Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

Postby Rico » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 am

It's great the notebook and Excite QTE machine back, I hope QTE Title also appear in the Shenmue 3. Nice the sound QTE is similar to Shenmue 1.2.
Rico
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ManoTemple » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am

Jibby wrote:
ManoTemple wrote: I'd be happy with Shenmue IIx graphics as long as the story is satisfying.

Would be a bit off putting for newcomers though which Shenmue III needs to appeal to.

I know, but, with the budget limitation, it would give us a full-on game, so to speak. I don't think it'll ever appeal to a mass audience -- that doesn't mean, though, a fourth installment won't be made.
ManoTemple
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:12 am

Making it look like a Dreamcast game wouldn't help the budget in any appreciable way, unfortunately.

Shenmue III requires a lot of art assets, so no matter what there's always going to be a large amount of time (and therefore money) committed to generating that stuff.

It would also be less efficient. A texture artist would have to spend more time trying to get the right low-fi aesthetic than just creating a texture that matches modern hardware capabilities. There was also a lot of detail "draw-in" on Dreamcast game textures that can be done dynamically in real time with normal and specular maps too.

There could be issues with sophisticated modern motion capture rigs working with low poly Dreamcast models that would take time to solve.

That's just my take as a layman to game creation, though.

I think they're doing the right thing in taking advantage of UE4's capabilities, without chasing the crazy pixel-pushing graphics of AAA games. There's still work to be done, but there's a clear upwards trajectory of visual quality over the last year.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: bebolejia
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:36 am

I'll bet someone at least attempts to make a Dreamcast graphics mod for the PC version.

Also - nice update, the interiors look very Shenmue.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ManoTemple » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Making it look like a Dreamcast game wouldn't help the budget in any appreciable way, unfortunately.

Shenmue III requires a lot of art assets, so no matter what there's always going to be a large amount of time (and therefore money) committed to generating that stuff.

It would also be less efficient. A texture artist would have to spend more time trying to get the right low-fi aesthetic than just creating a texture that matches modern hardware capabilities. There was also a lot of detail "draw-in" on Dreamcast game textures that can be done dynamically in real time with normal and specular maps too.

There could be issues with sophisticated modern motion capture rigs working with low poly Dreamcast models that would take time to solve.

That's just my take as a layman to game creation, though.

I think they're doing the right thing in taking advantage of UE4's capabilities, without chasing the crazy pixel-pushing graphics of AAA games. There's still work to be done, but there's a clear upwards trajectory of visual quality over the last year.

You think it will match AAA quality in terms of depth and story?
ManoTemple

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:44 pm

ManoTemple wrote: I'd be happy with Shenmue IIx graphics as long as the story is satisfying.

Don't forget the OST or we'll not getting a Shenmue. 80% of its substance at least.

As for now, everything seems to going fine: Shenmuism, visual and art direction, arcades machines, vast and deep areas, game design granted by original staff, etc.
Finally, and that's no surprise, the combat system is the only point we can stress over it until the demo/release. At this time, no one can say if the Yu's ambition is wise or not. That could be a marvelous dynamic Shaw Brother's gameplay as well as a total s*** in our hands. :lol: Confronted to the Dreamcast episodes, the step looks soooooo high, and we were all happy when we unlocked the related stretch goal! They have still more than six months to give the best of themselves so wait & see.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:00 pm

ManoTemple wrote:You think it will match AAA quality in terms of depth and story?

Depth isn't something I automatically associate with AAA games. There are lots of games that are AAA that are as shallow as a puddle.

EDIT: Should probably address the Shenmue III-specific part of the question too:

We won't really know until we play it for ourselves, but a lot of the new gameplay elements being introduced should complement existing mechanics, and deepen the game as a whole.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Esppiral, Himuro
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ManoTemple » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:20 pm

True, but I'm referring to how the first two games were, where you can open up almost any closet and/or dresser door and find something. Plus, I wonder if they'll pull a Yakuza with the voice dialogue, using text instead of actual voice for content outside of a cut-scene, for example.
ManoTemple

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:34 pm

> AAA games

> depth

Sure there's some exceptions but ahahahahaha what

ManoTemple wrote: True, but I'm referring to how the first two games were, where you can open up almost any closet and/or dresser door and find something. Plus, I wonder if they'll pull a Yakuza with the voice dialogue, using text instead of actual voice for content outside of a cut-scene, for example.

We don't know the answer to any of these things.

Himuro has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:51 pm

A lot of speculation, but no facts. Oh well, how else do you keep a thread like this going? :king:

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: ManoTemple
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby SMDzero » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the latest render of Ryo's ass.

SMDzero has received 2 thanks from: InsanityIsCrazy, JohnBlack
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm

The update I thought was fine the more interesting question is what does Yu do with all the photos? Does he keep them the same or redo the models in Unreal 4?
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby iyapol » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 pm

A bit late to the party, but great little update and just what was needed. I really like these teaser style updates - don't show us much but show us enough to get a bit giddy and then overanalyze the shit out of every frame!

Cheers chaps.

iyapol has received a thanks from: Himuro
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:06 pm

life_247 wrote:I assume (I've not really been keeping tabs on this in detail) that they have access to all the old files and resources from SI and SII because those sound effects seem spot on. Too excited now!

They do. Sega have stepped up in that regard, and have given certain YSNET employees access to the archive to take whatever Shenmue related material they want.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Serenade » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Rico wrote: Nice the sound QTE is similar to Shenmue 1.2.

Yes! I hope this means they will keep the same sound for the cinematic QTEs aswell
Serenade

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III