Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 30, 2017 10:42 pm

Jibby wrote: Please people, have faith. Realise that a screenshot from the development environment will look completely different from the compiled game, remember that we don't know where or when this character will be introduced, remember that the game is still in early development, but most importantly remember that Shenmue III is REAL!

I personally match all the points, I still think Shenmue 3 will be a great game, I watch and rewatch the E3 reactions pretty regularly just for pleasure and all the stuff but it is not contradictory with noticing points that we think odd.

The model itself was not updated since January so its general aesthetic is likely to be definitive. If it's not the time to judge (not the game, but only parts), so I think we can close the forum until the demo. Peter will probably appear to say, we're here to support the game, the team, to be literal fans. If you really want to help Suzuki, so follow Himuro's initiative, keep donating, address motivating words to YS Net, defend the project from the disinformation on the web or whatever.
You will likely think that my statement is unfair, impolite or harsh, that you're already doing all this stuff but you're close to doing the same thing with people who disagree with the prevailing opinion. So I don't see where the Dojo or members attitude has something to do with this. Calling toxic, bullshit or disgraceful a substantial number of posts in this thread is a very enigmatic statement for me.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: darksniper
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 30, 2017 10:45 pm

All I can say is that the 3D character does justice faithfully to Miyawaki's original concept art. If it's the direction Yu Suzuki is embracing, tough luck for the people displeased with it. Still, nothing here screams terrible or amazing until we see a cutscene or a gameplay section for us to judge whether the art is out of place within the game world. As of now, it just tells me that the 3D artists are competent in bringing Miyawaki's art concept to "life".
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed May 31, 2017 2:47 am

BlackHeaven wrote:Just a random thought: Maybe the model is an enemy with a backers face on it? :D

That would be the punchline to this whole thread.

"This character's face looks ridiculous!" :evil:

"Actually it's my face."

"But they've exaggerated it in such a cartoonish way!"

"No, they've pretty much nail- I mean yeah, haha. Looks nothing like me..." :cry:

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Yokosuka
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby BlackHeaven » Wed May 31, 2017 4:04 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
BlackHeaven wrote:Just a random thought: Maybe the model is an enemy with a backers face on it? :D

That would be the punchline to this whole thread.

"This character's face looks ridiculous!" :evil:

"Actually it's my face."

"But they've exaggerated it in such a cartoonish way!"

"No, they've pretty much nail- I mean yeah, haha. Looks nothing like me..." :cry:

Hahahhaha thats exactly what i mean :D
BlackHeaven
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Kiske » Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 am

For those complaining about the model not matching the environment in the picture I've posted.

Of course it doesn't match. It's a photoshop whose aim was to put the new model in a Shenmue environment just for fun.
There is no colour balance, no common shader, no exposition match between the (WIP) model and the (WIP) low resolution, old environment picture.

Now, if you want to blame somebody for the artistic direction or the technical lack of a game in the making, blame me. :king:

You know what? If I could play Shenmue 3 right now in this state, I would be more than happy!
Two years ago I would have been happy with a 15 minutes digest movie just to know what comes next... and look where we are now.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Yama
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Amir » Wed May 31, 2017 4:35 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Gen wrote: How do we know this character was designed by Miyawaki? Not saying it wasn't but the drawings don't look like his style at all.

Indeed, Amir (who had talks with some Shenmue III devs) said that several charadesigners are working on the project, I believe he meant 2d charadesigners. Althought that doesn't alter the initial argument.

Just to clarify, this is from the Monaco dinner in Feb 2016. We saw some concept hand-drawn sketches for new characters, and I noticed that the style was different from Miyawaki's. I asked Suzuki if it was by Miyawaki and he said that it was not, but would not say who the other artist(s) were. The concepts ranged from "quirky" (though not fantastical) to realistic, and I was encouraged by what I saw. I pointed out one bearded character I thought was particularly cool and Suzuki laughed and said "Maybe Shenmue IV" so that they would have the graphical power to properly render the beard :P

I don't remember seeing the guy in this concept video in those sketches, but this was more than a year ago.

