Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby Himuro » Tue May 30, 2017 1:40 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Himuro wrote:No offense.

If sticking these two words on the end of your post makes it okay to talk down to someone, then just put them in your signature and save yourself some time. :lol:

Some people defend Yu's vision for Shenmue because that's what they've waited 16 years for. You might have been content with a sequel by someone else so long as it was a good game and you got an ending, but I think most fans have been holding out for the ending, and that can only be defined by Yu Suzuki. It very well might turn out to be something you enjoy less than you expected, but nonetheless, that's the story. That's Shenmue 3. If you wanted someone else's version of it that met your own specifications, there was always fan fic.

That isn't what I said at all and you talked down to me more than I did towards Bluecast. I'm looking forward to Yu's vision. It's why I gave hundreds of dollars to the project; it's why I've been on this forum for 11 years. But just because I'm looking forward to his vision doesn't mean I have to accept and like every single part of it. There has been absolutely zero justification or reason for a half man half spider and expecting every Shenmue fan after a decade of unanswered questions and our own ideas of the franchise to sit and swallow such a change just because it's "Yu's vision" is bs and shallow. If we are not allowed to have our own opinions on the franchise what's the point of having this board in the first place? You could say "play a different game/read a fan fic" but every Shenmue fan has the right to be heard at Shenmue Dojo so long as they discuss things in an amicable manner.

The second I fight a giant spider in Shenmue is the second the series - in my mind - has jumped the shark, and that being Yu's vision doesn't change that for me. It's just another video game with a stoic main character beating up fantasy creatures and then loses its appeal to me. This doesn't make me less of a fan, and that doesn't make Yu's creation untouchable either.

I'm saying all of this despite having the position that the Beefcake guy in the update isn't that big of a deal. I'm just saying that "Yu's vision" is not the indestructible argument many think it is. This doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to Yu's vision. Nuance is needed here and I think your post is greatly lacking it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 30, 2017 2:02 am

Himuro wrote:But just because I'm looking forward to his vision doesn't mean I have to accept and like every single part of it.

Who said you did?

What you "accept" and like about the game is your own business. My point is about the way you spoke (and often speak) of those with a different view to your own.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 2:03 am

Honestly I only kinda like Shenmue II but only finished it once. I adore the first game as it's more grounded and was the first game to replicate reality in an era of video games when that had not been achieved yet. Now the industry thrives on it. Still some things they have yet to touch Shenmue on IMO esp in the small details. I also play it now many times still amazed what they accomplished back then. I'm not looking forward to spiders either. That's not what made me love the first game. When I see spiders I am likely out. I played many games with stuff like that and like it in those games. If I am playing Shin Megami Tensei I don't expect to learn Martial Arts or take up Forklift jobs. Thing is crazier stuff has been shown before in Shenmue. If it becomes a series about magic swords and big spiders. I am less interested and go back tot he first game and play it again and some Yakuza. Accept it or don't that the series may change into something we didn't expect for better or worse.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Himuro » Tue May 30, 2017 2:29 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Himuro wrote:But just because I'm looking forward to his vision doesn't mean I have to accept and like every single part of it.

Who said you did?

What you "accept" and like about the game is your own business. My point is about the way you spoke (and often speak) of those with a different view to your own.

Well, I didn't mean anything bad towards Bluecast and I didn't even try to talk down to him or anything. I'm just tired of the argument that we have to accept things just because it's Yu's vision. People say it all the time. Even Bluecast said that when spiders appear that he's out. Is he really accepting the decision to include spiders if he leaves the series when spiders show up? But for some reason he expects us to accept it? How is he accepting the vision if he disagrees with it so much that he is willing to desert the series?

If you don't like my tone, I'm sorry. I'm trying to change it, but I think it's obvious that I have no ill will towards Bluecast. I'm just sick and tired and people saying that if Yu and his team decides on something the people of this fanbase just have to go along with it. That's all I was articulating.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby DAP » Tue May 30, 2017 2:31 am

Could the building in the background be in S3?

DAP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 2:33 am

Himuro wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Who said you did?

Well, I didn't mean anything bad towards Bluecast and I didn't even try to talk down to him or anything. I'm just tired of the argument that we have to accept things just because it's Yu's vision. People say it all the time. Even Bluecast said that when spiders appear that he's out. Is he really accepting the decision to include spiders if he leaves the series when spiders show up? But for some reason he expects us to accept it? How is he accepting the vision if he disagrees with it so much that he is willing to desert the series?

If you don't like my tone, I'm sorry. I'm trying to change it, but I think it's obvious that I have no ill will towards Bluecast. I'm just sick and tired and people saying that if Yu and his team decides on something the people of this fanbase just have to go along with it. That's all I was articulating.

