Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:40 pm

Valascaziel wrote: Not to mention that Bloodstained was shown at only 10 percent completion and said so and people loved it.

Yup. The fact that people say "Yu is a perfectionist" as an excuse is telling. When it comes to a Kickstarter game progress matters more than perfection in the overall progress of the game.

Himuro has received a thanks from: BlackHeaven
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:43 pm

Himuro wrote:Yup. The fact that people say "Yu is a perfectionist" as an excuse is telling. When it comes to a Kickstarter game progress matters more than perfection in the overall progress of the game.

Shenmue III is an apple, Bloodstained is an orange.

You can guess where I go next with this.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:45 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Himuro wrote:Yup. The fact that people say "Yu is a perfectionist" as an excuse is telling. When it comes to a Kickstarter game progress matters more than perfection in the overall progress of the game.

Shenmue III is an apple, Bloodstained is an orange.

You can guess where I go next with this.

Yes I do and I think you're being overly defensive.

Valascaziel wrote: I'll digress a bit and err with the optimistics here, but I will say this:

If we do not have anything tangible by March 2017, around the time the Trial would exist, we should all be very concerned. That would be over a year since the last time we got anything.

Absolutely. If there's nothing big on this game before or during its two year anniversary I fully expect a lot of backers to ask for refunds. It will be deserved as well.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:49 pm

You guys can be "worried" all you want about this timing and that. At the end of it all we will have the game completed eventually and none of us will will care about PSX 2016.

Axm has received 3 thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado, Spaghetti, Yama
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Himuro wrote:Yes I do and I think you're being overly defensive.

That's fine. I think you are working yourself into hysterics over this, but I'm not going to judge you for it.

I'm as upset as anybody about the no-show, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Some of the comments over the last few pages have been ridiculous and spurred by emotion rather than logic. Things are going to be tense here for the next few days, but we should try keeping our heads and not turn into an angry mob alleging this or that about situations we don't actually know about.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:58 pm

Axm wrote: You guys can be "worried" all you want about this timing and that. At the end of it all we will have the game completed eventually and none of us will will care about PSX 2016.

Honestly, I can't trust you to be objective here having paid 10k dollars. Of course you're not worried. It wouldn't be in your interest to be. If you paid that kind of money the game is no longer a reflection of just your favorite game series success but also your vast sum of cash as well. How could you possibly be objective about this? You paid that kind of money and toured around Dobuita and hung out with Suzuki himself. I don't want to read a single thing about our concerns not being taken seriously by someone who paid a small fortune to find the game. There's no possible way you could see this objectively and I hardly blame you because I'd feel the same exact way if I were in your shoes. If you think this is only about PSX 2016, you are either blind or being willfully ignorant.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jesse » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Eh I wouldn't say disappointed by the no show but a tad bit surprised. Though given all of the heavy hitters Sony brought out this year. I felt like it would've been swallowed up by all the other exclusives. After not appearing at e3 it would be a prime time spot to re-emerge here and a no Brainer but alas no dice. For what it's worth I don't think it'll make its December 2017 release date and selfishly I don't want it too. I would gladly wait til 2018 or 2020 however long it took til it's the proper 3rd installment in Yu's eyes.

I get people's frustration we all want the same thing but guys the hard part of clamoring for 15 years for it to be made is over. This is the easy part by comparison.

Let's all take a deep breath because the saga continues...
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Please don't try to psychoanalyse people over this, Himuro. I didn't pay 10K either and I'm not worried, or at the very least willing to give them more time to make good.

I'm let down, but I can think of dozens of reasons why it wasn't shown even with the promising run-up to the event.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Aimless Gamer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks so much for the stream Peter!

Aimless Gamer has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Spaghetti
Aimless Gamer

XBL: Aimless Gamer
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:18 pm

Yeah. It's already been said, but big props to Peter for putting on a great stream even if we didn't get to see what we all wanted to see.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:26 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Please don't try to psychoanalyse people over this, Himuro. I didn't pay 10K either and I'm not worried, or at the very least willing to give them more time to make good.

I'm let down, but I can think of dozens of reasons why it wasn't shown even with the promising run-up to the event.

It wasn't my intention to psychoanalyze. I was just merely articulating the reality of the situation. Axm waved away legitimate concerns, and it felt pretty arrogant to me to assume such a position while having the grand privilege of spending time with Suzuki and exploring Dobuita himself. He has invested far more than any of us with the exception of a few others and saying our "worries" as he put it don't matter because the game will be out eventually isn't exactly the best thing to say right now.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:58 pm

Himuro wrote:It wasn't my intention to psychoanalyze. I was just merely articulating the reality of the situation. Axm waved away legitimate concerns, and it felt pretty arrogant to me to assume such a position while having the grand privilege of spending time with Suzuki and exploring Dobuita himself. He has invested far more than any of us with the exception of a few others and saying our "worries" as he put it don't matter because the game will be out eventually isn't exactly the best thing to say right now.

