Kickstarter Update #58 - Keiji Okayasu Returns for Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #58 - Keiji Okayasu Returns for Shen

Postby Switch » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
shengoro86 wrote: As for the subtitle: "Occasionally, there are even times when the mountains along the Li River bring misfortune..."

Could Shenhua be talking about the very same mountains found on the picture in her house???

Some connection there? If so, then it's theory time.

Actually, that line couldn't be said by Shenhua, but by some old man, probably. The line begins with "What? Hummm..." in Japanese, and the way of saying is an old man's. A young girl would never say like that.

Ah, very enlightening! I omitted those first couple of words when I translated, as they seemed so out-of-place -- this helps to explain why. :)

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Kiyuu, NeoShredder
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Right, when I first saw the video I thought it was Ryo speaking because the text was blue but when I read the text that was obviously not the case.

Himuro has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 am

Wow, so does this imply that what we're actually looking at here is
the first gameplay footage of Shenmue 3 we've seen is in fact playing as Shenhua??
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:32 am

Well, from my understanding of what's been said here, that's not a scene in which you play as Shenhua, and not necessarily one that even involves Shenhua at all.

Her (most likely outdated) model's being used as a stand-in for another character, for whom they presumably didn't have a model yet, simply for the purposes of testing the scene and the dialog, etc.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:31 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Well, from my understanding of what's been said here, that's not a scene in which you play as Shenhua, and not necessarily one that even involves Shenhua at all.

Her (most likely outdated) model's being used as a stand-in for another character, for whom they presumably didn't have a model yet, simply for the purposes of testing the scene and the dialog, etc.

I kind of figured the camera was on her, but it was Ryo and Shenhua speaking with another character off-screen.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:46 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Well, from my understanding of what's been said here, that's not a scene in which you play as Shenhua, and not necessarily one that even involves Shenhua at all.

I kind of figured the camera was on her, but it was Ryo and Shenhua speaking with another character off-screen.

That's what I figured too, but Sweaty brought up a scenario that hadn't entered my mind.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:41 pm

mrandyk wrote:That's what I figured too, but Sweaty brought up a scenario that hadn't entered my mind.

It's certainly possible, but using the model for one of your main characters as a placeholder for a lesser character could get confusing for developers, and I'm sure UE4 has plenty of stock model options that would work just as well as a temporary placeholder.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:51 pm

I wonder what the next update is going to be?

Maybe it will be centered on the updated character models? Perhaps we will get a look at the finalized Ryo and Shenhua?? Or perhaps even... he who shall not be named....?

Now that we're just about 1/2 way through the (announced) development schedule of Shenmue 3, I'd expect the updates to start getting more concrete moving forward.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:14 am

I expect nothing worth. We're too close to the following Sony events now.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:37 am

Yokosuka wrote: I expect nothing worth. We're too close to the following Sony events now.

It's kind of a pot luck what we'll get, but I don't think that's because of Sony's TGS. The game likely won't be up to scratch for a conference showing just yet, and ultimately, Sony's TGS is going to be really, really hardware focused. Shenmue III might get lost in the mix, and seems a better fit for fan-pleasing fodder PSX is known for anyway.

Cedric said before/after the last update that he hopes they'll show something more substantial in the coming months, so I wouldn't throw away all hopes of a strong game-focused update through Kickstarter.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous

Return to Shenmue III