Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Sonoshee » Tue May 30, 2017 9:52 am

SIII not being at E3 isn't a surprise. I never for one minute believed the game would make the Dec 17 launch window.
IMO, a delay is only a good thing for both the team and for the fans. MAGIC seems much more likely a place to see the first trailer and/or new flythroughs/gameplay.

As for HD ports of the first two games - I'm still holding my breath Sega may announce something at this years E3 or TGS.
User avatar
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: June 2015

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue May 30, 2017 9:55 am

Here's the issue with these updates: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... -time-soon

The comments are a real clusterfuck. It's really unfortunate. I feel bad for the team.
User avatar
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 am

The news article on Eurogamer is actually pretty factual, and they're not going hugely out of their way to make a big thing out of the title.

The comments are awful, on the other hand. Many people are using console wars bullshit to twist the knife.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue May 30, 2017 10:05 am

It's not so much the article, but the opportunity for another "negative" headline. Sure, the update might not have been everything I hoped for, but it was still a little progress update from a team that's clearly hard at work. I doubt that single model is the only work they've produced over the last two years, but it's something they felt like showing to the fans for whatever reason, yet the media & the Internet commenters are out for the next negative headline.

It's almost like they're better off going completely silent. That's the catch 22 with the updates that I didn't really think about in the past.
User avatar
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 am

I don't think it'll spin as far out of control as previous negative headlines have.

At best it's confirming what people have thought from the start (that it won't release in 2017), and even if shitty attack articles to start to spin up, we're in a busy news period and they'll get knocked off the front pages fairly quick.

If anything, this has flown pretty far under the radar.
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Centrale » Tue May 30, 2017 10:53 am

It's disappointing as Eurogamer has provided decent coverage in the past. There are lots of ways to frame the story that aren't so ominous. "Shenmue 3 Devs Opt to Work Through E3."

Maybe there's an unspoken fifth wude that says something like "Do not squander your energy when others are wrong on the internet."

Centrale has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
User avatar
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby BlueMue » Tue May 30, 2017 11:05 am

It is slighty disturbing how much we talk about a delay here even though nothing has been stated yet. Though I fully understand any concerns about the release date and how people draw conclusions from the latest update. I personally expected some delay right from the start of the Kickstarter so I really wouldn't mind.

I don't think that many people will be frustrated if Shenmue III really does get delayed. Everyone has been waiting for it so long, Kickstarter projects have this habit of not meeting deadlines and after all, we're talking about a Shenmue game, something that stands for quality. Honestly nobody can complain that they put more time and effort into making the game bigger and better.

There is still a possibility that it makes the targeted december release if the dev team has some sort of grand scheme how to handle things. I actually find it admirable how they didn't spoil anything for so long but obviously people are urging for some proper gameplay footage. Especially with a Kickstarter project they have to think more open so keeping everthing a secret until the last moment is not a very good strategy
User avatar
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2008
Location: Germany
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 am

Centrale wrote:Maybe there's an unspoken fifth wude that says something like "Do not squander your energy when others are wrong on the internet."

If so... I have broken it. Many, many, many times.
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue May 30, 2017 11:33 am

BlueMue wrote: It is slighty disturbing how much we talk about a delay here even though nothing has been stated yet. Though I fully understand any concerns about the release date and how people draw conclusions from the latest update. I personally expected some delay right from the start of the Kickstarter so I really wouldn't mind.

I don't think that many people will be frustrated if Shenmue III really does get delayed. Everyone has been waiting for it so long, Kickstarter projects have this habit of not meeting deadlines and after all, we're talking about a Shenmue game, something that stands for quality. Honestly nobody can complain that they put more time and effort into making the game bigger and better.

There is still a possibility that it makes the targeted december release if the dev team has some sort of grand scheme how to handle things. I actually find it admirable how they didn't spoil anything for so long but obviously people are urging for some proper gameplay footage. Especially with a Kickstarter project they have to think more open so keeping everthing a secret until the last moment is not a very good strategy
My only concern about a delay is whether or not they have enough money to delay the project. I'm assuming they have more money than we think, so hopefully my assumption is correct.
User avatar
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 30, 2017 11:40 am

Centrale wrote:It's disappointing as Eurogamer has provided decent coverage in the past.


