Playable demo of Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playable demo of Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:49 pm

Testament wrote: Oh, no way!

Heh.

The actual case looks like the Japanese edition of Shenmue.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:07 pm

Its that shirt again!!!!!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:43 pm

jacko1987 wrote:
Switch wrote:
Ziming wrote: High resolution photo from Shibuya's Facebook page. Maybe Switch can translate what's on the whiteboard?

Here's what I can make out. The content is non-spoilerish.

"Dynamic seeds" sounds intriguing. (At least that's what I think the most likely translation is.)

Also the filename displayed here on the monitor suggests that the concept art we saw recently shows Bailu, "Hakka" being what its called in Japanese.

Hey Switch do you think the second slightly blurred kanji could be 我そう (monk), it is a 我僧 as a compound but perhaps the person who wrote it didnt know the second kanji.

Could be :

キャラクターバリエーション????の?そう

Characters variations ????

But without a better picture it's hard to read.

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: Switch
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:51 pm

I'm probably the only sad one who got excited at the word weight. If there was blood type on the board I would have actually lost my shit. Details like that make Shenmue great.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Centrale » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Peter wrote: I'm probably the only sad one who got excited at the word weight. If there was blood type on the board I would have actually lost my shit. Details like that make Shenmue great.

I think since it is in the context of "rig attachment," weight in this case would most likely refer to the skin weighting of the character models... that is, the area of skin that is influenced by each bone in the character rig. For example, most of the forearm skin is going to be moved by the elbow bone, but some of the forearm skin will be influenced by the wrist bone. These "weights" are to some degree assigned automatically when rigging a character, but a lot of times an artist has to paint the weights in certain areas manually if the skin is deforming in weird/unexpected ways. So, I would think that this note on the board is referencing a workflow and/or a need for time to be devoted to the process of rigging and weighting the characters, rather than an in-game detail of the characters' apparent weights in pounds or kilos. Just my interpretation, though.

"Dynamic seeds" makes me think there is some procedural/generative element to creating characters' faces rather than every character having to have artists create a custom face from scratch for them. The engine will take a seed value and use that to generate a pseudo-random value, so a character with a seed of 1 will have a different appearance than a character with a seed of 2.

Centrale has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, Peter, Yokosuka
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:43 pm

Ahhh! Displaying my complete lack of understanding of vidogs me development! Thanks for the breakdown Centrale!

I hope if the NCPs are randomly generated they still have a life, and meaning. Probably a long shot, but I do want a perfect guide book, with each characters stats. Also their own routine like in Shenmue! I understand if this is sacrificed due to budgetary constraints though. I just want this damn game to be that awesome.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Switch » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:45 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote:Could be :

キャラクターバリエーション????の?そう

Characters variations ????

But without a better picture it's hard to read.

I think you've got it! Yeah, with the blurriness it feels like trying to interpret one of those inkblot tests.
jacko1987 wrote:Hey Switch do you think the second slightly blurred kanji could be 我そう (monk), it is a 我僧 as a compound but perhaps the person who wrote it didnt know the second kanji.

Definitely looks on the right track. Based on the suggestions and squinting at the image again, another possibility that looks like it would fit is: 服そう (clothes / costumes).

Edit: grasping at straws a bit now, but with this theme in mind, the word written before this looks like it could be "かみ型" - hairstyles.

Switch has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:04 pm

I wish we could get a clearer look at the image on the screen. I'm almost 100% certain it's meant to be just above Bailu Village (I think I can see the bell tower), but there's something on the horizon, and a building of some kind on the right.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I wish we could get a clearer look at the image on the screen. I'm almost 100% certain it's meant to be just above Bailu Village (I think I can see the bell tower), but there's something on the horizon, and a building of some kind on the right.

Here's a composite of the screen image, with slight adjustment to lightness & contrast. Looks like the structure to the right could be a bridge of some sort.

Switch has received 4 thanks from: DEVILLE_David, Gromber, KidMarine, Mr357
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Switch wrote:Here's a composite of the screen image, with slight adjustment to lightness & contrast. Looks like the structure to the right could be a bridge of some sort.

Ah! Very illuminating, thanks Switch.

It doesn't look a lot like any of the areas we've seen so far. Interesting...
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:14 am

Shenhua is pointing right toward the bridge. We'll get there!

Interesting tower in the background, do you have any idea what kind of construction it could be?

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:51 am

Switch wrote:Here's what I can make out. The content is non-spoilerish.

Great work as always! Here's my rather wild guess for the "???" part:

Characterization: hairstyle, attire, tastes...

Edit: Ooops, I've just found out that you've already guessed similarly before this. Sorry!

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: ShenGCH, Switch
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Hard to believe this is really happening, even after a year.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Switch » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
Switch wrote:Here's what I can make out. The content is non-spoilerish.

Great work as always! Here's my rather wild guess for the "???" part:

Characterization: hairstyle, attire, tastes...

Edit: Ooops, I've just found out that you've already guessed similarly before this. Sorry!

Thank you Kiyuu! It's great to have your analysis as a native speaker. Glad we were not far off. :)

Aha, so the last word is "tastes"! That had me stumped. What is written on the board in Japanese?
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:56 am

Switch wrote:Thank you Kiyuu! It's great to have your analysis as a native speaker. Glad we were not far off. :)

Aha, so the last word is "tastes"! That had me stumped. What is written on the board in Japanese?

Actually, I'm not really sure about the last word, and it's totally a random guess; "好み." 8-[

Kiyuu has received a thanks from: Switch
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III