Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - [WAIT] - [QUIT]

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 am

I been reading all of the comments nice job everybody. I couldn't be more excited about this.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby adom11800 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Okay, Forza Horizon 3 was out in September 2016 after they showed that footage so it's no way Shenmue 3 will have footage like that lol. Anyway, I'm just gonna stop thinking about it and see what happens. Hopefully it will all be good at gamescom.
Last edited by adom11800 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Yeah, half an hour of footage is a little much to hope for.

I have to say, I think I might be more excited about YSnet having a room at the event to take meetings/show the game off/do interviews than just having Shenmue III pop up at a conference.

Bodes well for a more in-depth look overall.

EDIT: Of course there's still time for Sony to confirm a conference too. Imagine a story trailer during the conference and more extensive gameplay demonstrations in the days. It'd be like having our cake and eating it too.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:06 pm

The more time goes on, and I have no doubts about Sony handling promotion and marketing, I can't help think more and more that Adam Boyes literally did mean that, "this is very much, THEIR project". Add to that Gio Corsis response at last year's PSX, and the continuing no show at Sony keynotes etc. If something is ready, E3 was the biggest stage to show anything. Now it seems YSNET are doing their own thing, at an event Sony has been known to shun I'm the past.

Perhaps we are off the mark by always looking to Sony at these events. Apart from a picture or two of Gio and Suzuki whilst he is in Japan, Sony really have kept this project at arms length since E3 2015.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:29 pm

They are definitely keeping the game at arm's length, despite the attempt to look a bit warmer towards it when it was obvious it'd smash KS records, but I wouldn't say we were off the mark.

Promotional/marketing deals do mean press conference time in most cases, so it was reasonable to expect Sony to be facilitating that for YSnet. They still will, at some point.

But as of right now, our expectations are being pretty heavily subverted for how a formal re-reveal is being handled. I don't think we could have predicted Shenmue III skipping E3, to then reemerge for Gamescom with what could be a gameplay-first approach to promoting the game.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Yu Suzuki's presence being confirmed is huge news to me, this means they have something substantial to show at the event!

Can you believe it? for the first time in 17 years we'll finally see proper Shenmue 3 gameplay :multi:
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby pennypincher » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Peter wrote: Yea it's not a very well described event. I mean the questions outweigh the answers with Gamescom.

Does YSNET attend Devcom now?
At this point, no.

Is that the developer conference?

devcom is the Developer conference and the successor to the now defunct GDC Europe.

Or the Gamescom public keynote?
devcom will host keynotes targeted at different audiences.

Can people purchase the business pass/VIP pass (at ridiculous prices)
They can, providing the necessary credentials.

Does a press pass allow you into the business area?
Yes, that is the main purpose of the business area, to arrange meetings between publishers and press as well as business-to-business talks and sales.

Is the Devcom press accreditation separate from Gamescom accreditation?
Yup.

Is the Gamescom Congress related to this?
It is rather a Germany-centered range of panels concerning the local games industry.

It says some fans may be granted access to business halls on the Tuesday. How?
This is called the wildcard process. A select bunch of regular visitors will be granted access to gamescom on Media Day.
Wildcards are sold and made available provided you subscribe to the gamescom newsletters. It's basically a raffle.
However, this has always been heavily critisized by both publishers and press, complicating and overcrowding gamescom at their very first day which should be reserved for media professionals.

I could go on but I will leave it there for now.
Yes, gamescom's website is a mess.

pennypincher has received 2 thanks from: Peter, Spaghetti
pennypincher
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info PP.

Ok, so forget about Devcom, and get a press pass sounds like the plan. I submitted my file for accreditation a couple of days ago so hopefully hear back about that soon.

I suspect with that much info, you are German?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Telekill » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Peter wrote: Thanks for the info PP.

:| ;-) :-o :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotflmao:

I'm sorry. The five year old in me saw Peter thanking PP.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 pm

PP in the potty :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:15 am

Fingers crossed for the press pass.

There's nothing in the criteria (that I can see) which would exclude the Dojo/Peter from being accepted, so I guess now it's just down to chance.

If you get the pass, you'll probably have to book an appointment with whoever is handling the PR for Shenmue III's showing. You might be able to get that information out of Joel if it's not immediately apparent who to talk to.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby pennypincher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:36 am

Peter wrote: Thanks for the info PP.

Ok, so forget about Devcom, and get a press pass sounds like the plan. I submitted my file for accreditation a couple of days ago so hopefully hear back about that soon.

I suspect with that much info, you are German?

Yup, German. And for that winning guess you are given as many washing machines as you could possibly handle, on a unicycle, single-handed.

Well, jokes aside, it should be feasible to get a press pass with gamescom, it really is much more complicated elsewhere.

@ mods/admins: I joined the Dojo several years ago but could not sign in due to password problems and a mail account I don't have access to. Can we merge this account with Dennis_SM and rename it to Dennis ? Thank you.
pennypincher

Postby Kiske » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:31 am

Funny how the 30 minutes of Forza Horizon 3 gameplay generated comments. :lol:

My point was only to get us a basic idea of what happens for games presented behind "closed doors" and also to reassure everybody of the potential coverage of such "closed" event by media outlets.

Now, back to the central question raised almost everywhere after the update.

Shenmue 3 will not be participating in the visitors area. Just as a reminder, here's the show floor from Gamescom 2016.

phpBB [video]

Can you picture YsNet running a booth for the whole Gamescom?
Offering what to the visitors?
A polished 2 minutes trailer running for 96 hours?
A playable demo absolutely not representative of the final product version of Shenmue 3?
YsNet could be hosted by a partner? That could happen actually, at least, that's how I imagine YsNet idea to do something for the fans.

What I'm trying to say here (and again, I get totally the frustration of the fans going to Cologne) is that the road YsNet has decided to take with Gamescom 2017 is the best one.

Shenmue 3 being in the business area means YsNet will have full control on what they show and how they show it. They will be able to meet the press and whoever they want in the industry with some privacy, answer to questions, explain their technical or artistic choice, give interviews, make announcements, etc...

About one or two month ago, we did agree about the fact that creating a trailer for an event like E3 was particularly time, energy and money consuming and that this would take ressources away from the game development.
Agreeing to that also means that a playable, stable build of Shenmue in a controlled environment available for the media outlets and the industry only is a smart choice.

Suzuki San is going to be there. Talking about the game, maybe making contacts within the industry and adressing aspects of the game production he cannot handle when in the Tokyo office.
The presence of Shenmue 3 at Gamescom 2017 and the way it's going to be present is a fantastic news for many reasons.

I feel sorry for those going there with the hope to see Shenmue 3 on a big screen, or even play it, but it wasn't going to happen in my opinion. That said, the fact that YsNet is aware of the fans expectations and that they are trying to organize something for them is another proof that they do care about us.

Fingers crossed, but I've to say, this update really got me excited and makes me confident about Shenmue 3 quality at the moment.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:54 am

It's not a controversial or unusual way to show the game at all, which ultimately why it's even more puzzling that some games media sites are trying to portray it as such.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 am

Spaghetti wrote: It's not a controversial or unusual way to show the game at all, which ultimately why it's even more puzzling that some games media sites are trying to portray it as such.

Happiness doesn't sell, I guess.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III