Kickstarter Update #60: Dinner in Japan Reward Report

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #60: Dinner in Japan Reward Report

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:29 pm

dbzruler88 wrote: To the people who are bitching about this update, think about it, there are members of OUR community who were eating dinner and discussing SHENMUE 3 with YU SUZUKI. It really is amazing. 10 years ago you would have killed for an update like this.

It's just amazing to see the campaign in action, and to know that it is because of how vocal WE were that this even happened. It truly made me happy to see them there with the legend.

Exactly.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SegaMon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:37 pm

I was also initially disappointed that this update didn't include information about the game's development. However, I quickly realized that my disappointment was caused by my selfish desire to know everything about Shenmue III's development progress. I had to stop and think about it: we are getting Shenmue III in proper form!! How could an update without development information be disappointing at all? In fact, it's awesome that we get to see how fans like us have been treated with appreciation. Yu Suzuki and the team behind Shenmue III understand that without the fans who supported the game's Kickstarter then this would have never been possible! It's amazing that what I thought would never happen is indeed happening. Let's be happy with this -- it's an awesome time to be a Shenmue fan! :D

SegaMon has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
SegaMon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda: Skyward Sword

Postby Jibby » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:58 pm

I think the expression on everybody's face at whatever was on that laptop tells us more about Shenmue III then any update so far. I mean, that's the reaction of loyal fans who have waited over a decade for Shenmue III. That's what we're all going to look like when we boot the game up for the first time and start playing. It shows us just how well development is going and much it's going to feel like a Shenmue game. It's so exciting!

Jibby has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Himuro, VukBZ2005
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:19 pm

dbzruler88 wrote:To the people who are bitching about this update, think about it, there are members of OUR community who were eating dinner and discussing SHENMUE 3 with YU SUZUKI. It really is amazing. 10 years ago you would have killed for an update like this.

It's just amazing to see the campaign in action, and to know that it is because of how vocal WE were that this even happened. It truly made me happy to see them there with the legend.

x1,000,000

Those fans are the integral part of this development process, and they deserve to be a part of this update, and that's not even including how much they've done for us outside of backing. I'm sure this update leaves an important impression on those backers who are passively waiting on unaware of what shenmue is or means to people.

We all want what's best for this project, why is anyone fretting over something so small? (and yet isn't, this is a huuuge accomplishment. Seriously, it's no easy task for YS.net to do what they're currently doing, let alone to get that reaction from their biggest fans, that's phenomenal! I'm sure it will continue for boost morale, confidence in their work for the months to come).

If we are indeed expecting an announcement to be done during December (or Feb) on a flashy stage where the content has a stage with the most attention/reach, what more is there to ask for, really?
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShenSun » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:21 pm

They should make an early update about the game being delayed till 2018. We all know its going to happen and for the better to be honest. Then again, im inclined to believe Yu can make the deadline, although i want as much time and polish as possible.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Hanzumon
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:17 am

ShenSun wrote: They should make an early update about the game being delayed till 2018. We all know its going to happen and for the better to be honest. Then again, im inclined to believe Yu can make the deadline, although i want as much time and polish as possible.

I actually hope they hold off the delay announcement until there is a trailer and a playable demo to make the extra wait easier.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby iyapol » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:25 am

dbzruler88 wrote: To the people who are bitching about this update

Wow - this has been blown out of proportion.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LanDC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

A lot of people have been wanting to know what we saw on that laptop. I can safely say there were no story spoilers in there. The majority of the footage consisted of location shots. What blew us away was the quantity that was shown, however. I think most of us have had doubts as to how far they've actually gotten into development, after only seeing a few shots of Bailu Village after all this time. But when we saw Bailu Village, Baisha and Choubu, any doubts I had were put to bed. They looked very fleshed out and beautiful already (and note that the footage was 3 months old when we saw it). There were bits of cutscene material, and a QTE testing scene, but those were really early tests and not much to talk about.

As some of you may now, YsNet recently started hiring additional staff to work on "high-end cutscenes." They are working their asses off, no doubt in my mind. I'm not saying this WILL happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got the first official trailer by December at Playstation Experience. Hang on a little longer, it'll be worth the wait.

LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:09 pm

LanDC wrote: A lot of people have been wanting to know what we saw on that laptop. I can safely say there were no story spoilers in there. The majority of the footage consisted of location shots. What blew us away was the quantity that was shown, however. I think most of us have had doubts as to how far they've actually gotten into development, after only seeing a few shots of Bailu Village after all this time. But when we saw Bailu Village, Baisha and Choubu, any doubts I had were put to bed. They looked very fleshed out and beautiful already (and note that the footage was 3 months old when we saw it). There were bits of cutscene material, and a QTE testing scene, but those were really early tests and not much to talk about.