No worries bud. No offense was taken. Shenmue fans are passionate and always have strong feelings for this series one way or another.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Himuro » Tue May 30, 2017 2:35 am

Bluecast wrote: Honestly I only kinda like Shenmue II but only finished it once. I adore the first game as it's more grounded and was the first game to replicate reality in an era of video games when that had not been achieved yet. Now the industry thrives on it. Still some things they have yet to touch Shenmue on IMO esp in the small details. I also play it now many times still amazed what they accomplished back then. I'm not looking forward to spiders either. That's not what made me love the first game. When I see spiders I am likely out. I played many games with stuff like that and like it in those games. If I am playing Shin Megami Tensei I don't expect to learn Martial Arts or take up Forklift jobs. Thing is crazier stuff has been shown before in Shenmue. If it becomes a series about magic swords and big spiders. I am less interested and go back tot he first game and play it again and some Yakuza. Accept it or don't that the series may change into something we didn't expect for better or worse.

How are you accepting it exactly if you walk away if you see spiders? Is this not a contradiction? You'll walk away but you expect people to not talk about their feelings of the spider? Just walk away, no talk, no discussion, just walk away after a decade or more? I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable to me. Perhaps I am reading your posts wrong? What do you mean by accept?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 2:36 am

DAP wrote: Could the building in the background be in S3?

Nah, it's the default background in the UE model inspector.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 30, 2017 2:37 am

I thought it was Shenhua's house after she pawns the magic sword.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Who said you did?

Also.

You said it.

This is literally what you wrote:

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:Some people defend Yu's vision for Shenmue because that's what they've waited 16 years for. You might have been content with a sequel by someone else so long as it was a good game and you got an ending, but I think most fans have been holding out for the ending, and that can only be defined by Yu Suzuki. It very well might turn out to be something you enjoy less than you expected, but nonetheless, that's the story. That's Shenmue 3. If you wanted someone else's version of it that met your own specifications, there was always fan fic.

Your "point" was was just one sentence in your post. You literally told me and others that if we don't like the direction of the series that we should look up fan fics. You LITERALLY wrote this:

What you "accept" and like about the game is your own business.

and this:

If you wanted someone else's version of it that met your own specifications, there was always fan fic

WHICH IS IT?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 2:43 am

Himuro wrote:
Bluecast wrote: Honestly I only kinda like Shenmue II but only finished it once. I adore the first game as it's more grounded and was the first game to replicate reality in an era of video games when that had not been achieved yet. Now the industry thrives on it. Still some things they have yet to touch Shenmue on IMO esp in the small details. I also play it now many times still amazed what they accomplished back then. I'm not looking forward to spiders either. That's not what made me love the first game. When I see spiders I am likely out. I played many games with stuff like that and like it in those games. If I am playing Shin Megami Tensei I don't expect to learn Martial Arts or take up Forklift jobs. Thing is crazier stuff has been shown before in Shenmue. If it becomes a series about magic swords and big spiders. I am less interested and go back tot he first game and play it again and some Yakuza. Accept it or don't that the series may change into something we didn't expect for better or worse.

How are you accepting it exactly if you walk away if you see spiders? Is this not a contradiction? You'll walk away but you expect people to not talk about their feelings of the spider? Just walk away, no talk, no discussion, just walk away after a decade or more? I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable to me. Perhaps I am reading your posts wrong? What do you mean by accept?

I'm not wanting Shenmue with giant spiders personally. Just saying fans of Shenmue can accept this maybe the direction it goes or not. If it goes there, I'm out on future titles (if it happens). Some may not mind it and keep loving the series and love the fantasy stuff. It's still just too early to fret what Yu may or may not have planned for the series. A series that took over a decade to get a 3rd game and be even greater miracle to see the series finish. Too early to borrow trouble that isn't there yet.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Himuro » Tue May 30, 2017 2:46 am

Bluecast wrote:
Himuro wrote:

I'm not wanting Shenmue with giant spiders personally. Just saying fans of Shenmue can accept this maybe the direction it goes or not. If it goes there, I'm out on future titles (if it happens). Some may not mind it and keep loving the series and love the fantasy stuff. It's still just too early to fret what Yu may or may not have planned for the series. A series that took over a decade to get a 3rd game and be even greater miracle to see the series finish. Too early to borrow trouble that isn't there yet.

Why did you bring it up then if you don't believe it's relevant to current affairs? :-k
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 30, 2017 2:48 am

Himuro wrote:WHICH IS IT?

Both. They're not mutually exclusive statements, nor do either of them say you have to "accept" or like anything.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Tue May 30, 2017 2:50 am

:-s

Okay.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 am

What happens if I don't accept that YS is japanese ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III