Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby darksniper » Mon May 29, 2017 4:39 am

iyapol wrote: So, let me get this right.

The game has been in development for nearly two years, and they have absolutely nothing to show us at E3?

There is no chance this game is being released in December.

I mean they had what looks to be both Shenmue I and II done on the Sega Saturn and YS was able to keep that under wraps. So is it fair to say that Shenmue III could be further along than we think?

There is a very real possibility of a Dreamcast version of Shenmue III in the vaults of Sega and that can definitely give Yu Suzuki an existing canvas to paint from.

If there's existing Dreamcast models and assets of the third game that YS has access to, this could lead to a quicker development time. Especially when they say that the game is "on schedule for a December release" when most of us don't see how that is even possible.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Mon May 29, 2017 5:09 am

darksniper wrote:There is a very real possibility of a Dreamcast version of Shenmue III in the vaults of Sega

Development never started on Shenmue III for DC.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby darksniper » Mon May 29, 2017 5:15 am

iyapol wrote:
darksniper wrote:There is a very real possibility of a Dreamcast version of Shenmue III in the vaults of Sega

As far as we know yeah. But had that Shenmue Saturn video never been released, we would have never known of it's existence either. If Yu Suzuki can remain tight lipped about the Saturn version of VF3, he would definitely never outright confirm that Shenmue III exists in some form on the Dreamcast.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that some preliminary work of Shenmue III wouldn't already exist in some form. We already have seen brief live footage of Niao-Sun who was not in the first two games, so there's no telling what they have that we have not seen or know about.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Mon May 29, 2017 5:29 am

iyapol wrote:

Was that confirmed? Since the game was announced and there are screens of Bailu village I always assumed they had started on it or at least done some work on it during the creation of the first two games.

south carmain has received a thanks from: darksniper
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon May 29, 2017 5:45 am

Looking at this poll result sure is interesting now. So much optimism crushed.

:lol:

Ah well.

Updated the original post and topic to reflect the new relevant info to save disappointment from happening.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: iyapol
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Amir » Mon May 29, 2017 5:50 am

darksniper wrote:
iyapol wrote:

As far as we know yeah. But had that Shenmue Saturn video never been released, we would have never known of it's existence either. If Yu Suzuki can remain tight lipped about the Saturn version of VF3, he would definitely never outright confirm that Shenmue III exists in some form on the Dreamcast.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that some preliminary work of Shenmue III wouldn't already exist in some form. We already have seen brief live footage of Niao-Sun who was not in the first two games, so there's no telling what they have that we have not seen or know about.

From this Dorimaga interview that was very helpfully translated by Switch, I got the impression that not much of anything got done on Shenmue III back in the day:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48967

"Q: So you won’t be making another Shenmue?

Suzuki: The first thing I want to do is take some vacation (laughs), and the staff too. I don’t think we could put ourselves through such tough times again as we did with Chapter One. However, even so, I’ve now learned a lot about how to make this type of game and so I’m confident that we’ll be able to make the next one more efficiently and with less of a burden. We’ll be able to make a similar kind of game, and it’s something I want to do. But... I feel like taking a bit of a break first. (laughs)"

Also funny that he mentions the possibility of PC ports back in 2001 :P

"Q: Hypothetically speaking, if there was the possibility again in the future, what would be your choice of hardware? Ah, before asking that - is there any potential for a port?

Suzuki: Porting Shenmue I and II across to other hardware wouldn’t be impossible, but due to the sheer size it would materially be a tough job to take on. The easiest and most likely option would be the PC, in a year or two. That’s because the PC has, in a sense, the ability to handle anything and has few constraints."
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby darksniper » Mon May 29, 2017 5:53 am

south carmain wrote:
iyapol wrote:

Was that confirmed? Since the game was announced and there are screens of Bailu village I always assumed they had started on it or at least done some work on it during the creation of the first two games.

That's what I'm saying. :-k I agree.

We have a fully rendered Bailu villiage, a full :41 second trailer of a character that we know for sure will be in Shenmue III that was done in 1999. Video footage of Shenmue II Disk 4 running on a stock Sega Saturn.Then there is a slider presentation of the entire Shenmue story from beginning to end that we only saw 3 years ago.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Shenmue III does exist in some form on the Dreamcast. Even though I still don't believe that Shenmue III will be done by December, if most of the development time has been used to getting the game in a playable state then maybe it's possible they are further along than we think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2eJT9GfVZk
Last edited by darksniper on Mon May 29, 2017 6:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Mon May 29, 2017 5:57 am

That's sad news for E3, but at least they have been very honest by adressing this before the hype goes to the moon.

I still have a tiny hope for Shenmue HD, based on what Romain Mahut said on Twitter a few weeks ago.

Preparing myself for a no show at all during E3 though.

Kiske wrote:
New interesting post from Romain Mahut.

Quick translation:
Koopa Tweet - "There are rumors about a #Shenmue 1 & 2 HD annoucement during Sony E3 conference along with a new #Shenmue3 trailer." (Note: No idea where this rumor comes from. Maybe it's just a guess coming from the newly bumped GAF thread about Rice Digital rumor)

Romain Mahut Tweet - "Chances are that there will be "talk" about Shenmue during E3, but i didn't hear anything this specific." (Note: R.M. answer isn't that easy to translate for me. Risque risk & "parler de" isn't exactly "talk about" in those case.)

Guys don't get me wrong. I don't want to prove anything or convince you about anything.
I'm just trying to put pieces of the jigsaw together before E3, which in either case, will give us all the answers.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby delvec19 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:20 am

Very disappointing stuff. Development moving at a snail's pace. The wait continues...sigh. Maybe we'll get this in December '18.
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Marcelinho » Mon May 29, 2017 8:29 am

For me the update 67 has no influence on what will be shown at the E3. I keep confident, mainly about HD.
Last edited by Marcelinho on Mon May 29, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcelinho
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Amir » Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 am

Hopefully we get Shenmue I &II HD and/or the PC Trial version of III in December, would be a nice hold-over until the release of Shenmue III.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sappharad » Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 am

south carmain wrote:
iyapol wrote:

That is not Bailu Village, that is Miao Village which was cut from Disc 4 between Languishan and when you meet Shenhua. It's been previously confirmed as that, and explains why there's an abrupt change in scenery when you get to Green Field.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Mon May 29, 2017 10:57 am

Was niao san developed as part of disc 4 too?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 29, 2017 10:58 am

Where's all this Shenmue III on DC talk come from all of a sudden? We've always known development never began on III. Yes, even if they made a Niao Sun character model for the premiere, and yes, even if for a long time we all thought the cut content out of the end of II (Miao Village, etc) was really Bailu in III. It never started. The most recent source we have on this is Ryan Payton saying they never really made anything past the ending point of II on a podcast.

iyapol wrote:YS himself said we would see something substantial in early 2017. We're now 6 months into 2017.

No, he didn't.

Exact quote:
“Development is entering the final stage headed towards full-scale production. Early in the new year, I think we’ll be able to show you things such as new videos.

And we've had new footage of the game, though fleeting.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Amir
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Mon May 29, 2017 11:09 am

Yeah, I don't think anything beyond Shenmue II ever got further got than the 11-chapter story outline from the project's inception and some concept art that we saw in the initial Kickstarter video.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III