Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:43 pm

Snoopbob2006 wrote: There was nothing official to go off right? I understand it's disappointing but at least it's still happening. Pitch forks away everyone. I understand everyone has thoughts that have been building up as the months go by but just remember the game you have been waiting around 15 years for is going to be ours within a couple of years.

There is no excuse. They have taken the money over 70k people and have gained nearly 7 million dollars. Not showing Jack shit for over a year is inexcusable. If the project is having trouble communicate that. While Cedric is telling us December 2017, we still haven't seen anything of note. Zero screens since Ferbruary. No updated model. No direct feed video of Shenhua's house. They think it's okay to release videos made in August of this year with absolutely zero updates on how this game is doing in development. A lot of us gave this game 100 dollars or more. Some gave a fortune. I was fully prepared to give 300 extra dollars to the PayPal if they showed a trailer at PSX. Nope. Pitchforks out.

Himuro has received 3 thanks from: BlackHeaven, iyapol, RiGoRmOrTiS
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:00 pm

They showed some stuff let's not be apocLyptical.

shredingskin has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, Spaghetti
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:03 pm

shredingskin wrote: They showed some stuff let's not be apocLyptical.

They've shown a few screen shots, and a game test walk through available only to people who attended magic Monaco or paid 10k dollars in the past year.

ChiefNeo wrote:
Himuro wrote:
ChiefNeo wrote:
O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
There was this promise in the beginning that backers would have an unprecedented level of involvement with the development of the game, and they've done such a lousy job fulfilling it.

Thank God for that. I was never too keen on that idea. I don't want backers interfering on the game's development. I'm not paying to have a game made by us, but by Yu Suzuki and his team.

Personally, as a backer myself (who spent almost €200 on this project), the only thing I think Yu and co. owe me is a great game which lives up to the Shenmue name. In fact, I quite dislike something that is very common in the videogame industry and that is the fact that games are announced way before their release dates. I understand that they need to hype them, for marketing reasons, but, as a gamer, I just want the game and I want it to be good, not to spend 2 or 3 years getting screenshots and videos. Obviously, since this was a Kickstarter project, it had to be announced at a very early stage, so, as someone else mentioned already, it is only natural that it seems to be taking longer than usual for them to come up with something substantial to shoe to the public. Fine by me. After all, I'm a Shenmue fan. I know how to be patient. And I assume everyone else here knows too (or should know). And I'm fine with these Kickstarter "non-updates" we've been having too. Just let them focus on making the game. All I'm interested in is the final product.

And if this means that, when they finally do show some video which is more representative of what the actual game will look like, they're going to show us a proper trailer, with gameplay, cutscenes bits, different characters and whatnot, then great.
Because fuck teasers videos! They just... well, tease. Either show us something proper, or nothing at all. So I'd rather have nothing now and later have a proper trailer which will blow me away and give me an actual idea of what the game will be like, than having a teaser that shows nothing and just teases.

Anyway, this game won't come out for a very long time (we'll be lucky if we get it in 2018), so there's plenty of time to hype it and market it. No need to worry (yet) about the possibility of development being a mess which will result in a shitty game. It simply wasn't shown at PSX. Big deal. No one said it would.

Here here. That's my thoughts exactly. We will get a game eventually. Quit your whining. All this "woe is me, how dare they." 2 years ago I'd have given my left nut to have this game in production. Now it is. And no, I don't want backers telling yu what to do. I don't even want your names and likeness in the game. I want shenmue 3 not a Kickstarter project.

Yes, let's keep it absolutely positive. It's worked out so well this far! There's zero reason at all to critique! Let's just fanthing it up!

It's not about blind positivism but about understanding that this game is a massive undertaking. I never wanted to "help develope it" and be super involved. I gave Yu money to make the game. He is. He can't show much at this point it seems. What do you get out of your stress and anger? Do you want him to apologize and show you assets? The guy knows what fans expect. He has passion for it and is doing all he can. All he owes you is a game. As far as we know , he is working on it. Stop acting like a teenager. Praising the man a week ago and now crying and complaining. Temper yourself.

Yu isn't making this game alone. Who said anything about complaining about Yu? I said Ys Net, not Yu Suzuki. Stop acting like Yu Suzuki is making this game alone. Complaining and whining? Get over yourself. These criticisms are justified and are hardly aimed at one person.

As for the game being a massive undertaking, sure. It is. No one said it wasn't. But it'd be helpful if we had any idea how far along it is. It'd be helpful to see at least a basic environmental video that I described earlier. It'd be helpful if they actually released footage that they keep showing to people who pains fortune rather than discuss that you use tense music during tense moments in a video game.
Last edited by Himuro on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: BlackHeaven, iyapol
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:10 pm

I know for a fact the game is nowhere near presentable at this point so I understand them wanting to wait until they have something to show off.

