Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby ChiefNeo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:14 pm

Himuro wrote:
Sappharad wrote: Hey everyone. I'll keep this quick, still at PSX. I spoke to Gio Corsi in person. Sony was never approached by Suzuki's team about showing at PSX. It was never planned, not cancelled. He believes they'll show backers first. That's about it.

I'm laughing.

It's clear to me at this point that you are viewing this under a very different light than me. I think the fact that this game is a Kickstarter project is a huge wart on its face. I wanted it to be a fully funded published game. You? You are complaining about not being kept in the development loop. All your complaints about being kept in the dark, as if it were critical that you be up to speed...that's all Kickstarter garbage. The game is a Kickstarter project, true, but THAT alone is the basis of your complaints. If all you cared about is the fact that the game exists, this would bother you, but not make you go into a tantrum.

Nothing about your anger is anything other than "this is kickstarter, I DESERVE to know!”
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby mrandyk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:39 pm

A full reveal should be contingent on how much development remains, not how much time has passed since development began. I doubt Shenmue 3 comes out in December 2017. I think we are still 18-24 months away from release. In order to capture gamers and make Shenmue 3 a success I believe it to be best to lay out the reveal trailer 6-9 months before release. Any earlier and people will lose interest, any later and there isn't enough time to build hype.

I did not expect the reveal at PSX. We received zero indications from anyone involved with the development of this game to expect a reveal. I hope that in the future our members don't let hype build to dangerous levels without any evidence to back that hype.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sappharad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Now that the show is over and I'm back at my laptop, I can elaborate a bit more.

I mentioned to Gio the stuff about fans suggesting it might be there, including Cedric Biscay's comments that they were preparing a trailer for December. He genuinely seemed like wasn't aware of any of it, and he was not dodging any questions that I asked. He confirmed that Sony is still interested in helping to promote Shenmue, and as I mentioned in my previous post there were never plans to show the game at PSX. It even sounded like he wasn't expecting to see more from them until next year before I mentioned the December stuff. I don't remember the exact way he said it, but it sounded to me like he felt a trailer would probably go directly to backers rather than being presented at a show without notice.

Ultimately, I think we were all making connections that were convenient but there weren't there. I'm over it already.

I also asked him about Phantasy Star Online 2 on building the list, and he says he gets requests for it all the time and always passes them on. Ball is in Sega's court on that. I thanked him for their continued efforts to bring Yakuza games to the west, but ultimately that was all we talked about. It was nice that he was wandering around the indie booths at the show, it took a bit to find him though. Had to follow his Twitter and use his tweets to figure out where he was. :-)

Sappharad has received 6 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Kintor, Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty, Monkei, Mr357
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ChiefNeo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:45 pm

mrandyk wrote: A full reveal should be contingent on how much development remains, not how much time has passed since development began. I doubt Shenmue 3 comes out in December 2017. I think we are still 18-24 months away from release. In order to capture gamers and make Shenmue 3 a success I believe it to be best to lay out the reveal trailer 6-9 months before release. Any earlier and people will lose interest, any later and there isn't enough time to build hype.

I did not expect the reveal at PSX. We received zero indications from anyone involved with the development of this game to expect a reveal. I hope that in the future our members don't let hype build to dangerous levels without any evidence to back that hype.

Yup. There should be one big trailer that gets everyone pumped.

I genuinely do not get the people that want constant development updates with wireframing etc. Do you want the entire game spoiled or something?
ChiefNeo

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:53 pm

ChiefNeo wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Sappharad wrote: Hey everyone. I'll keep this quick, still at PSX. I spoke to Gio Corsi in person. Sony was never approached by Suzuki's team about showing at PSX. It was never planned, not cancelled. He believes they'll show backers first. That's about it.

I'm laughing.

It's clear to me at this point that you are viewing this under a very different light than me. I think the fact that this game is a Kickstarter project is a huge wart on its face. I wanted it to be a fully funded published game. You? You are complaining about not being kept in the development loop. All your complaints about being kept in the dark, as if it were critical that you be up to speed...that's all Kickstarter garbage. The game is a Kickstarter project, true, but THAT alone is the basis of your complaints. If all you cared about is the fact that the game exists, this would bother you, but not make you go into a tantrum.

Nothing about your anger is anything other than "this is kickstarter, I DESERVE to know!”

Spare me. My "complaining" is from accepting the situation as is. Would I prefer it not be a KS game? Yeah. But it is. And because it is, they have certain ogbligations and that's it. Their communication has been terrible and if what Gio said is true is more poor communication.

punkmanced wrote: Another case of miscommunication.
Perhaps we as backers will get a year-end update with some new footage/ screens, etc.

In any case, not having planned to capitalize on the PSX opportunity....is just....retarded.

Yup. I think the poor communication is a joke at this point and cannot not laugh at this entire debacle.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kintor » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:51 pm

Himuro wrote:Spare me. My "complaining" is from accepting the situation as is. Would I prefer it not be a KS game? Yeah. But it is. And because it is, they have certain ogbligations and that's it. Their communication has been terrible and if what Gio said is true is more poor communication.

For what it's worth I've backed numerous Kickstarters over the years, although Shenmue 3 is by far the larger sum of money that I've ever pledged to a crowd funding project. As such, I've observed many different kinds of approaches to communication, some projects communicate quite regularly and others operate on radio silence for months before posting anything new.

Amongst these I have to say that the level of communication displayed in regards to Shenmue 3 has actually been really good. We get monthly updates and occasionally even more, thanks to Yu Suzuki's evident appreciation for the Shenmue fanbase. So while PSX might have been a bust it doesn't matter that much in the greater scheme of things, there's still plenty of time between now and Shenmue 3's release to find the right time and place to reveal a new trailer.

Kintor has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Spaghetti
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 am

Plot gettin' thicker than day old gravy... but not really as none of this means anything besides weeks more of navel gazing.

This thread has probably ran its course now, though. Letting it burn out is preferable to just locking it. We'll have something else to talk about soon enough.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:49 am

Kintor wrote:
Himuro wrote:Spare me. My "complaining" is from accepting the situation as is. Would I prefer it not be a KS game? Yeah. But it is. And because it is, they have certain ogbligations and that's it. Their communication has been terrible and if what Gio said is true is more poor communication.

For what it's worth I've backed numerous Kickstarters over the years, although Shenmue 3 is by far the larger sum of money that I've ever pledged to a crowd funding project. As such, I've observed many different kinds of approaches to communication, some projects communicate quite regularly and others operate on radio silence for months before posting anything new.

Amongst these I have to say that the level of communication displayed in regards to Shenmue 3 has actually been really good. We get monthly updates and occasionally even more, thanks to Yu Suzuki's evident appreciation for the Shenmue fanbase. So while PSX might have been a bust it doesn't matter that much in the greater scheme of things, there's still plenty of time between now and Shenmue 3's release to find the right time and place to reveal a new trailer.

Maybe I feel this way because it's my first KS and it also happens to be my most anticipated game of all time. Thanks for the clarification on how KS usually works.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to Shenmue III