Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - [WAIT] - [QUIT]

Postby pennypincher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:16 am

It is quite usual for a developer to assist the media, especially when their product is WIP and anything but stable. To craft a demo and test on various hardware is a time-consuming effort just for the sake of generating PR which makes it rather logical for a dev to want to be in control. There is nothing fishy about it. Who exactly are the outlets that desperately try to interpret way too much? I haven't checked them yet.
pennypincher
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:23 am

In terms of volume, there seems to be a lot of European outlets who picked it up and are spinning it negatively in the article titles. Even Gameblog did that, which is incredibly frustrating as it's been a Shenmue-friendly site in the past. You can find them pretty easily searching Shenmue on Twitter.

There hasn't been a lot of coverage in English language press (it's kind of a non-story anyway). Gematsu's article is the most prevalent, but is pretty neutral and not spinning things. Unfortunately a lot of the stupidity about what this means is coming from comment sections from people who either never read beyond the headline, or simply have an axe to grind.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby pennypincher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:03 am

The negativity in the KS comments section is also somehow disheartening.
pennypincher

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am

pennypincher wrote:
Peter wrote: Thanks for the info PP.

Ok, so forget about Devcom, and get a press pass sounds like the plan. I submitted my file for accreditation a couple of days ago so hopefully hear back about that soon.

I suspect with that much info, you are German?

Yup, German. And for that winning guess you are given as many washing machines as you could possibly handle, on a unicycle, single-handed.

Well, jokes aside, it should be feasible to get a press pass with gamescom, it really is much more complicated elsewhere.

@ mods/admins: I joined the Dojo several years ago but could not sign in due to password problems and a mail account I don't have access to. Can we merge this account with Dennis_SM and rename it to Dennis ? Thank you.

Awesome. Can me not change your name to Uberweiss??

Yea it did seem a bit of a lax check list for press, but hopefully I qualify! I will see if Yama can have a look at your old account and see if we can get them merged.

pennypincher wrote: The negativity in the KS comments section is also somehow disheartening.

It's been like that for a while, with a couple of certified crazies over there. Actually crazy. They were banned from here a while ago, and now just act crazy over there.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby pennypincher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:58 am

Fuck yeah, Uberweiss, let's go for it. Or better Dennis. Hm, okay, Dennis should do it.I honestly went crazy when I got that KS update yesterday. That update and too much coffee, though. Need something to sign by Suzuki-san, the Shenmue Vinyl would be perfect. Or Shenmue II DC.
@ Spaghetti: Stalked your profile, so hello, fellow creative, photojournalist talking to you :)
pennypincher

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:39 am

Haha. Hope the creative industries are treating you well.

------------

On the subject of the KS comments, there's one guy who's just like a pied piper of madness over there. I dipped into his posting history the other day to see if he's always been like that and... yep. Guy was a fruitloop from the start.

He's going to flip his lid when the Gamescom showing inevitably doesn't meet his expectations. Short of a full playthrough of the game, he won't be satisfied. Since even October 2015 he's been on about "show the materials shezook" and wanting full trailers when the game has barely entered production.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby adom11800 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 am

I'm sure whatever they show will be good. I'm not expecting too much to be shown at Gamescom as Shenmue 3 isn't out until later next year. Maybe they are actually taking the right approach, Gamescom is only really the start of footage videos, etc.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:26 am

I'm not too worried about it. I can't believe the comments about how we're "owed" the first look. I'm sure the press will reveal everything we need to know during and after the conference.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 pm

The update isn't even ambiguous on that point. It outright says backers should stay tuned to games media for the information as it comes in, which makes attempts to manufacture controversy even stupider.

YSnet aren't even done announcing their plans (you'd think calling the last update "#1" would have tipped the brain trust off about that tidbit), and it's an inevitability a KS update will be published during Gamescom!

:lol:

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Snoopbob2006, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 pm

I'd laugh if it was just an image of a new vending machine. I'd actually be laughing so hard, shake Suzuki's hand, keep laughing and walk away.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Jibby, Snoopbob2006, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby pennypincher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:28 pm

ATOMROFLMAO
pennypincher

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 pm

Don't you think they will upload everything they show at the gamescom in the August update? Clips, images, info... That would be the best option in my opinion.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Jibby » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Peter wrote: I'd laugh if it was just an image of a new vending machine. I'd actually be laughing so hard, shake Suzuki's hand, keep laughing and walk away.

Some would be angry, but I for one cannot wait to try the delicious and improved taste of New Jet Cola.

Jibby has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:40 pm

The salt would be beautiful if that happened.

Hazuki00 wrote: Don't you think they will upload everything they show at the gamescom in the August update? Clips, images, info... That would be the best option in my opinion.

Oh that's almost definitely what's going to happen.

It's just the PR aspect that means we may not get everything immediately. How would YSnet be able to convince journalists to take bookings to see the game if everything was online already? They couldn't, really.

Doesn't mean backers are going to be left with scraps. If anything, I'm predicting the bulk of what YSnet have to show at Gamescom will end up online during the show, with something separate for journalists to write about that possibly gets released to the public later.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:40 pm

@Spaghetti's update just made the whole thing sink in with how much of a big deal this is with journo's interviewing/seeing the game. While the project is very much in development, what ys.net will be presenting seems to be closest thing yet to what's indicative of the end-product... no biggie... :O *collapses*

May already have mentioned it, but seeing Ryo roam around for a few seconds would be amazing and that's kinda where I'm keeping my expectations, and be delightfully surprised by the rest.

Would be cool to see more of Ryo (mugshots ftw!) and perhaps some more UI elements and inventory, but that might be asking a lot. But since many outlets are going to see the game, perhaps there really is going to be a a little bit more to satiate them (like the others mentioned, if not straight away then shortly after).

Hoping for the best in that they get to present their craft as they intended. Hasn't quite clicked with me on just how much of a big milestone this will be for them (to start showing and talking) and for us to see something more tangible.

Also for everyone that's going I hope the most recent update doesn't dampen your visit too much. Hoping you'll all be 'promoted' as 'professionals' to visit the 'business' area. Just don't have too many drinks when Randy Pitchford is around xD #BackdoorShadyDealz.

Seriously though that #ShenmueSaved interview with Yu Suzuki was amazing and to me (and I'm sure the rest of us) another interview with Yu-san or the team at gamescom would be waaaay more poignant and profound than anything the other outlets will report about regarding the project. I know that's a little jaded / disrespectful to the media but when certain sites try to make 'much ado about nothing' as @Spags just mentioned with the most recent update it makes me a little concerned what those vultures would do when the gamescom material is out there. :/

*breathes* Remembering the 4 wude and to keep friends close! The haters gon' hate but as with any other project/kickstarter they will just subside eventually and we will left with ourselves and Shenmue mother-cheddin' 3!

Jibby wrote:
Peter wrote: I'd laugh if it was just an image of a new vending machine. I'd actually be laughing so hard, shake Suzuki's hand, keep laughing and walk away.

Some would be angry, but I for one cannot wait to try the delicious and improved taste of New Jet Cola.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Jibby
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III