I'm not really understanding the logic that backers who paid a lot of money are somehow hand-waving concerns. Surely if they paid 10k they would have a larger emotional investment in seeing the project come to light? Myself and many others who already posted in here didn't pay nearly as much as the Japan dinner backers, and we're not getting the pitchforks and torches out either.

It's understandable to be upset. We had a very promising run up to PSX and had almost every indication it could be there, but it wasn't.

I've wanted to see the game for ages and ages, and while the description of the Japan dinner footage was a nice way to tide us over, I'm as hungry as anybody to see the Shenmue III. What I'm not doing is going off my nut claiming we've been scammed, or the game is in trouble, or we should be looking for refunds, because it didn't make a showing. Making games is a long and difficult challenge, and the games press are particularly vicious when they smell blood in the water, plus there are so many variables about why they decided not to show anything that it isn't sensible to immediately assume something is wrong if they hold back publically showing the game.

YSnet staff, including YS himself, are sleeping at the office to get as much progress on the game done as possible. They're currently hiring cutscene artists, searching for a director (for cutscene motion capture or voice work is unknown), and have had Keiji Okayasu in as the game director for about half a year now. They're not sitting on their asses doing nothing. They are under an immense burden of pressure and do not want to disappoint. The radio silence sucks, but at least they're not wasting time developing a vertical slice that takes two months progress out of completing the final game.

All this means is now we know in the future that unless we are told directly and explicitly that the game will be at an event, do not expect it. It sucks to have to say that, but it's the only way we're going to stop the cycle of excitement and letdowns. They should throw us a bone with another development update video or some screens sooner rather than later, but let's not go crazy over this.

Axm is right though, for all the bellyaching and depression right now, eventually Shenmue III will be shown, and come out. Until that point, all we can do is go back to watching the ticking clock.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Monkei
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:38 am

Himuro, maybe you and some others may have it mistaken. I'm not a 10k backer. I just hung out with Peter, Adam and others during the Tokyo visit. Seeing as how I already live in Japan it was an easy meet up. Also I didn't meet Suzuki nor did a see/learn about any of the exclusive things the backers did. (nor did I want to)

So no, I have hardly a large personal/financial stake in this. Atleast not any more than the average backer. And even if I did, I don't see how it would drastically change my attitude about it.

The game is being made to the best of its ability. Thats all I know and care to know. Anything after that is so inconsequential to the final product to me. I couldn't care less if they showed me nothing at all until a few months before launch. And I don't care if they push it to 2018 or even 19. Infact I'd prefer if they did to reduce any unwarranted pressure from any direction.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Snoopbob2006, Spaghetti
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:53 am

Himuro wrote:
Snoopbob2006 wrote: There was nothing official to go off right? I understand it's disappointing but at least it's still happening. Pitch forks away everyone. I understand everyone has thoughts that have been building up as the months go by but just remember the game you have been waiting around 15 years for is going to be ours within a couple of years.

There is no excuse. They have taken the money over 70k people and have gained nearly 7 million dollars. Not showing Jack shit for over a year is inexcusable. If the project is having trouble communicate that. While Cedric is telling us December 2017, we still haven't seen anything of note. Zero screens since Ferbruary. No updated model. No direct feed video of Shenhua's house. They think it's okay to release videos made in August of this year with absolutely zero updates on how this game is doing in development. A lot of us gave this game 100 dollars or more. Some gave a fortune. I was fully prepared to give 300 extra dollars to the PayPal if they showed a trailer at PSX. Nope. Pitchforks out.

Yeah I gave as much as I possibly could to the kickstarter and I woke up today (in japan) and felt exactly the same as I did before I went to bed. I understand you are upset but how do you know where they are in development? I understand we could see scenery and maybe some new music but they will most likely want to show us more than than that.. maybe they want to give us something with actual voice acting in it or finished character models.. I would of never thought PSX would have been the breaking point for shenmue fans..
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:59 am

My biggest concern is where exposure, attention, and interest are concerned. Sure, we get monthly updates from the team covering a range of things, but what use is that when it's only the backers receiving those updates, plus a smattering of non-backers who come here or check the Kickstarter page every now and then? E3 was the best possible way to announce the game because it's the biggest gaming event in the world, and they fucking nailed it, but that was a year and a half ago; resting on one's laurels is absolutely not the way to go, especially where video games are concerned, so keeping those who are already aware of the game hyped and excited, and garnering interest from those who previously weren't bothered or didn't even know about the game, should be a priority. That is why showing Shenmue III at PSX would have be an incredible move; not only were people praying for it to happen, and showing it would have got them even more hyped and content with progress of the development, but it very well could have been the game's second wind following its reveal at E3 2015.

The game desperately needs a revitalisation in the form of a showing at a big event, but they knocked that on the head by doing a no-show, not only leaving backers and/or those looking forward to the game in the dark and also concerned with how the game is coming together, but also completely wasting the opportunity to garner new interest. Would it have killed them just to send a two minute trailer to be shown?

ShenGCH has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, iyapol
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III