Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:55 am

Spaghetti wrote:Hrm. Even if it doesn't appear at PSX, we do know through Cedric that the plan is to have some kind of picture/video update before 2017- so hopefully we aren't going away empty handed in December regardless.

I have to wonder how not appearing at PSX will impact the trial version. Yu said the intent was around Q1-Q2 2017. A December PSX reveal and Q1 trial version would be ideal for giving appropriate feedback heading into the planned December 2017 launch, but an E3 showing followed by trial version either confirms a delay or doesn't give enough time for the trial version to be worth it.

I will be really pissed off if it doesn't appear at psx, although as you said, there's another opportunity to see some pics or trailer in december's update.

About what Cedric said, I don't know what to think. He's always kind answering whatever questions people make but maybe he is just too eager to show something that it's not ready. Remember that he said several times they were going to put PC version on slacker backer campaing soon and...nothing at the moment.

Maybe it's a surprise and they don't want to spoil it...

What I do know that If they don't show Shenmue 3 at psx they are losing a big opportunity to make publicity and reach more people.

I hope I'm wrong...
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Kiske » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:11 am

Apart from what Cédric said, let's do not forget Peter's comments, pointing in the same direction.

Something great is soon to happen.

If they are ready for PSX, that's great from a mainstream marketing point of view.
If they are ready for the Christmas/New Year update, that's great for us, the fans.
If they are not ready before 2017... well, that sucks :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:19 am

Yama wrote:I would have went had there been confirmation, it's not far from me, but have been told it's not looking likely. Hoping to be surprised though.

That's.... interesting.

Perhaps plans have changed since September who knows. Either way, none of us will know until it happens so until then we can just look at the event face value and assess the possibility of there something being shown at the event. Here's a list I can compile:

- Nothing whatsoever has been shown in 9 months.
- They already pulled out of E3 last minute, also rearranging the summer LA dinner as a result.
- We were shown a trailer in September, which was more or less ready to go that month as is, never mind with all the extra work put in. We were also extremely hinted at, that it was for PSX.
- The event itself will be in LA, where Yu will be at the same time. Last time he has at a public event like that was MAGIC, where new footage was revealed.
- PSX is more indie/3rd party based so it's the right event for Shenmue 3 to be showcased.
- SIED rep has stated that this year's event will be Japanese developer heavy.
- Yu is not confirmed for MAGIC 2017, so if he isn't attending that, what other public platform is on the horizon to show off Shenmue 3.
- December is the anniversary month for the Japanese and European release of Shenmue.

These are all the positive points to increase the positivity that Shenmue 3 will be at the event. But they don't garauntee it. If it doesn't get shown, I will be super disappointed, but it's not impossible that it wont be shown.

Peter has received 6 thanks from: delvec19, Hazuki00, Kiske, Monkei, Spaghetti, Yama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:44 am

Peter wrote:They already pulled out of E3 last minute

Wow.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:49 am

Pretty much what Peter said. Not to doubt Yama's sources, but no smoke without fire.

We've known from September via Cedric that December seems to be the time when they plan to have a big video/picture update.

When I asked him about PSX, I didn't get a solid answer about an appearance, but we do know YSnet are working to some kind of deadline.

I don't believe that's the monthly KS update, because as they effectively control when that information goes out, there's no real "deadline". PSX, however, does have a deadline for trailer/demonstration completion to get in the stage show.

I asked Cedric on like... November 11th or something. Plans could have changed, or they could have missed the deadline, but going on what Peter said, a public showing of Shenmue III has been six months in the making after pulling out of E3. Unless Yu still isn't satisfied with the trailer after meeting the deadline, then I really can't think of a viable scenario where it doesn't get shown at PSX.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:11 am

Peter is slowly putting the puzzle together.

It's new to me that they pulled out of E3 last minute. Knowing that makes even more sense to expect something at PSX.

The only doubt I have about Suzuki-San feeling ready to reveal the Shenmue 3 state of work is the recruiting we heard about in October.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/1 ... aflet.html

According to YsNet website, the positions are not filled yet:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... 4g#Recruit

I highly doubt they were counting on that to polish whatever trailer they are working on, but who knows...

