YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Postby adom11800 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 am

At first I was disappointed with this news as we were getting the game in about six months but you know what, this is much more a good thing then it is bad. I was thinking it would be delayed until Feb/March 2018 so my jaw kind of dropped when Yu Suzuki said 'second half of 2018' but he gives a very good and positive reason.

The game will be bigger, better and more polished, sure it's quite a delay but that time will spend in making the game we all want and what Yu Suzuki wants. We want it more like the first to games and for it to be different as well. It was so satisfying to hear that he's now able to make the game more like his sixteen year long dream vision and his other quote 'In many ways, the game has become bigger and more beautiful than I initially expected' was a beautiful thing to hear. Every Shenmue fan wants to hear that. I'm pleased for Yu Suzuki that he has found out he can do more with the game, with new possibilities and with the technology. Now that the game won't be out for quite awhile and some time next year, this gives more time for Shenmue HD to come out. I personally don't see it happening at E3 but that doesn't mean it won't ever be.

We have a pretty long road ahead of us guys but in the end I think and hope Shenmue III will be worth it. We want the best version of the game for it to be a success, not for it to be a failure and for the series to go into development hell again. We want to see how the story finishes and for that we want to see Yu Suzuki's game and if we can 'beautiful' just like the first two games. I'm liking the nice and positive reactions of the delay by the way. It's goes to show how much people love Shenmue as a community. We did save Shenmue after all.

How good is it gonna be when we finally see a trailer of Shenmue 3 and gameplay? The future is bright I hope.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:51 am

fittersau wrote:Second half of 2018 means E3 2018 or even TGS 2018 can be suitable times for hype.

TGS 2018 is a little late, unless another delay happens.

I'd still keep an eye on PSX this year, though. They may buckle to pressure on showing more at that point, or they may just be comfortable releasing footage like that into the wild.

E3 2018 would be interesting if they held out for a full year. It'd be hell on earth in certain threads on here and on the KS comments waiting for it, but holy shit would it be amazing if they came out with a full-on bombastic trailer with a mic-drop moment of a release date at the end.

But again, some of the rewards stuff like the backer demo mean they may move quicker than that on a reveal.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SheepheadCG » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:22 am

Very nice article here from Dualshockers. They usually keep their content factual with little/no personal comments so seeing this article was a nice change of pace.

Pretty much sums up how we all feel:

http://www.dualshockers.com/e3-2017-dreams-shenmue-remasters/

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby adom11800 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
The_Fuzileiro wrote:The only thing that scarys me is the "posture" of Suzuki san in these video. He seemed a bit nervous like, no smiles... no confidence in his words... this brought me the ideia o him announcing another "estimate" date for release just to calm down people. Like he was on pressure to give a final release date for most angry fans, avoiding backers to ask for a cash-back in the kickstarter.

I think he just looks that way because it's generally pretty awkward to do a spoken piece to camera in a single take when you're not really in a media trained job.

It's better to look at the content of his words rather than how he spoke them.

drunkensailor wrote:there is money now not going into the game that is going into the salaries of all these people for an extra year.

You really do live up to your username, huh.

drunkensailor does make a point though. Who is paying the development team to make this game?
adom11800

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:12 pm

There aren't two boxes labelled "money for the game" and "money for salaries." Paying salaries is what pays for the game.

As for where the next 6-12 months' money will come from? We're not in a position to know. It might have been budgeted from the original crowdfunding haul. It might be unexpectedly left over from that haul because they couldn't immediately fill the positions they needed. It might be new investment from a third party. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to us. Wherever it's from, they clearly have the cash to pay for these extra months or else why would they announce their intention to do so?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Gen » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:23 pm

adom11800 wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
The_Fuzileiro wrote:The only thing that scarys me is the "posture" of Suzuki san in these video. He seemed a bit nervous like, no smiles... no confidence in his words... this brought me the ideia o him announcing another "estimate" date for release just to calm down people. Like he was on pressure to give a final release date for most angry fans, avoiding backers to ask for a cash-back in the kickstarter.

I think he just looks that way because it's generally pretty awkward to do a spoken piece to camera in a single take when you're not really in a media trained job.

drunkensailor wrote:there is money now not going into the game that is going into the salaries of all these people for an extra year.

drunkensailor does make a point though. Who is paying the development team to make this game?