As well as:

Image
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: January 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 30, 2017 11:45 am

BlueMue wrote:It is slighty disturbing how much we talk about a delay here even though nothing has been stated yet. Though I fully understand any concerns about the release date and how people draw conclusions from the latest update. I personally expected some delay right from the start of the Kickstarter so I really wouldn't mind.

I don't think that many people will be frustrated if Shenmue III really does get delayed. Everyone has been waiting for it so long, Kickstarter projects have this habit of not meeting deadlines and after all, we're talking about a Shenmue game, something that stands for quality. Honestly nobody can complain that they put more time and effort into making the game bigger and better.

There is still a possibility that it makes the targeted december release if the dev team has some sort of grand scheme how to handle things. I actually find it admirable how they didn't spoil anything for so long but obviously people are urging for some proper gameplay footage. Especially with a Kickstarter project they have to think more open so keeping everthing a secret until the last moment is not a very good strategy

A delay is still an assumption, you're right about that, but it feels like a foregone conclusion with YSnet skipping E3.

I suppose there are still some theoretical scenarios the game makes it out in 2017, but they're really, really unlikely. They seem to be in serious crunch mode either way, and I still don't think we're looking at a really lengthy delay just yet.

They'll have to address the issue sooner or later. People asked relentlessly about E3 and got an answer, so this won't be any different.

mjq jazz bar wrote:My only concern about a delay is whether or not they have enough money to delay the project. I'm assuming they have more money than we think, so hopefully my assumption is correct.

Funds for at least a single delay should be factored into the budget. I don't think they're flying by the seat of their pants on this one. If the delay is longer than expected, or if there are multiple delays, then things may get trickier.
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 30, 2017 12:13 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: It's funny because we recently had a discussion about the effect little videos/updates would have on backers during the slow update period, and here we are, with a lot of displeasure with the updates that have since come out. I was one of the posters that insisted any kind of update would be welcomed by the community. Guess I was wrong (and I'm being negative, myself). :evil:

My barometer for the health of Shenmue 3 & any possible delays will depend on whether or not Sega supports ports of the first two games. If they do, I think there's a lot that will go right for Ys Net & Shenmue III. I just don't see how they can fall too far behind schedule and keep things going if they're relying on Kickstarter money and whatever Cedric Biscay's company invested. There's got to be some more money keeping things going.


I think main of the backers are understanding the situation anyway. You rarely see complains among fans under kickstarter.com update articles. But I'm feel disappointed for backers who never played Shenmue because they don't know where their money has been invested. Bearing such miserable news must be really harsh for them.
User avatar
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2014
Location: France
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby darksniper » Tue May 30, 2017 3:40 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: It's funny because we recently had a discussion about the effect little videos/updates would have on backers during the slow update period, and here we are, with a lot of displeasure with the updates that have since come out. I was one of the posters that insisted any kind of update would be welcomed by the community. Guess I was wrong (and I'm being negative, myself). :evil:

My barometer for the health of Shenmue 3 & any possible delays will depend on whether or not Sega supports ports of the first two games. If they do, I think there's a lot that will go right for Ys Net & Shenmue III. I just don't see how they can fall too far behind schedule and keep things going if they're relying on Kickstarter money and whatever Cedric Biscay's company invested. There's got to be some more money keeping things going.


I think main of the backers are understanding the situation anyway. You rarely see complains among fans under kickstarter.com update articles. But I'm feel disappointed for backers who never played Shenmue because they don't know where their money has been invested. Bearing such miserable news must be really harsh for them.



Sega pitching in on the development costs of Shenmue III would go a long way. It would make sense for them to support their own IP, but logic and Sega don't mix.
User avatar
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: February 2010

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Is it still the theory that Sony funded the game but used KS to test the waters of interest?
User avatar
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned
 
Joined: August 2003
PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue May 30, 2017 4:00 pm

The reality is that Sony is paying for marketing. No one knows anything else. Cedric Biscay's company is supposedly providing financial backing, but no one knows how much. I don't imagine his company has much money, but I don't know the state of his finances, his company's finances or if he has outside investors. Then again, isn't Monaco an incredibly expensive place?

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Bluecast
User avatar
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net