Sega Europe: Shenmue 1 and 2 remakes have our full attention

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega Europe: Shenmue 1 and 2 remakes have our full atten

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:42 am

MaxTheRabbit wrote: I don't see what they would stand to gain by BSing the fans if they were never going to do it - I'm inclined to take the article at face value

The real trouble is his argument based on contracts. :lol: If these contracts are so important, can we really believe that Sega has no secured deals before the confirmation of Shenmue III like Sega Europe stated? Of course not, even the most amateurish company would not make that mistake. It sadly feels like Sega is already preparing the ground to anticipate massive disappointment from the fans. Last year, Sega aimed to restore the trust from old fans and his statement is the appropriate continuation of this. With Shenmue III a real thing, they can't keep silence anymore.

It would be interesting to hear what they could say about Skies of Arcadia now lol.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kintor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:04 am

Yokosuka wrote:
MaxTheRabbit wrote: The real trouble is his argument based on contracts. :lol: If these contracts are so important, can we really believe that Sega has no secured deals before the confirmation of Shenmue III like Sega Europe stated? Of course not, even the most amateurish company would not make that mistake. It sadly feels like Sega is already preparing the ground to anticipate massive disappointment from the fans. Last year, Sega aimed to restore the trust from old fans and this statement is the appropriate continuation of this. With Shenmue III a real thing, they can't keep silence anymore.

The legal situation is most certainly going to be a lot more complex then you're making it seem here. Even amongst the licence holders that still exist today there could unexpected complications preventing that sort of product placement in Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. Deals will need to be renegotiated, legal messes untangled; assuming that some random lawyers don't decide to make Sega's task more difficult in the name of 'protecting' their parent company from liability, because corporate lawyers are paid to be paranoid for a living. Regardless, I'm confident that Sega is doing everything they can to make Shenmue 1 and 2 HD a reality, in light of Shenmue 3's successful Kickstarter campaign.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:29 am

I hardly believe the complex situation thing because I see no sense to make the situation even harder by deciding to do nothing until Shenmue III comes. The negotiating part will be a kind of hell now. The best moment to solve the legal issues was certainly the years prior the Kickstarter. By the way, Sega was the first company to know about the Yu's crowdfunding project. They had plenty of time to prepare Shenmue HD without specific complication.
I can't believe neither that these contracts lie with product placement that you can easily replace ingame but if Coca Cola and Sprite really managed to get a forever contract at the time, yeah it's a hard one for Sega.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:40 am

Yokosuka wrote: I hardly believe the complex situation thing because I see no sense to make the situation even harder by deciding to do nothing until Shenmue III comes. The negotiating part will be a kind of hell now. The best moment to solve the legal issues was certainly the years prior the Kickstarter. By the way, Sega was the first company to know about the Yu's crowdfunding project. They had plenty of time to prepare Shenmue HD without specific complication.
I can't believe neither that these contracts lie with product placement that you can easily replace ingame but if Coca Cola and Sprite really managed to get a forever contract at the time, yeah it's a hard one for Sega.

Nobody except you is talking about waiting to solve this issue until Shenmue 3 is released. Even assuming that Shenmue 3 itself doesn't get delayed at point that still easily leaves a year or more for Sega to make Shenmue 1 and 2 HD a reality. It might even make sense to hold Shenmue 1 and 2 HD back until close to the release of Shenmue 3, to maximise the impact of both being released in close succession. Yet, the important thing to note here is that there's no way that Sega would suddenly confirm Shenmue 1 and 2 HD in a magazine interview. The best we can get at the moment is the continued assurance that Sega is working on problem, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to say.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:53 am

By not doing nothing, I meant definitely fix the legal issues before it's too late. If it's really a contract problem, they should have accepted the deals offered by the involved third-party companies before the Shenmue 3 annoucement. These third-party companies are now in position of strength and Sega will potentially lose more money than they could save if they trusted Yu from the beginning, at least for his kickstarter project. That's why this story has no sense imo.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:02 am

