Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 09, 2017 7:36 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:I honestly feel like they'll have very little to show,

We already know this isn't the case based on what 10K backers saw in Japan, which was a video cut in June last year. Even in a worst case scenario, there are substantial reveals left on environments.

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:as far as we are aware they havnt even called in voice actors to record lines yet, so how could they produce any kind of substantial trailer?

They've had positions open for cutscene artists and a mo-cap/scene director open since October last year, and had said in the December 2016 update that voice tests with the cast had taken place. It's completely likely recording for the native Japanese VO has started by now.

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:Combined that with the animation test videos they have shown us so far that still use Shenmue 2 assets for environmental objects.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. Using placeholders is common in game development and can happen right up to the point they lock down the code and stop importing new assets.

Kiske wrote:Also noticed that Cédric Biscay is not answering to specific questions about E3...
Maybe he doesn't want to repeat PSX 2016 mistake, maybe his silence is a good omen.

"Faites vos jeux!"

That's to be expected. Even if he did know something, I think the PSX backlash has probably taught Cedric a valuable lesson about just keeping quiet. It'll be like drawing blood from a stone to get info out of him.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue May 09, 2017 9:05 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: I honestly feel like they'll have very little to show.

Good. Thats what they want you to think.

Peter has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:34 am

Seriously, how can people think that they have few things to show because of they did not show too much material? I have read this everywhere, even talking with friends.

Anybody could say it's logical to think that because of this but, Isn't it more lógical to think that they don't want to show anything?
People don't need to know that Peter and the rest of 10k backers saw more material than us but after 2 years of development can anyone think that the only have made Shenhua's House and this model of Ryo?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 am

Ignorance and cynicism.

Mostly ignorance, though.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue May 09, 2017 10:05 am

I just think it's more a slight lack of faith. It's a human trait, in this case, due to having no rewards for having that faith. The KS updates have been lacking in content for a good reason, Yu Suzuki takes game leaks and what's shown to the public very seriously. His pride in his work is his life, and he doesn't want unfinished work being shown AT ALL. Why do you think he has said "just testing", so many times.

I suffer from it also, not with Shenmue 3, I have no worries with that, but in regards to Shenmue HD, I have no faith at all. I honestly don't believe we will see that game. I don't have any faith in that, and there's nothing now that will encourage me to do so because of, well, Sega. I have my reasons, despite reasons existing to make me think otherwise, bit until I actually hear that announcement, I can't invest faith in any of the things I've heard, or rumors like the website and stuff.

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 am

You can't really blame some backers for thinking that when most of the dev updates (like the last one) give us absolutely no idea of what stage of development the game is. To say communication has been poor is an understatement.

People have been burned by kickstarter games way too many times to just believe things will happen without seeing with their own eyes.
Last edited by killthesagabeforeitkillsu on Tue May 09, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am

Yea but let's face it, we live in a society now where it doesn't matter if YSNET reveal nothing, or show a brand new trailer with every update. It will be shat upon by said "some backers" because of..... ya know, opinions.

Peter has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 am

Peter wrote:I suffer from it also, not with Shenmue 3, I have no worries with that, but in regards to Shenmue HD, I have no faith at all. I honestly don't believe we will see that game. I don't have any faith in that, and there's nothing now that will encourage me to do so because of, well, Sega. I have my reasons, despite reasons existing to make me think otherwise, bit until I actually hear that announcement, I can't invest faith in any of the things I've heard, or rumors like the website and stuff.

I don't know your reasons but faith is all we have, Pete.
Eventually SEGA will have to give us a new status on Shenmue HD.
Good or bad, they just can't go indefinitely silent after Jurgen Post declarations from September 2016.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Tue May 09, 2017 11:03 am

Who knows. But after the year of Shenmue neglect and the attitude Sega have shown towards Shenmue, a European CEO mentioning it when asked isn't going to cut it and make me believe they have the best intentions for Shenmue. I hope I am wrong, but I can't change how I feel.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Tue May 09, 2017 11:24 am

Peter wrote: Who knows. But after the year of Shenmue neglect and the attitude Sega have shown towards Shenmue, a European CEO mentioning it when asked isn't going to cut it and make me believe they have the best intentions for Shenmue. I hope I am wrong, but I can't change how I feel.

Wasn't Post who brought Shenmue up?

