YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Postby Rakim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Ha Ha
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: Interesting thread on Reddit that just popped up and caught my eye. The Star Citizen Sub Reddit are praising how upfront and genuine Yu Suzuki and YsNet have been in regards to the delay:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6g109g/if_sq42_gets_changed_to_a_2018_release_i_hope_cig/

When you think about it, they are 100% correct. CIG (Cloud Imperium Games - the people behind Star Citizen) have delayed the game (and the pre-alpha content drops) over and over, which is fine and people expect it, but they always do it at the very last minute with a note on the forums etc. YsNet handled this perfectly with grace and confidence (even though Yu did look a bit worried/disappointed in the video :P). With the whole Awesome Japan craziness, it's very nice to see a complete 180 where we hear a direct statement from Yu himself.

WP YsNet!

If I had an infinite money fountain I would also keep delaying the game. By the way, since they are praising YS... can't they give us a couple Ms?
Last edited by killthesagabeforeitkillsu on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sappharad » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Spaghetti wrote: YSnet aren't going to say where the money is from, so this is cyclical and pointless if you're not satisfied by valid suggestions made by other posters.

I'm also surprised that nobody has mentioned the recent job listing updates in this thread.

For those who either don't recall or haven't seen it in another thread, (I don't remember which thread at this point) they removed 'urgent' from multiple job listings at some point within the last 2 weeks. Those listings are still up, but no longer urgent. It's likely that they weren't even spending money as a fast as they wanted to because they couldn't hire as many people as they wanted to. The delay gives their existing team more time to finish, and the money they would have spent on additional staff is just shifted towards paying the existing staff for longer.

As others have said, they wouldn't have delayed for that long if they didn't have the budget for it. Although they might be hoping for some additional slacker-backer funds after the first two are re-released.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Deta
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:12 pm

To be honest, in hindsight, the original Dec. release date seems all the more puzzling now.

I suspect that Suzuki & co originally low-balled the backer minimum ($2M), almost expecting to make an interactive movie of sorts. The backing then quickly took a legendary turn, with the team now tasked to meet an almost impossible release date. At this point…when do you announce a delay? Certainly not towards the beginning, as the “press” would have jumped all over it.
(I can see the “Shenmue Trouble: Suzuki asks for patience (and money)” headline already.)

All in all, I’d say the timing here was as close to “perfect” as possible.

Then again, perhaps they really did try to meet this impossible release date for the longest time (sleeping at the office/ etc/ etc), before finally giving in to reason and planning ahead accordingly. Who knows.

One thing is for sure: this entire KS has been nothing short of a fascinating experiment.
Whatever happens, it’s been one hell of an exciting ride. For everyone.

…Only thing missing now is that fabled HD remaster announcement ;)

punkmanced has received 5 thanks from: Deta, nskachu, RootyKazooty, Switch, Yokosuka
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mrandyk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Deta wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: YSnet aren't going to say where the money is from, so this is cyclical and pointless if you're not satisfied by valid suggestions made by other posters.

I know YSnet wont tell where the money is from. It was more of a rhetorical question. Brain storming.

What are the valid suggestions exactly? All I see is ppl belittling this one dude because he was concerned about the financial side.
I know its pointless. I didnt start it, I just made my statement but someone just had to come and start spewing nonsense and claiming they know what is truth and what is not.

YS never planned on releasing in 2017. It was either an overly optimistic estimate they used to help generate funds on Kickstarter, or the true estimate if only $2,000,000 was raised. I'm positive that from the start of development that 2018 was their true target, and all budgeting has been planned as such. There is no need to worry about a delay at this point because it does nothing to reflect on the current state of development.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: Deta
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:29 am

If Shenmue 3 were to come out in 2017, then I couldn't see how an HD collection would have been released... now it seems possible, which excites me. A delay is not a huge problem. Like others have said, if it improves the game, then it's worth delaying for. I'd rather it be a success than have it rushed out... plus we're Shenmue fans, we can play the patience game.

