Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Monkei » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:54 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: Not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I never thought I'd see the day that Sega would post about Shenmue lol My stomach went crazy when I spotted it:

Image


Jesus. Fifteen years. I can't believe how much time has passed.
User avatar
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: June 2015

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:57 pm

They need to do the same for Saturn games now.
User avatar
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2014
Location: France
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Yama » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Logically it would make the most sense to be at PSX, I'm still very hopeful. A few months ago there were a good amount of confirmed titles I was made aware of, it wasn't one of them. This very well could have changed since then, based on the knowledge of Suzuki-san being in the area around the same time, I think it's looking plausible. Either way we are going to see something soon, that much we know. Fingers crossed for PSX though.

Spaghetti wrote:.

Rikitatsu wrote:.

Kiske wrote:.


Without a doubt, I'm with you. It also wasn't said it wouldn't be there, just that it was not mentioned alongside many confirmed titles which didn't seem hopeful at the time. But like we said, many things change last minute with these shows, for better or worse. Fingers crossed, I still feel hopeful.
Image

Yama has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, Rikitatsu, Spaghetti
User avatar
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner
 
Joined: December 2003
Location: Los Angeles
PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Himuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Himuro wrote:Are these lots of indie and smaller titles with actual gameplay footage?

Depends. Fez 2 (before it got canned, lmao) got a buzz with just a logo, and I remember Volume's reveal trailer (which did have technically gameplay footage) getting attention with mostly fruity narration and test environments.

These aren't Shenmue III though. They don't have the legacy, they didn't have the explosive reveal. But again, it's not actually a bad thing that the game has pretty much vanished from gamer consciousness except for the odd "whatever happened to ___?" It'll only benefit the game more when it comes out from left field and (hopefully) surprises people.


They don't have the legacy or explosive reveal but they do have a new game. Why would anyone care more about Shenmue III than Fez 2 that isn't a Shenmue fan? Shenmue II was 15 years ago. 14 if you're talking about IIx. Fez came out in 2012. That's a few years ago and still fresh in peoples minds. Shenmue though? 15 years without a new game is a long fucking time in the game industry. What are you expecting? Of course people are more excited about that. There's nothing to grasp on to Shenmue III for non-fans. There's been no trailer, no in-depth gameplay footage or anything. Fez 2 is going to garner interest because people who play games now have actually played it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: May 2006

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Yama wrote: Logically it would make the most sense to be at PSX, I'm still very hopeful. A few months ago there were a good amount of confirmed titles I was made aware of, it wasn't one of them. This very well could have changed since then, based on the knowledge of Suzuki-san being in the area around the same time, I think it's looking plausible. Either way we are going to see something soon, that much we know. Fingers crossed for PSX though.

Without a doubt, I'm with you. It also wasn't said it wouldn't be there, just that it was not mentioned alongside many confirmed titles which didn't seem hopeful at the time. But like we said, many things change last minute with these shows, for better or worse. Fingers crossed, I still feel hopeful.

Luckily this all kind of gels with what we know from Cedric about working to meet a deadline, so I'm not surprised it didn't show on a list of confirmed titles a few months ago. Possibly wouldn't even show on a list generated now, depending on when the submission deadline is. If we get the trailer, it's coming in hot.

But yeah, all we can do now is hope for the best. There are compelling reasons why it could, and should be there, but this deadline obstacle isn't something they can work around.

It's Schrödinger's Shenmue!

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Rikitatsu, Switch
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Yama » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Spaghetti wrote:Luckily this all kind of gels with what we know from Cedric about working to meet a deadline, so I'm not surprised it didn't show on a list of confirmed titles a few months ago. Possibly wouldn't even show on a list generated now, depending on when the submission deadline is. If we get the trailer, it's coming in hot.

But yeah, all we can do now is hope for the best. There are compelling reasons why it could, and should be there, but this deadline obstacle isn't something they can work around.

It's Schrödinger's Shenmue!


I'm seeing it this way as well. Sadly I haven't been able to breathe much lately due to work so haven't kept up, but based on all the recent happenings this timeline definitely helps support the fact that it will be there, the deadline bit especially makes me feel better. All the pieces are coming together for a nice reveal.
Image
User avatar
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner
 
Joined: December 2003
Location: Los Angeles
PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Spaghetti wrote:It's Schrödinger's Shenmue!