Maybe they put aside money from the start for a possible delay, or they're receiving more money from other sources such as Sony, Shibuya or possibly some other investor that we don't know about. They obviously have the money to delay the game and prolong development. The argument that the game would somehow be worse because of more development time is kind of weird. Paying the salaries for the developers is "money going into the game".
Gen

Postby adom11800 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Gen wrote:
adom11800 wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

Maybe they put aside money from the start for a possible delay, or they're receiving more money from other sources such as Sony, Shibuya or possibly some other investor that we don't know about. They obviously have the money to delay the game and prolong development. The argument that the game would somehow be worse because of more development time is kind of weird. Paying the salaries for the developers is "money going into the game".

Yeah, it does seem like they have got more money somehow. What Suzuki said about the technology makes me think he is able to more with game. Heck, the whole team.
adom11800

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:09 pm

adom11800 wrote:drunkensailor does make a point though. Who is paying the development team to make this game?

They either still have KS money runway left, are utilising Slacker Backer funds, have received money from Shibuya Productions, all of the above, or none of the above.

Take your pick. Any one of them could be the case, and it's very unlikely we'll ever find out which it is. The point is that YSnet has multiple avenues to get the money to go for another year.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Yknow, a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake or spiritual successor would be incredible. The game is up there with shenmue IMHO. It's a shame Sega didn't make more epics for their systems; they had some insane talent.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:45 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:Yknow, a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake or spiritual successor would be incredible. The game is up there with shenmue IMHO. It's a shame Sega didn't make more epics for their systems; they had some insane talent.

I never got to play that series (I did briefly try Orta) but recently I played phantom dust (i believe the same director worked on them?) when it was made free and I loved it! Recently bought crimson dragon as it was £3, is it similar enough to panzer dragoon?

Can't believe it, less than 24hrs for MS's conference and less than 2 days for Sony's :-O

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:09 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:Yknow, a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake or spiritual successor would be incredible. The game is up there with shenmue IMHO. It's a shame Sega didn't make more epics for their systems; they had some insane talent.

I never got to play that series (I did briefly try Orta) but recently I played phantom dust (i believe the same director worked on them?) when it was made free and I loved it! Recently bought crimson dragon as it was £3, is it similar enough to panzer dragoon?

Can't believe it, less than 24hrs for MS's conference and less than 2 days for Sony's :-O

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

No. Because Panzer Dragoon games are actually good. Crimson had so much promise but it's a terrible game. Orta is easier to play on a more approachable system if you don't have a Saturn to play Zweii or the first game. Saga is an RPG and unlike the main series. Great game but not the same. I think Orta is BC on Xbox 360. If I recall there is a way to unlock the first Panzer Dragoon in Orta with a code.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby adom11800 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:54 am

Spaghetti wrote:
adom11800 wrote:drunkensailor does make a point though. Who is paying the development team to make this game?

They either still have KS money runway left, are utilising Slacker Backer funds, have received money from Shibuya Productions, all of the above, or none of the above.

Take your pick. Any one of them could be the case, and it's very unlikely we'll ever find out which it is. The point is that YSnet has multiple avenues to get the money to go for another year.

Well said. I agree.
adom11800

Postby Suzuki Yu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:26 am

Spaghetti wrote:
They either still have KS money runway left, are utilising Slacker Backer funds, have received money from Shibuya Productions

I don't know why you people are always excluding Sony as if they didn't participate at all in Production.
Sony is involved in marketing, publishing AND development support/funding. maybe not as big as Shibuya in that regard but still.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby alexironaek » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:32 am

A great video on YouTube from TeamYuNeedsYou with the reactions from the community 8)
https://youtu.be/iLKU7fG1M7Q
Last edited by alexironaek on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexironaek has received 2 thanks from: RootyKazooty, SheepheadCG
alexironaek

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:38 am

Surpirise, surprise. ;-) Pretty much everything I wanted to say has been said already. No hard feelings about the delay as far as I'm concerned. I hope they do have the money to pay for the delay and hope they'll put the extra time to good use.

The one thing I want to stress however, is this: Whatever YS Net do, they should meke a really big effort to finish this game in 2018. The one thing they must absolutely not do is causing a second delay. If that happens, the media will tear it to shreds and also the PS4 will probably be on its way out in 2019.

All Sony consoles had something like a 6 or 7-year life-span. PS1 from 1994 to 2000, PS2 from 2000 to 2006, PS3 from 2006 to 2013. That means, if Sony will make a PS5, it's probably gonna come out in 2019 or 20.

I don't want to see another Shenmue game coming out on a dying system, so I really hope YS Net will get their act together and release S3 in 2018.

Hyo Razuki has received 2 thanks from: RootyKazooty, VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III