What I don't understand is why Ryo's and Shenhua's models weren't updated yet. It's obviously something that would make fans happy and isn't particularly very time consuming.
Last edited by killthesagabeforeitkillsu on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby darksniper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:11 pm

FFVII remake wasn't shown either. While I'm disappointed it's best to remain relaxed for now and wait and see what happens
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:30 pm

Well, colour me disappointed. Not angry, just disappointed.

The team missed a truly great opportunity to show Shenmue III at arguably the most memorable PSX event - where it could have sat proudly amongst a heavy-hitter like The Last of Us - Part II - but instead it was a no-show.

Big mistake on their part. Not only have they missed out on the opportunity to thrust the game back into the limelight, and relevancy, with a real trailer, but now people are worrying about the state of the game, and as a Kickstarter project, that's usually a death sentence from the internet.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: iyapol
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:40 pm

To make matters worse, my ideal scenario was a trailer showing off basic gameplay and then at the end of the trailer announcing a release date for the trial which is slated currently for early next year. With no updates on the actual game the trial's status is now up in the air. It will be the first true test for this game in terms of release schedule. If the trial is delayed in any meaningful time frame, that spells trouble. By comparison, Bloodstained released a short clip of gameplay, had the same demo at E3 and then released the demo to backers. If we haven't seen gameplay by February (early 2017, when the trial is said to release), this game is in trouble. The media will destroy it and there may be no going back.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:42 pm

What bothers me is all those tweets of Cedric saying that they will show something not before december or 'today I say yes to look fordward to psx' or time machine to go dec 17... He should not troll like that if don't know a thing about the development.

Now it seems it doesn't work the PayPal and they lost one big opportunity to show the game in a big event, next E3?

They should inform the backers about the progress and give some explanations about the ausence of the pc version on PayPal. They don't say a shit and that is a problem :agrue:

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: Gavan
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Just want to say thank you again to Mr357 for the amazing job on Shenmue 2 the Movie - Remastered. Not just that, but now all the messages have stopped, I can sit and come down from all the negativity as I watch Ryo arrive in Guilin right now, and it is calming me down and making me smile. A moment I needed so very much after today. There is a context here. Just trying to think of the bigger picture here.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: alexironaek, James Brown, Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Not to mention that Bloodstained was shown at only 10 percent completion and said so and people loved it.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: Himuro
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:17 pm

The fact that this thread has devolved into baseless conspiracy theories just shows how far it has jumped into madness.

The no-show was disappointing but let's not get crazy here.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado, Shenhua-Nani?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Theirs 2 sides to this coin.
I think some of you are forgetting how many huge high profile games were shown off at the same time. Last of Us 2, Ni no Kuni 2, RE7, GT Sport, Parapa the Rappa Remaster, Crash Bandicoot Remaster, Uncharted DLC, Gravity Daze 2, numerous others.. so many more it would be asinine to list.
And thats the problem, if they show off Shenmue 3 at PSX its kind of an "ofcourse they did" moment. The impact and full attention of the gaming community is stretched thin for attention atm.
If they want to make another splash like they did with E3, they should do it on their own terms when the likes of IGN and Gamespot will make a big deal about it in headlines in the middle of a random slow news week. Just imagine the entire gaming community hearing the only big news that week was Shenmue 3.
tbh i'm glad it wasn't shown. Maybe it was penciled in but then they were told what else is being announced at the same time last minute and they decided to pull out. Smart move if so.
I want nothing else to distract from Shenmue 3.
Last edited by Axm on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby punkmanced » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:19 pm

I trust Yu & co will make a solid game that makes us all smile in the end.

The problem is... everything in between the KS record and the game’s actual release (whenever that is). All the missed opportunities. The miscommunications. The lousy KS/ Slacker Backer team.

It feels like amateurism at this point, plain and simple.

PS- Cedric’s a good guy; in fact, he stepped up at the right time and was fundamental in making everything happen. With that said, he needs to GTFO Twitter ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:20 pm

I'll digress a bit and err with the optimistics here, but I will say this:

If we do not have anything tangible by March 2017, around the time the Trial would exist, we should all be very concerned. That would be over a year since the last time we got anything.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Valascaziel wrote: I'll digress a bit and err with the optimistics here, but I will say this:

If we do not have anything tangible by March 2017, around the time the Trial would exist, we should all be very concerned. That would be over a year since the last time we got anything.

While I don't agree we should be worried if we don't see anything before an arbitrary date like March next year, we should most definitely put the pitchforks and torches away for a bit.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III