Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:26 pm

shredingskin wrote: Well, they HAD a trailer and showed it to the fans so I can't really tell if it's perfectionism, fear of the press, backlash or a PR/marketing thing.

I wouldn't know. Apparently there aren't many UE developers in japan, but at the same time, it's what they say they have already almost cooked... I don't know looking at the temple screen, the texturing doesn't look too good in things that should be easy fix (pretty much tesselation, heightmaps or parallax occlusion can do the work).

I'm just happy that the thing is coming, and I don't know if I would like an update "well, this thing it's harder to make than what I thought" even if it's sincere, I don't know, I'll just wait my doubts out.

It's a fact that there are a lot of wrong things in the temple screen. Random generated mountains, no bump mapping, ugly 2D vegetation, low res texture. Even the lightning is pretty generic, like if a student played with the saturation sliders of UE4.
The one with the minigame is strange as well. It's photo-realistic but there is absolutely no art direction in this. The other screen with the fight is cool and reminds the Shenmue II pre-ragdoll attempts but there are also a lot of odd things there.

That's really weird because, as you said, plenty of things could have done more proprely in 2 minutes. I wonder if Suzuki just wants to play with our nerves and is willing to prepare a huge surprise after all.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Rikitatsu
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Anyway, I just heard something from someone that crashed my hype to the lowest degree, and I'm pretty thankful for that. It's always best to lower expectations and play it safe.

?

What'd they say?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:29 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:You should definitely be hired to run damage control. You're doing an admirable job. Is there a spot for Deputy Shenmue Ambassador open?

I can't tell if this is meant in a "nice" way or not. :lol:

But really, when you think about what I said, and I mean genuinely put yourself in 'project management' mode, you know it does make sense.

The needs of game development don't always positively align with the needs of game promotion, and when there's likely no safety net like a big publisher sat next door with a wad of cash if you need another six months, you know what the pragmatic choice is.

We probably should have picked up on it before now, but the workflow chart really does show where the priorities for 2016 have been.
It's not meant in a bad way per se. You're definitely at least showing the positive side of things. Nothing wrong with trying to boost morale. I wish I were as receptive to the screenshots as you are, but I have complete faith in Yu Suzuki so I'm ok. :|

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
shredingskin wrote:
It's a fact that there are a lot of wrong things in the temple screen. Random generated mountains, no bump mapping, ugly 2D vegetation, low res texture. Even the lightning is pretty generic, like if a student played with the saturation sliders of UE4.

This feels overly critical and hyperbolic to me especially for a game that just left pre-production.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:38 pm

shredingskin wrote: What ?

Himuro wrote:?

What'd they say?

I can't tell you, All i can say is I really suggest keeping expectations in check.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:

What'd they say?

I can't tell you, All i can say is I really suggest keeping expectations in check.

lol
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: I wrote a long ass post but I accidentally deleted it. Let's just say the bulk of it was:

A) Character modeling is independent of game mechanics and background design, so it's not comparable a vertical slice demo. Working on a character model doesn't somehow slow down the development of other game elements, the artist works independently.

B) If they waited till the end of development to start working on 3D character models, it would've been against their agile methodology.

I wrote a big thing too, but it's basically moot point on both our ends because they have done work, but for whatever reason Ryo's face wasn't shown. If it aint' ready it aint' ready, but it does not change the fact that traditionally, graphical elements come last, and that approach is beneficial for Shenmue III and the workflow has reflected that.

This recent trend of putting graphics earlier in the chain has led to the downgrade phenomenon. Create impressive vertical slice with great graphics while the rest of the game lingers in varying states of completion, work on game, realise you shot for the moon with a vertical slice and now the game runs like garbage, degrade graphics to a semi-acceptable level. Rinse and repeat. Ubisoft were the goddamn kings of this last gen.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:

What'd they say?

Right.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Himuro wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
shredingskin wrote:

This feels overly critical and hyperbolic to me especially for a game that just left pre-production.

You guys should listen to the post above. This is coming from Himuro after all, who has been over critical on the project so far. ;-)

sand4fish has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, SheepheadCG, Spaghetti
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:42 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I can't tell you, All i can say is I really suggest keeping expectations in check.

It was Yu Suzuki. He said the whole Kickstarter was a gag and that he's bought a new Ferrari with the development funds so he can relive the time he came up with Outrun.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ChiefNeo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:

What'd they say?

You can't say shit like that and not even give a hint lol... You said it for people to read. Now throw us a bone.
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Himuro wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
shredingskin wrote:

Pre-prod is not an excuse for me. Plenty of WIP one-student UE4 projects are looking as good, if not better than this.

At least, they should have given a precise and encouraging explanation about these screens to explain the purpose of these models in a pre-prod context.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:45 pm

sand4fish wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
shredingskin wrote:

You guys should listen to the post above. This is coming from Himuro after all, who has been over critical on the project so far. ;-)

Hey, give me a break. :( I've only been critical after the psx no show.

Himuro has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:46 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Pre-prod is not an excuse for me. Plenty of WIP one-student UE4 projects are looking as good, if not better than this.

Post them then.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Himuro wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:

What'd they say?

Right.

You know what, my bad... hype it all you want. Why do I care about setting your expectations?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III