Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on Steam?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on Steam?

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:33 pm

We all think HD releases are coming, but should Sega be smart and release it on Steam? They've released some Dreamcast titles on there already, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi etc.

I wonder what score they would get on there? Overwhelmingly positive? Or just 'mostly positive'?
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on Steam?

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:42 am

Any developer who isn't bound by an exclusivity contract would be stupid to not release their game(s) on Steam. A place to download DRM-free copies is something a lot of people would want, too; doing so would not only increase sales, but also hold SEGA in higher regard.

As for the reception, there are a number of factors at play: veterans of the series who will be holding the game to the standards as they remember it, but will still be critical in regards to the quality of the ports (as opposed to criticising the voice acting, pacing, etc., the former of which is very much a product of the time it was released and many of us find endearing, whereas the latter is simply a matter of finding stuff to do whilst killing time); newcomers to the series who may/may not be aware of the legendary status of the series, and will therefore be the most critical player base, but will still give it a go regardless; those who will buy the game for the sole purpose of leaving a negative review before asking for a refund because they simply don't 'get' Shenmue; and, unfortunately, fanboys who will praise the game to the rafters even if it's a buggy, broken, slap-dash mess.

Taking all these into account, I think there's a higher likelihood of the game being 'Very Positive', but it could easily creep into 'Overwhelmingly Positive' territory depending on the quality of the ports.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:48 am

As long as they do an actual remaster and not just a quick and dirty upscaled port with weird bugs like several of the Steam ports to date have been/had, I think it would do well. And I agree it would be foolish not to release it on every platform they can easily get it running on, with PC being an obvious choice, and Steam being one of the major distribution services.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:39 pm

From the Bayonetta PC press release:

“We are dedicated to bringing high-quality, best practice PC conversions of our back catalogue games to our fans, and Bayonetta was a great fit.” Said John Clark, Senior Vice President of Commercial Publishing for SEGA Europe. “Bayonetta is one of the most often requested PC conversions of our games, so finally being able to launch it on Steam is fantastic. There’s more to come!”

*What other PC ports is SEGA planning?

SEGA continues to explore PC port options, and is looking forward to sharing more news soon.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/295891/BEING_BACK_NEVER_FELT_SO_GOOD_BAYONETTAtrade_IS_OUT_NOW_ONPC.php

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:08 pm

This goes in line with the Atlus story about SHD being confirmed for PC only thus far..

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Not really? None of the statements there exclude potential for console ports too.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 pm

GOG please.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Valascaziel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:36 am

Spags, I think I didn't phrase it properly.

I don't mean it to say it excludes console(obviously not), it just lends a little more credence to the existence of the game in my opinion.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 am

Valascaziel wrote: Spags, I think I didn't phrase it properly.

I don't mean it to say it excludes console(obviously not), it just lends a little more credence to the existence of the game in my opinion.

Ah okay.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 am

I can not stand this Sega of today. They hardly make a game today, even less a decent game and after all this years they don't say a straight answer about Shenmue HD.

I hope they announce it in this coming E3 after a more than possible Shenmue 3 trailer.

They should put it on steam right after the trailer and people who didn't play Shenmue 1 & 2 could play 6 months before Shenmue 3 launch.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby khmlight3 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: I can not stand this Sega of today. They hardly make a game today, even less a decent game and after all this years they don't say a straight answer about Shenmue HD.

I hope they announce it in this coming E3 after a more than possible Shenmue 3 trailer.

They should put it on steam right after the trailer and people who didn't play Shenmue 1 & 2 could play 6 months before Shenmue 3 launch.

It should not be PC only.
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby khmlight3 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: I can not stand this Sega of today. They hardly make a game today, even less a decent game and after all this years they don't say a straight answer about Shenmue HD.

And if it releases for consoles I think it will get a retail physical release Sega has been doing a lot of retail physical stuff recently!
Last edited by khmlight3 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
khmlight3

Postby Ziming » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:35 pm

"Little Stone Software" a British developer ported Bayonetta to PC and they previously ported Valkyria Chronicles. Perhaps they'll be porting both Shenmue games to PC?
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby khmlight3 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Ziming wrote: "Little Stone Software" a British developer ported Bayonetta to PC and they previously ported Valkyria Chronicles. Perhaps they'll be porting both Shenmue games to PC?

What about the PS4?
khmlight3

Postby Esppiral » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Direct port of the games (just upscaled) would harm the franchise more than doing nothing

Shenmue deserves the Yakuza Kiwami treatment.

Esppiral has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, khmlight3
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Next

Return to Shenmue III