As some of you may now, YsNet recently started hiring additional staff to work on "high-end cutscenes." They are working their asses off, no doubt in my mind. I'm not saying this WILL happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got the first official trailer by December at Playstation Experience. Hang on a little longer, it'll be worth the wait.

Hm. That's pretty interesting stuff; did Yu make a point of telling you the material was out of date or was it just something you noticed from a date/time caption on the footage?

Can we ask more detailed questions now that the cat is out of the bag about stuff you saw?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Spaghetti wrote:Hm. That's pretty interesting stuff; did Yu make a point of telling you the material was out of date or was it just something you noticed from a date/time caption on the footage?

Can we ask more detailed questions now that the cat is out of the bag about stuff you saw?

He made it a point of telling us. He wanted us to know that it looks "much better" now.

I'm reluctant to answer very many questions. I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't talk about. I felt I could tell you what I just did though, because I gave nothing secret away. We all know those areas are in the game. They told us not to take photos or video, but didn't say we couldn't discuss the video.

LanDC has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, Spaghetti
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:28 pm

LanDC wrote:He made it a point of telling us. He wanted us to know that it looks "much better" now.

I'm reluctant to answer very many questions. I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't talk about. I felt I could tell you what I just did though, because I gave nothing secret away. We all know those areas are in the game. They told us not to take photos or video, but didn't say we couldn't discuss the video.

That's really exciting to know.

I won't pry about what you saw if you can't/don't want to answer, but is there any way you could elaborate on maybe how Choubu/Baisha and areas of Bailu we haven't seen look?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:40 pm

I think one thing thay can be said is what Yu mentioned about the look.

It was a very good conversation, that really made me feel good (this was said before we seen what was on the laptop). Yu went into a bit of detail about the colour of Shenmue, which I found very interesting. He said about how Shenmue has a specific look, which all stems from the colour pallette. He wants Shenmue colours to feel "wet", or "moist", in that you can feel the colours on the screen. Taste them even. He said that Unreal has a great colour editor but they didn't quite have the Shenmue colours he was looking for. But eventually they did crack it and in what we seen, it was completely Shenmue.

That's what I meant by when I was asked about if this game was essentially "Shenmue". It really is. This is where the brilliance and importance of Yu at the helm of this is so vital to this being a true Shenmue 3. Another director may have thought something looked well, but wasn't quite Shenmue. But it really is.

Another thing to mention is Matt is 100% completely right. He made the point of saying this was a little old. This was backed up by Yosuke who cut it. Now that means what we seen was completed around June, which is just 4 months after MAGIC where we seen a cut of Shenhuas home and the fishing pond etc which Yu confirmed was completed the day before. Now with that info, and seeing what they can do in 4 months..... I swear when you see it you will drop a bollock. Not only that, but they are now hiring more staff? Sweet Jesus this game..... I can't wait until all of this stuff is public so we can all be on this level of excited that we are.

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:52 pm

Peter wrote:It was a very good conversation, that really made me feel good (this was said before we seen what was on the laptop). Yu went into a bit of detail about the colour of Shenmue, which I found very interesting. He said about how Shenmue has a specific look, which all stems from the colour pallette. He wants Shenmue colours to feel "wet", or "moist", in that you can feel the colours on the screen. Taste them even. He said that Unreal has a great colour editor but they didn't quite have the Shenmue colours he was looking for. But eventually they did crack it and in what we seen, it was completely Shenmue.

I think Yu used the "wet/dampness" and "smell" analogies before for describing Shenmue's (well, Shenmue II's) super-saturated colourful look. The MAGIC screens showed they were getting there (and I think the shot on the hiring leaflet is an improvement even on that), but it's really great to know you what you guys saw showed that they figured it out.

Peter wrote:Another thing to mention is Matt is 100% completely right. He made the point of saying this was a little old. This was backed up by Yosuke who cut it. Now that means what we seen was completed around June, which is just 4 months after MAGIC where we seen a cut of Shenhuas home and the fishing pond etc which Yu confirmed was completed the day before. Now with that info, and seeing what they can do in 4 months..... I swear when you see it you will drop a bollock. Not only that, but they are now hiring more staff? Sweet Jesus this game..... I can't wait until all of this stuff is public so we can all be on this level of excited that we are.

Did they say why exactly they didn't show the video publicly in June? If it was cut around then, might it have been something they planned for the Kickstarter Anniversary, right?

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Oh good lord, hearing Yu talk about trying to get the smallest details just right... sends chills down the spine. And to think, the footage we saw was all pre-Keiji Okayasu arrival. I'm really curious how much more Shenmue it looks now.

What I personally want to stress for my part, is what makes Shenmue, Shenmue. - Keiji Okayasu

Beautiful times we live in.

LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Peter thoughts on Shenhua model on Switch's leaflet?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III