Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby mrandyk » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:33 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Unless I'm misunderstanding, I don't think that guy has anything to do with the game. He sent the team mirrors. He got a letter from Yu suzuki thanking him for the gift. Nothing on his site indicates any connection to Ys Net. I highly doubt they're recruiting Americans who graduated from Full Sail.

This. One thousand times this. You aren't going to see many (any?) Americans on the development staff, and if one were on staff their resume would be more than a degree from an unaccredited school. Video game design at Full Sail makes me think of this:

phpBB [video]
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:16 pm

I don't mean to insult anyone who went there, but yeah... They're not getting a job in Japan at Ys Net with those credentials unless they're fluent in Japanese and have an impressive resume. Not sure where anyone got the idea that guy is on the team.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:06 pm

JohnBlack wrote:http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50804&p=1151099#p1151099

You even posted below :)

I thought for a minute I'd missed major news, but I guess not.

Who besides you thought he was a freelancer? I thought it was deduced pretty quickly he was just the guy who made the 3D printed mirrors Yu was presented at the San Francisco dinner.

Bluecast wrote:If that was all I took from it I would not have a War and Peace novel at 5 am as that's something I don't do much anymore. :P No one is upset or even close to it. :)

Well you seemed upset.

Doesn't matter anyway.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
JohnBlack wrote:http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50804&p=1151099#p1151099

You even posted below :)

I thought for a minute I'd missed major news, but I guess not.

Who besides you thought he was a freelancer? I thought it was deduced pretty quickly he was just the guy who made the 3D printed mirrors Yu was presented at the San Francisco dinner.

Bluecast wrote:If that was all I took from it I would not have a War and Peace novel at 5 am as that's something I don't do much anymore. :P No one is upset or even close to it. :)

Well you seemed upset.

Doesn't matter anyway.

Lol nah. You won't ever see that happen. Not these days. :)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby alexironaek » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Bluecast wrote: Anyway also one of the modelers was just a fan hired I believe. Don't think he had much game developer experience either if any.

Well, if you are talking about Kid Nocon who created this then i am glad he is on the team... ;-) ;-)

alexironaek has received a thanks from: Bluecast
alexironaek
Master of the Three Blades

Postby darksniper » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:30 pm

Bluecast wrote: Asking SEGA is pointless. I don't blame them. Shenmue lost them a lot of money. They see it as a fan funded game. they let Yu do it. They feel their part is done. if Shenmue III makes any money they get some and lost nothing. That said retro revivals and nostalgia based KS games are white hot. I would not mind if they reduced the next Sonic budget and put a little of that towards Shenmue III. It won't happen so I will settle for Shenmue HD on PS4 and PC.

Sega was already in the hole by the time Shenmue released. It was just easier for them to place blame on Shenmue rather than hold themselves accountable for a decade of botched console releases and constant bickering between Sega of Japan and Sega of America. Shenmue II never had a chance. It was released on the DC which was all but dead by that time and then on Xbox in America which was a mistake. I'd like to think that Shenmue would have found a decent audience if it were released on the PS2. Sega never has been on one accord. There's not many guarantees in life, but one thing you can depend on is on Sega messing up a good thing.

To further my point the myth that Shenmue didn't sell that well, it has outsold every single Yakuza game. Yet Sega found it beneficial to keep that series going and throw Shenmue in the trash? Doesn't make sense to me. Sega needed something or someone to put the failure of the Dreamcast on and Shenmue unjustifiably took the heat for it.

As fans we're just as must caught in the crossfire like Yu Suzuki is. This whole kickstarter situation is the first of it's kind. Doing a Kickstarter for a licensed IP that's not a spiritual successor like Mighty No 9 or Yooka-Laylee is unique. It's like Miyamoto doing a Kickstarter for the next Zelda game because Nintendo are being dicks about it. Sega's involvement in the series is absolutely important if we're going to get a Shenmue IV and V. Even though I'd be happy to donate, I really hope that Yu Suzuki doesn't have to do Kickstarters to complete the rest of the series. All the while Sega will be chilling in the cut, collecting all that Shenmue HD money.