Image

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, Spaghetti, Yokosuka
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: January 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Kiske » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:It's Schrödinger's Shenmue!


Image


:lol:

We should stop peeking into the box or we may kill the "cat" before its time!
Those, who follow the path of a warrior, must be ready to die, in order to stand for one's convictions, live for one's convictions, die for one's convictions. That is how I lived my life.

Image
User avatar
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: August 2015
Location: Switzerland
PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Sappharad » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Peter wrote:- They already pulled out of E3 last minute, also rearranging the summer LA dinner as a result.

Unless you know something privately to that respect, I don't think that is what happened. It seems likely to me that the lack of presence was intentional from Sony's end and not YSNet.

We know that Adam and Gio visited Yu Suzuki the month before E3 and neither of them were presenters during Sony's E3 press conference this year. They were usually in charge of presenting the third party stuff. (I can't remember if Adam left before or after E3, but Gio Corsi has handled 3rd party presentations at past events as well.) Sony's E3 this year was extremely bare on third-party content compared to last year. All of the titles this year were huge, big budget titles where the live orchestra could play pre-planned music along with the event. Smaller niche titles were left out seemingly intentionally, there were no indie game montages like the one for Devolver Digital prior to Shenmue 3's announcement, no mention of Ni No Kuni 2 which was announced at PSX last year, actually there was very little in the way of talking compared to usual. They spent the majority of the time just showing long stretches of in-game play of various titles.

I wonder if possibly it ended up this way because of Adam's decision to leave. Maybe the 3rd party stuff had to get cut at the last minute because there wasn't enough time for Gio to organize it all himself or them to get another presenter to help with 3rd party stuff. But with the live orchestra I think it limited what that could show because they wanted to center it around things the orchestra could play music for, so maybe it was intentional the whole time.

PSX sounds like it should go back to their more typical format, and be packed more densely with games. I was kind of disappointed with E3 just because it was rather bare on content that I'm interested in as they focused mostly on AAA titles.


Regarding Shenmue 3 at PSX: This isn't really anything new, but if it's supposed to be a secret then Cedric isn't going to tell you outright that it's going to be there. It would be easier in that case for him to outright say they won't be there, because he wouldn't be breaking any promises or agreements with anyone by saying they're not involved. You have less than 2 weeks to wait, and he hasn't outright denied it. I'm fine with 50/50 odds. Especially since they announced Sonic Mania and Yakuza 0 will be playable, that makes my trip worth it. (Along with the non-Sega titles I was already interested in like Last Guardian coming out the day after I get back)
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: October 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:32 am

Kiske wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Announcing a PC version on an exclusive Sony stage, really?

Maybe I'm reading the intent wrong, but I assume they mean at the same time as the PSX reveal they'll be adding the PC version to the Slacker Backer site, rather than announcing it at PSX.


That's what I meant. Not specifically announce a PC version for the slacker backer campaign of course, but ideally, end the trailer with the pre-order page link, like in Dreamcaster's Tube fantastic video and at the same time, add the PC version to SB and publish an extra Kickstarter update covering the PSX reveal + the PC version addition.

Image

...

Hey Spags, I was checking NeoGaf forums for PSX news and I came across this post from our Dojo friend "ShenmueGuru" :king:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=769

I'm shocked by the lack of reaction to his message in more than 8 pages following it. Now, I'm not GAF expert and it has always been kind of a strange beast to me, but is this indicative on how deep Shenmue 3 has gone in average gamers minds since E3 2015?

In a way, it would be even more great to have a trailer at PSX because it's apparently not that expected and would probably be the perfect "re-reveal" event for Shenmue 3.

Anyway... 11 days to go! :mad:

seriously who cares about neogaf? an online forum is as unimportant as my public hair is for you
User avatar
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: November 2005
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:38 am

Himuro wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Himuro wrote:Are these lots of indie and smaller titles with actual gameplay footage?

