If Shenmue III has a Passport what would you want on it?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

If Shenmue III has a Passport what would you want on it?

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:34 pm

Being someone who became a fan later than the rest of you, I have never been able to properly experience the passport disc and I've always wanted to. I've experienced the cutscenes you unlock and the music section and all the extra videos like the tutorials given by the passport models but I've never been able to use the passport itself due to getting the game after the death of the Dreamcast. Due to that, I barely any idea what was possible with it besides exchanging win cans for character profiles and comparing score in various games. If III were to have a passport, which is unlikely, what would you like to do in it?

Himuro has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: If Shenmue III has a Passport what would you want on it?

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:47 am

- Character biographies
- Cutscene theatre (with added extras such as filters, character model swaps, photo mode, etc.)
- Behind-the-scenes videos (including Kickstarter updates, interviews, etc.)
- Character model viewer (a la the Arkham games)
- Environment explorer (kind of like a 'floating eye' you can control to explore each and every environment, as well as granting players the ability to change the time of day, weather, etc.)
- Free roam mode
- Online leaderboards (for arcade game high scores, game completion times, etc.)
- Trading marketplace (for collectables)

These are just the ones off the top of my head.

For those who were never able to experience the Passport disc in its halcyon days, here's pretty much everything you need to know: http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/14499/passport.html

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Mr357
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:42 am

Definitely the "Making-Of" Shenmue3. Including what happened before the Kickstarter.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby James Brown » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:00 am

There was a crazy indepth statistics list in the original online passport which showed you loads of cool and random things like how long you had been playing for, how many times you'd completed the game, how long you'd spent standing still, even how long running into walls or something crazy like that :P

I used to love looking through those stats. Pretty useless I guess, but really novel and interesting :)

Ziming actually uploaded a video showing off all of the online features on the dojo youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDozGk8sdM

I really liked Shenmue 2's passport disc, with the Saturn footage, and being able to play every single mini game and street fight again.

I'd love them to (if possible) make the Saturn version playable on Shenmue 3 passport :)

James Brown has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Kiske, ShenGCH
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Himuro » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:34 am

Kiske wrote: Definitely the "Making-Of" Shenmue3. Including what happened before the Kickstarter.

Who would pay for this?

James Brown wrote: There was a crazy indepth statistics list in the original online passport which showed you loads of cool and random things like how long you had been playing for, how many times you'd completed the game, how long you'd spent standing still, even how long running into walls or something crazy like that :P

I used to love looking through those stats. Pretty useless I guess, but really novel and interesting :)

Ziming actually uploaded a video showing off all of the online features on the dojo youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDozGk8sdM

I really liked Shenmue 2's passport disc, with the Saturn footage, and being able to play every single mini game and street fight again.

I'd love them to (if possible) make the Saturn version playable on Shenmue 3 passport :)

Thanks. I really wish I got to experience this stuff. I would have loved this so much in 2000/2001. If only this stuff wasn't limited to online. I wish there was a place to exchange rare capsule toys like in the passport. Really neat. Also winning cans have an actual utility.

Himuro has received a thanks from: James Brown
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby abaww » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:21 pm

I would definitely pick the "making-of" and Online leaderboards for minigames. :mrgreen:
abaww
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: abaww

Postby BlueMue » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Pretty much everything the original Passport had. But with more bonus video stuff and capsule toy trading with other players, not just certain stuff with Oishi.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:50 pm

we need to request this to yu
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm pretty sure someone asked Yu about this sometime last year, though maybe it was about online features.

I don't think it'll have a Passport feature, but I can definitely see them doing another 'Shenmue Collection' where you get to replay mini games, battles, etc.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:55 am

Himuro wrote:
Kiske wrote: Definitely the "Making-Of" Shenmue3. Including what happened before the Kickstarter.

Who would pay for this?

The kind of people who buys DVD or Blu-Ray boxsets for deleted scenes, interviews, director commentaries or behind the scene features? Shenmue fans... me? :P

Of course, I too, would love a passport disc with the kind of stuff there were in the previous games, but it would be nice if we don't need to wait 15 years for a "making-of" this time.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby yuc02 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:29 am

I think a section on the cultural and historical background behind the themes used in the game e.g. Wude, Bajiquan, Kowloon Walled City would be quite nice.

Obviously previous features from the DC games as well, and how about a "design your own lucky hit" game?
yuc02
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: yuc2002

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Kiske wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Who would pay for this?

The kind of people who buys DVD or Blu-Ray boxsets for deleted scenes, interviews, director commentaries or behind the scene features? Shenmue fans... me? :P

Of course, I too, would love a passport disc with the kind of stuff there were in the previous games, but it would be nice if we don't need to wait 15 years for a "making-of" this time.

No, I meant, who would literally pay. As in, make it. YSnet is busy with the game. I've haven't heard anything about a Shenmue III documentary/making of but I'd love to watch one. I just don't YSnet will be the people who will provide this.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Monkei » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:46 am

Himuro wrote:
Kiske wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Who would pay for this?

No, I meant, who would literally pay. As in, make it. YSnet is busy with the game. I've haven't heard anything about a Shenmue III documentary/making of but I'd love to watch one. I just don't YSnet will be the people who will provide this.

Well, they can't really be too busy to pay for stuff.. They're already doing videos for their monthly updates anyway, so why not expand that to some form of documentary? Add an interview with Gio Corsi when he's around the next time, get Cedric Biscay in front of a camera, and so on. Chronicle the whole journey. And besides, "who would pay for that" isn't really the question of this thread, or is it? It could be asked in regards to everything that was posted in here. And it could actually be answered with "whoever the hell is paying for everything else so far". :P
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Qix » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:11 am

ShenGCH wrote: - Character biographies
- Cutscene theatre (with added extras such as filters, character model swaps, photo mode, etc.)
- Behind-the-scenes videos (including Kickstarter updates, interviews, etc.)
- Character model viewer (a la the Arkham games)
- Environment explorer (kind of like a 'floating eye' you can control to explore each and every environment, as well as granting players the ability to change the time of day, weather, etc.)
- Free roam mode
- Online leaderboards (for arcade game high scores, game completion times, etc.)
- Trading marketplace (for collectables)

These are just the ones off the top of my head.

For those who were never able to experience the Passport disc in its halcyon days, here's pretty much everything you need to know: http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/14499/passport.html

I Wish Shenmue 3 would have some Online Leaderboards, was Great in Shenmue back in the Day for Copetition inbetween Minigames.
What a shame that Shenmue 3 will most probably not get something like that.
Qix
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Return to Shenmue III