It won't change how you feel about it of course, but I read this tweet from Dan Sheridan weeks ago (around April 14th).
He was answering to somebody from our forum. The previous message has been deleted but I remember it was very close to "how are we going to #SaveShenmueHD now that you left SEGA."

(It doesn't mean anything, but this tweet gives me a good feeling)

Anyway, I have to keep faith about Shenmue HD, otherwise I could not carry on with... some activities.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 09, 2017 11:43 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: You can't really blame some backers for thinking that when most of the dev updates (like the last one) give us absolutely no idea of at what stage of development the game is.

Here are the issues with this:

It can be hard to illustrate month on month the changes and developments being made, while contextualising it for the game dev layman, while also avoiding spoilers, avoiding blowing something that's best seen in a formal re-reveal, and also looks sufficiently "finished" as to not draw negative attention from a hostile media and some fans who have a very hard time grasping the concept of "in development".

It's a shitty position to be in. It is also inherently not how Yu Suzuki operates. They could have been... nimbler and smarter about working around this position but with an almost total absence of a constant PR presence all they really can do is get on with the game and offer glimpses when it makes sense to.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue May 09, 2017 11:48 am

Kiske wrote:
Peter wrote: Who knows. But after the year of Shenmue neglect and the attitude Sega have shown towards Shenmue, a European CEO mentioning it when asked isn't going to cut it and make me believe they have the best intentions for Shenmue. I hope I am wrong, but I can't change how I feel.

Wasn't Post who brought Shenmue up?

It won't change how you feel about it of course, but I read this tweet from Dan Sheridan weeks ago (around April 14th).
He was answering to somebody from our forum. The previous message has been deleted but I remember it was very close to "how are we going to #SaveShenmueHD now that you left SEGA."

(It doesn't mean anything, but this tweet gives me a good feeling)

Anyway, I have to keep faith about Shenmue HD, otherwise I could not carry on with... some activities.

The negativity in my own life will rub off on the positivity (or negativity) I have for Shenmue. Being positive takes enormous effort when negative events hit hard. The best effort I can muster up is to objectively look at the 2 pieces of Shenmue related news to come directly from Sega. Sheridan simply said it was licensing issues holding up remakes, but it had our full attention. Post said he is aware Shenmue tops every poll for requests of their IPs to be remade.... But they have others. Stay tuned to the end of the year (2016) for more info.

Posts mention was nice, but that's out the window since the end of 2016 proved empty, and even Segas promise of PC news early in 2017 has been revealed as Bayonetta and now Vanquish.
Dan Sheridan, not even working for Sega anymore did give a more substantial response, but from a neutral standpoint..... Really?? Licensing issues that still have not been resolved since 2010 when you tried to get Blitwirks to knock a remaster out for peanuts? And again, has our full attention? It's now coming up on 2 years of Shenmue 3 actually existing. Sorry, but full attention my arse.

By all means I hope HD remakes get announced. It makes sense for them to do so. But......... Sega.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Weren't most of the DC remakes/ports a flop sales wise ?? Or was it just JSR ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Tue May 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Not sure, I wouldn't mind knowing the figures. I'd like to know if something i read is true or not, in that remastered versions of any games never match, or surpass, the numbers sold by the originals.
All the hype I will give in terms of remasters is Bayonetta was "revealed" on 11th April. Now Vanquish has been teased on 8th May. So around this time in June......
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 09, 2017 1:11 pm

shredingskin wrote: Weren't most of the DC remakes/ports a flop sales wise ?? Or was it just JSR ?

They've actually done alright on PC over the years and have proved to be a nice little evergreen earner by most estimations, JSR especially.

JSR has sold over 1.7 million on PC by Steamspy figures. People like to then say "oh but it's been on sale/offered free", but that wouldn't account for those numbers by a long shot.

JSR is currently $7.99, which is a reduced price from when it launched. Let's take Valve's 30% out, and we're left with $26.6 (and many 3s, but we'll round it down). Even if the impossible happened and they accounted for a million sales, SEGA would have still made good money. Nearly $20 million, in fact - and that's me lowballing revenue estimates in a very extreme way to prove a point.

JSR ownership jumped by about 60,000 over the past month. That's over $1.5 million in revenue for SEGA on a five year old HD remaster of a near twenty year old game, and they didn't have to do a fucking thing.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III