Depends. Fez 2 (before it got canned, lmao) got a buzz with just a logo, and I remember Volume's reveal trailer (which did have technically gameplay footage) getting attention with mostly fruity narration and test environments.

These aren't Shenmue III though. They don't have the legacy, they didn't have the explosive reveal. But again, it's not actually a bad thing that the game has pretty much vanished from gamer consciousness except for the odd "whatever happened to ___?" It'll only benefit the game more when it comes out from left field and (hopefully) surprises people.


They don't have the legacy or explosive reveal but they do have a new game. Why would anyone care more about Shenmue III than Fez 2 that isn't a Shenmue fan? Shenmue II was 15 years ago. 14 if you're talking about IIx. Fez came out in 2012. That's a few years ago and still fresh in peoples minds. Shenmue though? 15 years without a new game is a long fucking time in the game industry. What are you expecting? Of course people are more excited about that. There's nothing to grasp on to Shenmue III for non-fans. There's been no trailer, no in-depth gameplay footage or anything. Fez 2 is going to garner interest because people who play games now have actually played it.

ugh stop trying to be this "forced" mr negative here. of course everyone is more excited about shenmue 3. did you sleep under a rock when it was revealed at e3? internet was on fire. shenmue is far more known than fez, or whatever
User avatar
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: November 2005
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:22 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Yama wrote: Logically it would make the most sense to be at PSX, I'm still very hopeful. A few months ago there were a good amount of confirmed titles I was made aware of, it wasn't one of them. This very well could have changed since then, based on the knowledge of Suzuki-san being in the area around the same time, I think it's looking plausible. Either way we are going to see something soon, that much we know. Fingers crossed for PSX though.

Without a doubt, I'm with you. It also wasn't said it wouldn't be there, just that it was not mentioned alongside many confirmed titles which didn't seem hopeful at the time. But like we said, many things change last minute with these shows, for better or worse. Fingers crossed, I still feel hopeful.

Luckily this all kind of gels with what we know from Cedric about working to meet a deadline, so I'm not surprised it didn't show on a list of confirmed titles a few months ago. Possibly wouldn't even show on a list generated now, depending on when the submission deadline is. If we get the trailer, it's coming in hot.

But yeah, all we can do now is hope for the best. There are compelling reasons why it could, and should be there, but this deadline obstacle isn't something they can work around.

It's Schrödinger's Shenmue!


I've just seen your last tweet to Cedric with no answer. If there were not prepared any surprises I think he would have said something but he didn't, so he sure don't want to spoil nothing.
User avatar
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: July 2016
Location: Spain
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:01 am

Hazuki00 wrote:I've just seen your last tweet to Cedric with no answer. If there were not prepared any surprises I think he would have said something but he didn't, so he sure don't want to spoil nothing.

Yeah, I'm not taking it for or against, but I do believe Cedric would honestly tell us if YSnet had missed the deadline and a PSX showing was impossible.
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Kiske » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:20 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote:I've just seen your last tweet to Cedric with no answer. If there were not prepared any surprises I think he would have said something but he didn't, so he sure don't want to spoil nothing.

Yeah, I'm not taking it for or against, but I do believe Cedric would honestly tell us if YSnet had missed the deadline and a PSX showing was impossible.


Cédric is holding a conference in Belgium today. Maybe he simply doesn't have the time/opportunity to answer.

If the intention is to show something at PSX, I'm sure YsNet will work overnight if necessary.
In a nutshell, I'm confident! :)
Those, who follow the path of a warrior, must be ready to die, in order to stand for one's convictions, live for one's convictions, die for one's convictions. That is how I lived my life.

Image
User avatar
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: August 2015
Location: Switzerland
PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:33 am

Kiske wrote:Cédric is holding a conference in Belgium today. Maybe he simply doesn't have the time/opportunity to answer.

If the intention is to show something at PSX, I'm sure YsNet will work overnight if necessary.
In a nutshell, I'm confident! :)

Also true! Though, I think he'd probably try to get out ahead of the issue ASAP if PSX was totally out of the question. They've got to know there's a level of expectation building for them to be there.

Next week's Kickstarter update is going to be interesting. I have literally no idea whether they'll use it to tease, or just play it cool like nothing is coming.
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net