Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:36 am

Perfect.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:48 am

Maybe I'm blind and seeing through rose colored glasses but... Can anyone else see the "smell" of the color contrast Yu talked about before, if you catch my drift, beginning to take shape more fully? The sunset hues, the INCREDIBLY lush grass, the feeling of night time and evening in the "air" ? Yes, some of these shots are heavily edited to be sure. But if that's what they're AIMING for, I'm very happy with what I'm seeing personally.

I still don't think we'll see anything major until the footage is shown sometime next year personally (though I could be wrong, as always I try to keep my hopes minimal and to not get hyped.)

But you know... we clamor for an update, and then in the space of a few days we find out new footage may be shown early next year and then get an update saying they're moving forward with more practical tests and preparing for actual content development, and ... everyone's like, "Meh this isn't what we wanted." That's everyone's prerogative, but this made me really happy after a really crappy day yesterday, so I'm choosing to be joyful rather than pessimistic personally. :) To each their own reaction.

Anonymous81 has received 5 thanks from: delvec19, iyapol, SickOctopus, Spaghetti, Switch
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:51 am

I think the best part of this update nobody have mentioned:

“I have been absorbed in developing the game and I stay in the studio all night time to time. My life is all about Shenmue day and night.”-Yu Suzuki

This is the kind of posture and dedication that made Yu Suzuki be what he is. Shenmue is in really good hands!

The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Anonymous81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:03 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote: I think the best part of this update nobody have mentioned:

“I have been absorbed in developing the game and I stay in the studio all night time to time. My life is all about Shenmue day and night.”-Yu Suzuki

This is the kind of posture and dedication that made Yu Suzuki be what he is. Shenmue is in really good hands!

^ This. This is why I'm not worried. He's not going to let this game come out without at least being up to his notoriously high standards within the budget constraints they have. We don't know how much will be in the game, but what IS in the game will be great imo. He's someone who is relentless in perfecting his vision, and micromanaging things.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Not really feeling the "smell" guy up says. Looks kinda UE standard rendering tbqh.

Maybe a little bit in the fighting scene.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby sand4fish » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:33 pm

About the screenshots, it falls pretty much under what's expected (even the "photoshopped face") given they gave us screeenshots and not a video. The team is simply not ready (or satisfied enough) to present a solid build of the game. Even with Yu's statement of the game being in a final stage, it just makes no sense to "hide" a trailer from backers or public if the development was indeed in a final phase. As other members stated, it really looks like what Yu was done with are things like core mechanics and gameplay scenarios, while the graphical aspect is still raw (or at least not enough of Shenmue's "smell" in it).

If people are disappointed with the "photoshopped Ryo" I can't imagine what the original one would do for the fans. Maybe pitchforks and torches? So good move there by Yu in my opinion.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:37 pm

What I like in the Market fight scene is the way the light "plays" with trees and also the colors temperature giving the scene a dawn feeling. I don't know if this is thanks to UE4 filters or Yu direction (or both) but I like it.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:42 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
Himuro wrote: It's a concept image. It's not actual gameplay.

A concept for what?

for forklift minigame/capsule toys for obviously. how hard is it to grasp this after it's been said 5 times?

There is no "concept" at display here... People who claim this is a mini-game, or these are capsule toys are making logic leaps and trying to connect the dots.

The composition of the "screenshot" is random, and unless confirmed otherwise, I'll still see it as random asset placement.

P.S: If that were a bean bag toss board, where are the holes?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:44 pm

sand4fish wrote: If people are disappointed with the "photoshopped Ryo" I can't imagine what the original one would do for the fans. Maybe pitchforks and torches? So good move there by Yu in my opinion.

I think no screenshot of Ryo is better than a Photoshopped screenshot of Ryo. By editing the protagonist's face and sharing it with the world, they're opening themselves up to avoidable scrutiny.
Last edited by iyapol on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iyapol has received a thanks from: Gavan
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Double post
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Funny/curious fact:
Not a single tweet or retweet about the PC pre-orders and Kickstarter update by Cédric Biscay so far...
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:58 pm

Mm. I feel the Photoshopped face was an acknowledgement of being dedicated to getting it right and respecting our memories of what the characters looked like, but the message wasn't really clear enough.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:00 pm

iyapol wrote:
sand4fish wrote: If people are disappointed with the "photoshopped Ryo" I can't imagine what the original one would do for the fans. Maybe pitchforks and torches? So good move there by Yu in my opinion.

I think no screenshot of Ryo is better than a Photoshopped screenshot of Ryo. By editing the protagonist's face and sharing it with the world, they're opening themselves up to avoidable scrutiny.

I agree.

I don't want to be overly critical because, really, we don't need it, but it's pretty funny watching people here defend the Photoshopped Ryo head. It looks stupid and it's kind of weird they still can't show us a decent model. I'm not going to lie. It's a little troubling they're having this much difficulty with something so small.

Mm. I feel the Photoshopped face was an acknowledgement of being dedicated to getting it right and respecting our memories of what the characters looked like, but the message wasn't really clear enough.

Come on, man. It's okay to be critical once in a while. I don't think it was meant to acknowledge anything; they didn't expressly say it's a Photoshopped image. It looks dumb and it'll be the next thing the braying masses criticize, if the braying masses care about criticizing Shenmue anymore. I don't know very much about 3D modeling, but is it really THAT hard to get his face right after a year or two of "development"? I think they would've been better off not showing his face at all.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Gavan
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Am I the only one who thinks they are giving us dated material? For me it's as if they were dated material on purpose, I'm sure they are more advanced than we think and don't want to show how the game looks right now in order to impact more when they release a trailer...
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Kiske wrote: Funny/curious fact:
Not a single tweet or retweet about the PC pre-orders and Kickstarter update by Cédric Biscay so far...

I thoight the same. I went to see Cefric's tweet accound and he did not post anything related...
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III