Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:47 pm

They probably have normal maps but the screen is so far away (you can see it in some light reflections).

In UE is pretty damn straight forward to do parallax occlussion (it's a basic effect in the editor), it's not very consuming and the results will look A LOT better (pretty much night and day). It's not something that can be called by lack of time either, you can create a displacement map for a texture in 30 seconds.

I don't mind too much about the lighting, it seems they have a very high bloom threshold (and YS must really like bloom, seeing xII :P). I really want to see what the guy wants it to look like and not what I would like to see it look like.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:You know what, my bad... hype it all you want. Why do I care about setting your expectations?

I mean, you did say

Anyway, I just heard something from someone that crashed my hype to the lowest degree, and I'm pretty thankful for that. It's always best to lower expectations and play it safe.

And then declined to say what it even was. Looks like setting expectations to me.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:51 pm

To be honest, any hearsay or rumours are probably complete BS. The only way of someone "knowing something" is if they know someone who is actually working on the game (and I don't believe that at all) lol even Cedric didn't have, up-to the minute, correct info so how the hell could someone here...

I know we are all super fans on the series and we need to analyse every single bit of info, but if you can do that with a positive mindset (or without getting all annoyed/disappointed and posting shit everywhere), I think that it is better for you (and for the game) that you take a step back. I am chuffed to shit that S3 is happening in some shape or form, and the fact that it is going to look something in the ballpark of these screens blows me away.

Sometimes I think that people forget that we are super fucking lucky to be getting a new game at all.

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: cham69
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:51 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
You know what, my bad... hype it all you want. Why do I care about setting your expectations?

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Unwarr ... Importance

?

shredingskin has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:53 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
shredingskin wrote: What ?

Himuro wrote:?

What'd they say?

I can't tell you, All i can say is I really suggest keeping expectations in check.

Right.

You know what, my bad... hype it all you want. Why do I care about setting your expectations?

How can you set expectations if you won't tell us why we should lower our expectations? :?: :?: :?:
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:You know what, my bad... hype it all you want. Why do I care about setting your expectations?

I mean, you did say

Anyway, I just heard something from someone that crashed my hype to the lowest degree, and I'm pretty thankful for that. It's always best to lower expectations and play it safe.

And then declined to say what it even was. Looks like setting expectations to me.

Hence why I said "my bad"... I don't know why I attempted to try and set expectations, I guess I thought people would take my word for it, but every reply has been in the lines of "lol right".

I'm not gonna betray someone's trust by saying more. Either take my advice or leave it.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:55 pm

I don't have unrealistically high expectations, I'm just happy the game exists.

Like closing a chapter.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Himuro wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Pre-prod is not an excuse for me. Plenty of WIP one-student UE4 projects are looking as good, if not better than this.

Post them then.

I don't remember their names although I could mention Zelda remake or Lost Soul but I'm not sure of these ones. One of my friends is an amateur developer and I can confirm from what he has achieved, that UE4 is indeed an easy tool. So looking screens with such poor technical level has definitely something wrong.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Anonymous81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:58 pm

We should always as a rule keep expectations, if not low, at least reasonable imo. So, let's consider that it's just good advice in general, regardless of whether they can specify (perhaps for reasons of anonymity, perhaps for other reasons) who and what was said.

I think everyone could benefit from taking a deep breath, and just saying to themselves, "Okay. This is what we have now. Some nice-ish screenshots that depending on your mileage are either encouraging as a signpost for their eventual goal, or underwhelming, and they are leaving pre-production now and hope to give us footage sometime next year." And just keep expectations in check, but remain hopeful.

There's a fine line between pessimism and overhype. I want to try to stay right on that line personally. Optimistic and with complete faith in Yu, but reasonable about the realities of this project, its budget, it's limitations, and what a game like this can really end up being. And not expecting a ton from updates until the game is getting into true content creation and there's something substantial to show. I even predict the footage they finally show next year won't meet with many people's approval because even then it will be early I suspect. But it will get there.

In due course, we will get everything from brief teasers, to gameplay trailers, to full synopses of gameplay features and mechanics and systems. The vagueness will dissipate once there's a functioning and pretty to behold game. Right now, I doubt that even exists in a form anyone would find worthy of showing off frankly... let alone a perfectionist like Yu. His meticulousness with planning and getting down a design that he can look at and say, "Okay THIS is what the game will BE and what it will have in it, and the pacing of it, and what we are going to make," is likely the culprit imo. But that's a good thing. That all has to be locked down and then followed as closely as possible for the game to be what I believe we all want it to be.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby elmatto » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Anybody else notice the moon is skewed in the direction of the camera? Makes it look flat. Everything else is fine though.
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Pre-prod is not an excuse for me. Plenty of WIP one-student UE4 projects are looking as good, if not better than this.

Post them then.

I don't remember their names although I could mention Zelda remake or Lost Soul but I'm not sure of these ones. One of my friends is an amateur developer and I can confirm from what he has achieved, that UE4 is indeed an easy tool. So looking screens with such poor technical level has definitely something wrong.

You realize you're comparing Lost Soul, a game with actual gameplay footage, to Shenmue III, a game that just left pre-production, is just now starting mocap, and actual development right?

Do you realize how dumb this is? They haven't even started on the gameplay yet. But you're comparing this to a game that is much, much further in development.

Why?

You say pre-production isn't an excuse but do you know what pre-production even is? It's before production has started. Making these criticisms a few months before release would make sense. But right when they've started production?

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Are we talking of the same game? Lost Soul has been made by one guy alone...
Last edited by Yokosuka on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:09 pm

What I'm a little afraid is that they'll not take use of the new tools at their disposal (trying to keep an oldschool approach or something).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Yes, Lost Soul is a game made by one guy and is clearly ways into production development. Shenmue III isn't and just finished pre-production.

If you understand the basics of how production works you wouldn't compare a game made by one guy which has already had a gameplay trailer with a game that's just starting production.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Hence why I said "my bad"... I don't know why I attempted to try and set expectations, I guess I thought people would take my word for it, but every reply has been in the lines of "lol right".

I'm not gonna betray someone's trust by saying more. Either take my advice or leave it.

I mean, you kind of halfway went there by mentioning it. It was a little dramatic too, I mean come on. It was meant to provoke a reaction of some kind.

But say you genuinely do know something, which is possible because really, word *does* get out behind the scenes.

If you have information, like recent information, you are almost certainly not the only one with that knowledge. I've learned stuff about September, and I've recently learned some stuff about last weekend. It isn't as huge a secret as you think it is, and it seems like you're the only one making a real fuss about it.

It's not big or clever to drop a fearful comment then never elaborate when there genuinely are people on this actual forum who can verify, especially if it looks like you're looking to set an agenda with it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III