There should to be food system in Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

There should to be food system in Shenmue 3

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:53 pm

So... Shenmue 3 should have a food system where you can consume food or drink to increase Ryo's stamina. I mean, Ryo can drink soft drinks/coffee in Shenmue 1 and 2 but it's kind of useless (I think?) so giving it an actual purpose would be cool. Also he's never eaten anything except carrots when he was a boy in game. Bruh needs to chow!
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: There should to be food system in Shenmue 3

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:48 pm

No food is for the weak!

A man shows weakness he is your enemy.. an enemy deserves no mercy!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:21 pm

I guess a system like in the yakuza games would make the restaurants more interesting. I remember feeling it was a bit of a waste to create so many detailed restaurants and tea shops in shenmue 2 just for them to be useless.

As for drinking at the vending machines I suppose it was only there so that you could win winning cans.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:14 am

It'd be interesting if it was a way to artificially speed up time outside of determined story points where you're allowed to.

Like just hanging out at a tea shop, or Dim Sum place, etc.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Verderame » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:36 pm

I always thought that the lack of a food system in Shenmue was pretty strange, because it would really be an amazing fit for a "mundanity simulation" game series like this. Too bad that Yu Suzuki said that they haven't any plan about it, though, and that's even more strange, what a shame.

Even a copy-pasted Yakuza system would be neat enough.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Shenmue II frustrated me too with the cups of Tea code but I have to be fair. A food system is generally synonym of useless and no fun. It's like asking Yu to make toilets interactive.

Unlike the popular belief, everything you do in Shenmue is useful. Buying a soda can make you win a prize, opening a fridge to find some items.

I would like a Shenmue where you can chose your dish according the local restaurant you are but what would be the videogaming reward of this?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:02 pm

I don't know man. A toilet plunger QTE mini game would be hysterical. If you mess up, shit goes flying everywhere.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Interactive toilets should be reserved for HD remasters of the original chapters. That kind of thing would be perfect for #1 and #2.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby punkmanced » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:36 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Shenmue II frustrated me too with the cups of Tea code but I have to be fair. A food system is generally synonym of useless and no fun. It's like asking Yu to make toilets interactive.

Unlike the popular belief, everything you do in Shenmue is useful. Buying a soda can make you win a prize, opening a fridge to find some items.

I would like a Shenmue where you can chose your dish according the local restaurant you are but what would be the videogaming reward of this?

Oh come on. Winning a soda prize was an added bonus, sure, but the fun came in buying the Coke/ Fanta itself and watching our favorite robot drink it.

Eating a simple bowl of soba would fit perfectly within the Shenmueverse.
Purpose? Another way to waste 30 mins without Time Skip. Boom.
They could even use that setting to throw in some random/ clever QTEs.

Of course, this is all moot, since Suzuki seems strangely obstinate about not feeding Ryo, but, then again, who knows? If enough people show interest/ pester him about it, he might change his mind.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:48 pm

The problem is that they're already on a limited budget. I'd hate for them to waste time and money on this stuff in place of more important features.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby punkmanced » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:08 pm

That’s a fair point regarding Shenmue 3, which is in a category all by itself.

A very simplistic food system (ie noodles) has no chance of being implemented this time around, but could hopefully be considered for Shenmue 4 and beyond.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:02 pm

In Yakuza, food fills up your life bar, so it kind of intrinsically makes sense, whereas in Shenmue your bar refills automatically after a fight ends. They would have to drop that and implement something like in Yakuza. I wouldn't be against the idea.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby punkmanced » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Well, they wouldn’t have to drop anything if they just viewed it as another soda-type of inclusion: a cool way to kill some time while adding a touch more realism.

Hell, it could be simple as f*ck:
-Ryo sits down at counter.
-Option to choose from a few different ramen dishes pops up, finger-pointing style.
-A bowl slides your way.
-Ryo starts eating. Screen fades. 30 mins go by.
Last edited by punkmanced on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:15 pm

The only problem I can imagine with a time skip while eating/drinking is that you'd have to pay for it. Suppose it's not much of a problem when you can make your own money through part time jobs and gambling.

It'd be cool if you could leave a tip to enhance an unseen "karma" stat that gives you critical hits against enemies, better chances of rare capsule toys, etc.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Telekill » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:59 pm

This is an idea that I would rather have on the back burner if Shenmue 4 ends up getting picked up by a publisher without need for Kickstarting. Right now, YsNet and Yu have limited funds to make Shenmue 3 the game we are all wanting. Having extras like a food system may sound like a fun side thing, but as it's not part of the other two games, having a soda machine where he can take a drink and basically nothing happen... yeah, I'm fine with that. Save that development money for other in game details or mini games that were and are planned to be in Shenmue 3.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Next

Return to Shenmue III