However, I've yet to understand the complaints over the Shenmue campaign. I tend to be a pretty cynical person (sometimes), and if I was disappointed with how Shenmue 3 was being handled, then I certainly would have voiced that dissatisfaction. But Shenmue's development? It's fine. They're clearly working hard on the project and the money seems as though it's being budgeted reasonably. I tend to roll my eyes when I hear people call the campaign a disaster. I think kickstarter is just a hot-button topic ever since those "nostalgia-flops" (Mighty Number 9, Yooka-Laylee)—and everybody wants make a deal out of nothing because of their newfound expectations regarding how "bad" kickstarter is. "They're wasting your money!" "This is a scam!"... fucking please.

Just no more Fanta and we'll be fine.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:19 am

Peter wrote:Some disappointing news, but for the greater good! Yu Suzuki has announced that Shenmue 3 will be delayed until at least the second half of 2018.

phpBB [video]

Media Articles

IGN
Eurogamer
Metro
Kotaku
MCV
VG247
Dualshockers
PSU
Destructoid

its not disappointing at all. we all knew that anyway. and the game is gonna be exactly what everyone was hoping for all the time.. n9t a compromise. its gonna be bigger and better and more beautiful than we could ever have dreamt. :)

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:56 am

perfectly happy about this :) I always thought a December 2017 release was too early for Shenmue, so this great news imo
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:40 am

Esppiral wrote: I may be the only one dissapointed here......

We are all disappointed that we won't get to play it sooner, but we understand its for the better. 8)

It surprises me somewhat you'd think they'd be able to hit that rather ambitious target given the time and labor intensive work you know that needs to be done. No es demasiado tarde para volar y ayudarlos! :mrgreen:
(sorry google translate there!)
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:59 am

punkmanced wrote: To be honest, in hindsight, the original Dec. release date seems all the more puzzling now.

I suspect that Suzuki & co originally low-balled the backer minimum ($2M), almost expecting to make an interactive movie of sorts. The backing then quickly took a legendary turn, with the team now tasked to meet an almost impossible release date. At this point…when do you announce a delay? Certainly not towards the beginning, as the “press” would have jumped all over it.
(I can see the “Shenmue Trouble: Suzuki asks for patience (and money)” headline already.)

You know what. It means the low-ball backer of $2 million was going to be a shell of a Shenmue 3 game. The minimum. That or Sony & Shibuya Prod actually were going to handle the rest. Either way it doesn't sound good.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Sappharad wrote:I'm also surprised that nobody has mentioned the recent job listing updates in this thread.

For those who either don't recall or haven't seen it in another thread, (I don't remember which thread at this point) they removed 'urgent' from multiple job listings at some point within the last 2 weeks. Those listings are still up, but no longer urgent. It's likely that they weren't even spending money as a fast as they wanted to because they couldn't hire as many people as they wanted to. The delay gives their existing team more time to finish, and the money they would have spent on additional staff is just shifted towards paying the existing staff for longer.

As others have said, they wouldn't have delayed for that long if they didn't have the budget for it. Although they might be hoping for some additional slacker-backer funds after the first two are re-released.

It's kinda hard to make anything out of YSnet's recruiting page seeing how infrequently it gets updated and how we just don't know the context as to why when they do update it.

But you are right that YSnet wouldn't have announced a delay without a plan to pay for it. Between the Slacker Backer site, Shibuya Productions, and maybe having a year's worth of runway left of KS funds - they've definitely got multiple ways of keeping the lights on for another year.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Anyone keeping an eye on the Neilo job page? It seems their staff has increased since it was last posted about a couple years ago. They don't seem to have a lot of working capital, though it's increased since last posted about as well. Not sure why that type of information is listed on their site.

http://neilo.co.jp/recruit/
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby spud1897 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Quite pleased they are delaying the game. Means it will be the best it can be & Shenmue 3 doesn't have the luxury of being anything other than perfect as we know the gaming press will jump on it.

I'm intrigued as to how big the game will be and what they've discovered they can do over the course of development.

Fingers crossed for an announcement of Shenmue HD to kick things off.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:20 pm

At this point I'd be shocked if we don't get a Shenmue III announcement this year if not at E3.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Telekill » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Bluecast wrote: At this point I'd be shocked if we don't get a Shenmue III announcement this year if not at E3.

Huh?

Are you talking about as in Shenmue 3 actually happening? Because it is.
Are you talking about an update trailer shown at E3? I'd enjoy that but....
Are you talking about a simple couple screen shots or mention at E3? ...I doubt it without Yu being there.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III