Still, I'm pretty confident we will get a Shenmue 3 surprise at PSX... but the suspence is almost unbearable. :-#

Edit. Spaghetti... you're killing me. You've already tweeted Cédric about the December plans!?! :-o
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby celsowm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:44 am

It may mean nothing, but ...

(curtida = like)

:D
Last edited by celsowm on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

celsowm has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Yokosuka
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:45 am

Kiske wrote: Peter is slowly putting the puzzle together.

It's new to me that they pulled out of E3 last minute. Knowing that makes even more sense to expect something at PSX.

The only doubt I have about Suzuki-San feeling ready to reveal the Shenmue 3 state of work is the recruiting we heard about in October.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/1 ... aflet.html

According to YsNet website, the positions are not filled yet:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... 4g#Recruit

I highly doubt they were counting on that to polish whatever trailer they are working on, but who knows...

Still, I'm pretty confident we will get a Shenmue 3 surprise at PSX... but the suspence is almost unbearable. :-#

Edit. Spaghetti... you're killing me. You've already tweeted Cédric about the December plans!?! :-o

I'm sure Cedric is sick of me asking about it now, but he usually comes back with a reply that helps clarify a few things. I asked again today to see if we could get a reassuring answer, but I don't expect one this close to PSX. He's usually very honest and open, and I think he's aware of being kind of a hotline between fans and the developers in some respect- so fingers crossed for a ";)" reply.

As for the job postings, I don't think the other listings there updated when they were filled, did they?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:57 am

Let's hope Cédric will reply with ";-)" and not with something like that --> 凸 (`0´)凸 :mrgreen:

Regarding the job postings, not sure, but those two positions look like the one posted at the beginning of October on Switch's blog.

③ programmer urgent employment
⑥ cut scene artists urgent employment

Kiske has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 am

Fingers crossed they got someone all the same.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 am

celsowm wrote: It may mean nothing, but ...

(curtida = like)

:D

So who tweeted that? Cedric Biscay? Or did he only like it? I'm not on Twitter and don't really get it. :p Embrace yourself. :lol:

EDIT: Think I got it. You tweeted that at Biscay and he liked it, right? Doesn't mean anything then I reckon.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Himuro wrote:Those tend to be AAA games. What are you expecting? People haven't seen gameplay and people don't know what to expect. A trailer would generate hype. Right now people have no reason to be hyped if they aren't already Shenmue fans. The same is true for other revivals going on like Psychonauts 2. No one on gaf is talking about that either.

Not always. I've seen at least a baseline of buzz around indie and smaller titles.

Interesting that you bring Psychonauts 2 up, though. I think that would probably be getting more talk about it if Tim Schafer/Double Fine hadn't had such an already controversial experience with crowdfunding.

But like I said, a flatline isn't actually a bad thing here. It just sets the stage for an eventual reveal.

Yama wrote:I would have went had there been confirmation, it's not far from me, but have been told it's not looking likely. Hoping to be surprised though.

Hrm. Even if it doesn't appear at PSX, we do know through Cedric that the plan is to have some kind of picture/video update before 2017- so hopefully we aren't going away empty handed in December regardless.

I have to wonder how not appearing at PSX will impact the trial version. Yu said the intent was around Q1-Q2 2017. A December PSX reveal and Q1 trial version would be ideal for giving appropriate feedback heading into the planned December 2017 launch, but an E3 showing followed by trial version either confirms a delay or doesn't give enough time for the trial version to be worth it.

Are these lots of indie and smaller titles with actual gameplay footage?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Himuro wrote:Are these lots of indie and smaller titles with actual gameplay footage?

Depends. Fez 2 (before it got canned, lmao) got a buzz with just a logo, and I remember Volume's reveal trailer (which did have technically gameplay footage) getting attention with mostly fruity narration and test environments.

These aren't Shenmue III though. They don't have the legacy, they didn't have the explosive reveal. But again, it's not actually a bad thing that the game has pretty much vanished from gamer consciousness except for the odd "whatever happened to ___?" It'll only benefit the game more when it comes out from left field and (hopefully) surprises people.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SheepheadCG » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I never thought I'd see the day that Sega would post about Shenmue lol My stomach went crazy when I spotted it:

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: delvec19, Spaghetti
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:22 pm

Whoever runs their social media is a Shenmue fan I'd assume, but it's nicely reassuring all the same.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III