Amir has received a thanks from: Gen
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Yokosuka » Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 am

I find surprising that complex hair can still alter development plans with PS4 hardware like it did with Lan Di on Saturn/Dreamcast. It must be a hell of a beard. :P

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Amir
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Wed May 31, 2017 5:22 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: There is nothing "toxic" about people critiquing the content, as long everyone is civil about it. At least that's what I think.

One could argue that singing kumbaya no matter what until the game drops to avoid negative opinions and then freaking the F out would be more damaging.

Bingo. We only critique for the sake of the saga. We realize how pivotal it is right now to ensure our voices are heard and that the original artistic expression of Shenmue is adequately continued into Shenmue III.

We can't be apologist fanboys. We have a responsibility to critique responsibly and ensure this work of art doesn't become another cartoon caricature of the video games industry, but something more...something human.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Thief » Wed May 31, 2017 5:31 am

Meh looks fine. I'm sure things'll look better as time goes on and he's not just some guy in a T-pose.

Remember though, even if no Shenmue III at E3, we still have an HD version of I and II to get our hopes up over. I'm hoping for HD announcement in June, with a release at the end of the year. With Shenmue III delayed till 2018. I would enjoy that time-frame, already want to replay I and II before III anyway.

Thief has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed May 31, 2017 5:43 am

ShenmueLegacy wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: There is nothing "toxic" about people critiquing the content, as long everyone is civil about it. At least that's what I think.

One could argue that singing kumbaya no matter what until the game drops to avoid negative opinions and then freaking the F out would be more damaging.

Bingo. We only critique for the sake of the saga. We realize how pivotal it is right now to ensure our voices are heard and that the original artistic expression of Shenmue is adequately continued into Shenmue III.

We can't be apologist fanboys. We have a responsibility to critique responsibly and ensure this work of art doesn't become another cartoon caricature of the video games industry, but something more...something human.

What if every single Shenmue fan gives Yu his opinion and it appears that there are as many opinions as they are fans?
Which artistic direction should Yu-San take? What choices should he make to please you, me, and every other single fan?

It's everyone's right to criticize YsNet choices of course or express frustration, as long as it doesn't become destructive for both the work they are trying to achieve and the Series itself.

My personal opinion is that we need to respect Yu Suzuki's choice and let him work in the best environment we can (as fans) create around him. When and if Yu Suzuki asks us (fans) to give some advice, to express our opinion or give them feedback (with the demo to say one thing that comes to mind) then it will be the right time to critique for the sake of the saga.

And please... when the game will finally come out, support it, even if it's not as good or as Shenmuesque as you hoped it would be. As fans we can do that for Shenmue and I think personally, that we can do that for Yu Suzuki who never let his dream (and our dream) die.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 31, 2017 5:48 am

Unless they spend more time in the forum than developing the game, I doubt any of the banter here will take any notice.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Wed May 31, 2017 6:06 am

<--- Shenmue III would do well in representing the art direction of this avatar.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kiske » Wed May 31, 2017 6:09 am

shredingskin wrote: Unless they spend more time in the forum than developing the game, I doubt any of the banter here will take any notice.

That's not what I'm saying.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Wed May 31, 2017 6:22 am

YSNET don't read these boards so why people are getting into an uproar over the style of a prototype is beyond me. As if something is going to be drastically altered or changed.

I don't know if they do read any of the community's outlets, but even if they did, I can tell you it will not matter at all to Yu Suzuki. I had an indepth conversation last year in Japan with the executive producer and his close friend about his methodology and direction techniques, and long story short, there's no compromise to his vision or how he does things. He gets what he wants one way or another. That's the bottom line. No arguments.
And who can blame him for that. It's how he creates games which is what has made him one of the legendary video game creators of all time. I'm going to trust what Yu Suzuki presents based on his 30 years of game development. Not a post on an internet forum who has an opinion that the art direction is not "a true representation of Shenmew".
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 31, 2017 6:30 am

Peter wrote: YSNET don't read these boards so why people are getting into an uproar over the style of a prototype is beyond me.

Because it's a discussion forum about Shenmue ? What else are we supposed to do if not talk about Shenmue ?

What do you expect the conversation to be ?

NEW SHENMUE III FOOTAGE
- That's a video.
- Indeed it is.
- Well spotted.

People talking about how the footage looks it's pretty much the first thing that comes to mind.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III