Kickstarter Update - 1 Year Anniversary

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update - 1 Year Anniversary

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Expected something a little bit bigger. But better then nothing. At least they did acknowledge the anniversary in the end.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:06 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: Shenmue 3 has, even in its super basic prototype form, absolutely nailed this. I know its a very small detail, but that is what gets me so excited. Yu is a master of adding realism to the word very naturally with the small things, and it just points out to me that he still has it and just adds to my overall hype of the game...

It's automatic in UE, you just have to place windzones, it's still a nice touch for sure.

On topic: Yu actually seems pretty happy with how shit is going, and he's not the hypebullshitter like some devs are, so things are looking pretty damn alright.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:14 pm

Spoilers ahead, mixed with theorising.

The sketch on the right with the ?? on it seems to be a face on segment of the Chiyoumen HQ, and the doors would be prison cells, which presumably you have to search for ShenHuas father. The main diagrams are top down sketches, but the sketch on the right seems to be the corridors/floors you would runaround in a circle in.

Peter has received a thanks from: masterchan777
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:52 pm

A reader's letter here:

Now that E3 is over I thought I’d point out that means it’s now exactly a year since Shenmue III was first announced. I’m obviously not the only one that noticed though as they put up a new video to show how things have been going (you can’t seem to share Kickstarter videos, but here’s the link).

I know Kickstarter games have an increasingly poor reputation nowadays, and I think in a lot of cases that’s perfectly justified, but Yu Suzuki and his team seem to be getting on very well. Everything seems very professional and instead of being full of excuses and timewasting side projects the updates are just things like new people they’ve hired and details of what they’re working on at the moment.

It’s actually not really that interesting, but I think that’s actually what’s most encouraging about it: professional people getting on with their job and trying to make the game live up to expectations. A lot of others, I’ve noticed, try to make themselves seem like pop stars or pretend that making video games is some sort of cool spectator sport. I think I feel more confident knowing that quiet, sensible people are just getting on with it when it comes to Shenmue III.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Stocke » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Anyone else trying not to think about Shenmue so that the wait doesn't feel as long? The bigger these updates are the more i obsess over it.

Looks like they're working hard.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: A reader's letter here:

Now that E3 is over I thought I’d point out that means it’s now exactly a year since Shenmue III was first announced. I’m obviously not the only one that noticed though as they put up a new video to show how things have been going (you can’t seem to share Kickstarter videos, but here’s the link).

I know Kickstarter games have an increasingly poor reputation nowadays, and I think in a lot of cases that’s perfectly justified, but Yu Suzuki and his team seem to be getting on very well. Everything seems very professional and instead of being full of excuses and timewasting side projects the updates are just things like new people they’ve hired and details of what they’re working on at the moment.

It’s actually not really that interesting, but I think that’s actually what’s most encouraging about it: professional people getting on with their job and trying to make the game live up to expectations. A lot of others, I’ve noticed, try to make themselves seem like pop stars or pretend that making video games is some sort of cool spectator sport. I think I feel more confident knowing that quiet, sensible people are just getting on with it when it comes to Shenmue III.

Fair play to the author because it's more or less summed up exactly how I feel. It's easy to piss and moan about a lack of info, but honestly, do you really want all of that in monthly dosees? I sure as hell don't. I've toiled with completely leaving the Dojo ever sInce last year, and I've reduced my presence solely with an end goal in mind of disappearing for all of 2017. We have seen already how we can seriously analyse any little morsel of info (that's not a dig, I wouldnt expect anything less from the fans!), and that's only going to get worse with time, as the usual dilemma of promotion/secrecy becomes evermore so blurred.

If you feel they could have shown "something" more substantial, then yes, there is an argument for that. But rest assured, they are coming, and when they do I feel it really will have been a case of absence made the heart grow fonder. For now, we are 18 months away, so let them get on with it I'd say! Life is awesome, and if I could give any advice, it's go find something to take your mind off of it. Preoccupy yourself because we knew from the start this was going to be a loooong process, and i know firsthand what it's like logging in and refreshing daily..... hourly in fact, for any small snippet of news

Speaking for myself personally? I already know far too much about this game. Way much more than what I ever would have wanted to know at this stage. Bring back the monthly magazines as a news source like the good old days! I'd love to hypotheses and theorise like we have gotten so good at over the years, but I just know if I do, my on the spot raw emotions that I know I will feel whilst finally playing this game will have been manipulated from all of the information that had came before it. I don't want that, and I am not going to jeapordise a 15 year payoff for it.

Keep the updates sort by all means! Tell me what's in Suzuki's t shirt wardrobe and I will be happier

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, scarless landi, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Switch wrote: Here's my best-guess translation of the text on the whiteboard that is briefly shown in the video.

As usual Yu's handwriting is quite hard to make out. Additions/corrections are welcome (Kiyuu, David...?).

Excellent work as always! Here's a little help with the "??" parts:

[Top left]
りゅ(=龍): dragon
ほう(=鳳凰): phoenix
白(=白虎): white tiger
玄(=玄武): black tortoise

Must overcome (?) these. --> Must be in this order.

[Around the big circle in the center]
白こ(=白虎): white tiger
玄ぶ(=玄武): black tortoise
すざく(=朱雀): red phoenix

[Bottom right]
りゅう(龍): dragon
すざく(朱雀): phoenix

Kiyuu has received 4 thanks from: Giorgio, masterchan777, Sonoshee, Switch
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 pm

I find the whiteboard more intriguing than spoilery. I expect they know people will translate that stuff anyway.

Getting excitingly familiar flashes of the Yellow Head Building sequence in Shenmue II.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby scarless landi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Sooo these guys?

scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:09 pm

scarless landi wrote: Sooo these guys?

Possibly, but I'm not so sure the Chi Yu Men bosses will be laid out so neatly for us to battle. Especially considering theories about Niao Sun's allegiances. I'm wondering if these guards might be the four Chi Yu Men soldiers that backers could pledge to be the faces of.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Kiyuu wrote:Excellent work as always! Here's a little help with the "??" parts:

[Top left]
りゅ(=龍): dragon
ほう(=鳳凰): phoenix
白(=白虎): white tiger
玄(=玄武): black tortoise

Must overcome (?) these. --> Must be in this order.

[Around the big circle in the center]
白こ(=白虎): white tiger
玄ぶ(=玄武): black tortoise
すざく(=朱雀): red phoenix

[Bottom right]
りゅう(龍): dragon
すざく(朱雀): phoenix

Fantastic, thanks Kiyuu!

Here's the updated image:

Switch has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, Kiyuu, masterchan777
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:50 pm

^Wow.

And nice update from the man himself. :D
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Switch » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:19 pm

I liked the way they showed the last few seconds after Yu Suzuki had finished speaking at the end, when he relaxed into a smile.

Also, good to see some more concept art. Here are composites of the pictures from the video. I'll throw these onto the concept art thread too.

Edit: and two more:

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby dnlandi » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:00 pm

so good news i cant wait
dnlandi
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: dnikoles
XBL: dnikoles

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Switch wrote:Image

I think we've seen a location like this in the Saturn Shenmue video...

https://youtu.be/foZUcPQAMvg?t=175

Huh. Interesting wraparound.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: James Brown, Jibby, johnvivant
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III