Bluecast wrote:Talking about QTE sounds...QTE's are the worst part about the series aside from the voice acting and writing. I'd prefer they were not in there at all. No not bashing it either,it's just true.

I respect your opinon, however I strongly disagree. I do believe though that the QTE's in Shenmue is responsible for opening the can of worms for other developers to start incorporating it into their games and I dislike how most games utilize the concept. In fact, Shenmue in my opinion is the only game that ever did QTE's right. Most companies now use QTE's as a means to keep the player engaged during a flashy and cool cutscene where qte's aren't even needed.

I can't think of any QTE's in other games where the scenario forces you to listen, make decisions and think about proper judgement like in the barbershop scene in Shenmue I. Or as Spaghetti mentioned, the subtle changes to the sound at the end of II adds to the atmosphere. The regular QTE sound that it uses reminds you that you are playing a video game, and you're supposed to be immersed in the action of it. Games these days seem to not understand that concept. But again I just might be to biased in my opinion.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Yakuza is much more streamlined and to be perfectly honest better written compared to the 2 Shenmue games out there. Also they are still pretty different in many areas. Not seen a walking erection in Shenmue yet. :lol: Yakuza is much more of a traditional video game and is loaded with weird humor. Shenmue aims for something else.As for Shenmue on PS2...maybe but if I recall PS2 wasn't possible at that time. PS2 was pretty hard to develop for. Shenmue had a lot of things that only Xbox was able to have a good translation of the code. Not talking about how pretty the game is. Ports of Ecco were simpler to do for PS2 but even Sonic Heroes was a troubled port on PS2 compared to the GC & Xbox. I just remember it was too difficult for a inexperienced SEGA to port it to PS2. Gamecube and Xbox were really easy however. Esp Xbox since both used a similar API. Not to mention MS nearly made Xbox fully BC with DC games.

Do you have proof Shenmue outsold every Yakuza game? I highly doubt that. Yakuza has 6 main games and several spinoffs. Not to mention they probably have smaller budgets where Shenmue at the time was highly ambitious and experimental with development tools. Even if Shenmue sold 5 million on DC it would have failed simply because they would not break even yet. It's been stated before that Shenmue needed to sell more copies than their was DC's avail. That was never going to happen. Shenmue had ambition but it was and is a niche title.Tomb Raider on 360/PS3 failed because even at 4 million it fsiled to break even. FFXV needed to sell 10 million to break even. Even if SEGA was as loaded as Nintendo and DC sold well the game still would be a failure financially.

I'd love SEGA to step in an aid development of this installment and potential future ones. At the same time I just don't blame them on a financial front. If I was a billionaire I would give them 40 million to make the game they want. More just to see the series finish and Shenmue remakes.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:21 am

Shenmue's budget was an investment in the foundations of a much longer series that never came to pass. Comparing it only with the sales of the first two games was never going to be fair.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 am

I'd like to apologize if it sounds like I was attacking the Shenmue fan who did the mirrors. I was just making the point that he has nothing to do with the game. I re-read my posts and they sound kind of harsh. He did not put himself into this conversation, so it's not fair to comment on his credentials being better or worse than any others.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:12 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Shenmue's budget was an investment in the foundations of a much longer series that never came to pass. Comparing it only with the sales of the first two games was never going to be fair.

They were planning on using the Shenmue engine on other Dreamcast games too.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby delvec19 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:13 am

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... -sony.aspx

Gameinformer predicts the remasters to be announced, but concludes with saying a 50/50 chance. Nice hedge there.
delvec19

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:28 am

So they predict that it will or won't happen.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Valascaziel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:52 am

Getting to crunch time...any new rumblings of the HDs out there besides the GI guess? Tweets?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Today I read in a spanish forum someone who claimed to has been told that the shenmue hd remasters have been in production since two years ago. But I don't give much credit to this...
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Esppiral » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: Today I read in a spanish forum someone who claimed to has been told that the shenmue hd remasters have been in production since two years ago. But I don't give much credit to this...

Link?
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III