhood (yes I am old, 90s kid here). Animation director of such classics like - Batman: The Animated Series, The New Adventures of Batman, Adventures of Sonic, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker etc. And now Shenmue 3?

...WTF this guy is a god.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Sonne2
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Tue May 31, 2016 5:42 pm

Honestly have not heard of him until today since I don't watch the genre that he works on, but I knew if Henry, OL or Mitts gave their seal of approval then we were good.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 31, 2016 5:58 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: It seems that AJ mispelled the Western translation of his name. He's not known as Masada but Masuda.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0557926/

Guy is a frigging legend.

Today I learnt that the one guy helped define my childhood (yes I am old, 90s kid here). Animation director of such classics like - Batman: The Animated Series, The New Adventures of Batman, Adventures of Sonic, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker etc. And now Shenmue 3?

...WTF this guy is a god.

Superman TAS is his main work and after having watched it rather recently, Superman TAS is a master piece of storytelling. I was in "WTF mode" when I read the update.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Tue May 31, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 31, 2016 6:00 pm

Dude definitely has a great body of work behind him.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 pm

alexh86 wrote: It's interesting that the cutscene he's storyboarding in these shots is the same one we saw last year at E3 (and to date the only true cutscene footage we've ever seen). I wonder if these are old images they threw at us to go with the news that he's taking a more active role with the team going forward. These shots could very well be over a year old.

Showing the storyboard for a scene we have been given eliminates the possibility of spoilers.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:28 am

These small updates are just the quiet before the storm.

I think in 6 months time we are going to be in for a HUGE update and an epic trailer.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 am

alexh86 wrote: It's interesting that the cutscene he's storyboarding in these shots is the same one we saw last year at E3 (and to date the only true cutscene footage we've ever seen). I wonder if these are old images they threw at us to go with the news that he's taking a more active role with the team going forward. These shots could very well be over a year old.

I'm starting to seriously think that they are holding as much as they can the (public) status of development pace they are following.
That's very very good imo. Being a Kickstarter project with such pressure on it, it's a good strategy to come out with big forward steps when they decide to show something. In the meanwhile, most of the people just assume it's still very early stage of development and don't expect too much from them.

The last two Cédric tweets are confirming this feeling I have... my hopes for a big update anytime soon are raising :mrgreen:

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:00 am

A few teaser tweets from Cedric this morning. Not doing us any favors in the run up to E3, that's for sure!

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Mr357
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby rdk_nl » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:55 am

Peter wrote: A few teaser tweets from Cedric this morning. Not doing us any favors in the run up to E3, that's for sure!

Love to see the fanmade Shenmue embroidery on the cabinet!

Someone can translate the whiteboard?
rdk_nl

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:47 am

Peter wrote: Honestly have not heard of him until today since I don't watch the genre that he works on, but I knew if Henry, OL or Mitts gave their seal of approval then we were good.

Mate did you not watch any of those cartoons during the 90s as a kid? You do not know the glory that is Ducktales, Batman: TAS and Animaniacs? That was my crack on a Saturday morning.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Amir wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:EDIT: Kenji Itoso was meant to be storyboarding the cutscenes. Has he left the project, or has his role been diminished/turned into a collaboration with Masada?

This is what I was wondering when I saw this. Maybe they were unhappy with the direction of the E3 video? I can't see this project being able to afford too many people.

One of the very first things I thought, too. The new member has more experience (based on his biography). From what I read, Kenji Itoso was an apprentice of Hazao Miyazaki, but he doesn't seem to have a lot of experience; [I like that he is a Shenmue fan, though; (could blame him for possibly suggesting AJ to Yu-san, as he has used them in the past for his KS projects... that said, both joshing and being serious...)]. I felt, too, the Kickstarter videos were lacking of great quality.

Νevertheless, Toshihiko will be doing the storyboarding and there is a possibility Itoso could still work as the video director.

I'm glad and excited for the new emerging prospects this new member could bring in Shenmue 3's cinematic and artistic quality.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:21 am

All I had to hear was Akira and Howl's Moving Castle and I was convinced!
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Peter wrote: Honestly have not heard of him until today since I don't watch the genre that he works on, but I knew if Henry, OL or Mitts gave their seal of approval then we were good.

Mate did you not watch any of those cartoons during the 90s as a kid? You do not know the glory that is Ducktales, Batman: TAS and Animaniacs? That was my crack on a Saturday morning.

No bud. I was never a cartoon guy. Kinda why I loved Shenmue, I always prefered the real life shows. Like Zzzap, or Woof, or Knightmare on CITV on a Friday for example. The only cartoon I can ever remember watching was Rugrats for some reason. But cartoons never did it for me. I watched Animaniacs, and Looney Toons once in a blue moon but that was it.

The only cartoons I really enjoyed, were the proper old cartoons, like Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Sylvester and Tweetie, Tom and Jerry, Foghorn Leghorn. I love the music and the charm of those 1950s onwards cartoons.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to Shenmue III