Yokosuka wrote: By not doing nothing, I meant definitely fix the legal issues before it's too late. If it's really a contract problem, they should have accepted the deals offered by the involved third-party companies before the Shenmue 3 annoucement. These third-party companies are now in position of strength and Sega will potentially lost more money than they could save if they trusted Yu from the beginning, at least for his kickstarter project. That's why this story has no sense imo.

while Shenmue 1 and 2 HD hasn't been announced yet Sega is still working towards making it all happen. Hardly untoward seeing as how we're still probably 18 months or more away from the eventual release of Shenmue 3. This leaves plenty of time for Sega to work on Shenmue 1 and 2 HD and then time the release to closely match that of Shenmue 3 itself. Indeed, the only thing out of place here is your unrealistic expectation that Sega would just blurt out a major game announcement in the middle of a magazine interview. The phrase "we're still working on it" is the best outcome at the moment and shouldn't be any cause for concern.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:12 am

I didn't expect a game announcement, I expected a better justification from Sega.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:26 am

Yokosuka wrote: I didn't expect a game announcement, I expected a better justification from Sega.

Honestly, you're reading way too much into this. This magazine interview is neither the time nor place for Sega to go into specific details about Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. We already knew that Sega wants to make this happen. Just as we already knew Sega isn't ready to make an official announcement yet. So, nothing ground breaking, this interview was just a harmless opportunity to touch base.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:27 am

Honestly?

I don't trust the "official" statement about licended prducts they are throwing at us since last may with Dan Sheridan answer to #AskSega basically indentical to what Post said in the MCV article.

I really hope they're "just pulling the wool over our eyes".

Why?

Because their communication is tremendously bad?
Or maybe because Shenmue 3 release date is not carved in stone yet and they don't know when to release Shenmue 1&2 HD and consequently when to announce them?
What if the licensing "issues" are the only excuse they found in order to be free to announce the remasters at their convenient time?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 am

GYO6161 wrote:Maybe they just want good publicity and keeping sega looking good at the eyes of the fans but they been doing this for so long none of the fans are buying it anymore. So its kinda ridiculous if they are still going at it with empty teasin.

Paying lip service isn't good publicity though, because A.) it's not like people are going to forget about these comments, and B.) they've been widely reported by games new sites. If they never intended to do anything, they'd save themselves the PR headache and just not talk about it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:28 am

Barking dogs don't bite. How about effing doing it instead of talking about it?

I've got no further comment on Sega. Stop the trash talk and get to work! My wallet is yours, if you do!
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:32 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:Barking dogs don't bite.

I thought it was "Dragons Don't Sleep"? :lol:
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Polling fans' priorities: https://twitter.com/TeamYu/status/772134755462701056 (expires in 13.5 hours)
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:25 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote:Barking dogs don't bite.

I thought it was "Dragons Don't Sleep"? :lol:

I'm pretty sure it was something along the lines of "We are working on it." or "The S1 & 2 remasters are in production right now." :D

Jokes aside, this kind of trash talk is the last thing we need from Sega at the moment. They need to get to work. If they cannot renew all of the old licensing contracts, they need to replace it with generic brands like "Sega Bank", "Jet Cola" and "AM2 Electronics".

No point in dragging such negotiations on for months and months to come.

Another option is of course that such licensing issues don't really exist and it's all just a cheap excuse for doing fuck all about the remasters.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:03 am

Believe me, the licencing issues do exist with the in-game branding. It's very tricky ground trying to bring up 20 year old contracts that incredibly likely had no clause for re-release in them. It's a legal minefield, and they have to progress very carefully to avoid blowing the whole thing up.

I am completely certain they will do a retexturing option for brands they can't get on-board, but again, SEGA have said they want to do completely faithful remasters which means at least attempting to get the licencing sorted for now and in the future.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III