Kickstarter Update #71: Gamescom 2017 Update #2

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #71: Gamescom 2017 Update #2

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Yokosuka, one of these days you're gonna give me a stroke. :lol:

It's not unreasonable for backers to recall details given to them little under a month ago. Maybe it's a compelling argument to start recapping the previous update at the start of new ones, though.

I didn't know Shenmue III was funded primarily by goldfish.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Yokosuka wrote: People who has been misled are literally stupid according this forum, ok.
Sorry but it's another communication fail in the long history of Shenmue III campaign fails. And it's not a question about pessimism as I can read above.
The CM job is to explain more what you supposedly need to anticipate any fog, even the foolish ones. I don't know why the team just didn't put a few-words reminder about the business part. It's easy to criticize people to forget the previous update when you are a Shenmue over-obsessed fan. The only real tools here are the media.

Nah, nothing misleading at all about it. No communication failure. It's pretty crystal when combined with the last 2 updates regarding Gamescom. If people cant throw a couple of brain cells together to work it all out, I can buy a box of crayons tomorrow and draw some basic drawings that might make more sense.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Goldfish I don't know but I think the way of Gamescom internally works still remains confusing for many people so a little reminder was needed imo - especially when your business part is supposed to show incredible premiere content to the rest of the world! The writer should have expressed a bit more enthusiasm so naturally the silence about the video content might sound suspicious in people mind. Although his sheet has still nothing factually wrong, we all agree.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Peter wrote: Nah, nothing misleading at all about it. No communication failure. It's pretty crystal when combined with the last 2 updates regarding Gamescom.

Not intentionally misleading (I'd say intentionally misleading is the way some press said that it won't show), but could be worded without any gap to fill by casual readers since without context ¨venue¨ could be both interpreted as "public showing" and "gamescom" (and it's quite a update for the niche of fans that are going to be there).

Now that outlook filters promos/automails makes it difficult for other people to see the updates if you're not actively looking for those.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 pm

I'd go one better and say we are just a few folk getting bogged down over a matter of language. Words for fuck sakes. This news will kick in properly across the gaming media and the world when it actually goes down at the event itself. In fact, not a lot of eyes are ever on Gamescom in general. I believe that Shenmue 3 material will take a lot by surprise who don't know that it's even going to be there. It will not disappoint either. I know it won't. I've seen it.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: iyapol, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Telekill » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Yeah, this is the first time I've been hyped for Gamescom.... ever.

Generally I'm a little excited to see some new content but never get overly excited for anything. I have hopes that I'll see a couple things almost every year and I generally don't get what I wanted. This year, at least I know I'm getting some Shenmue 3 info... which is awesome.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Is it poorly worded?

Well, if there is this much confusion among everyone, I would say yes, it could be more clear, and not as mysterious. BUT I was mainly talking about this

Greetings Everyone!

Gamescom 2017 update for coming your way!

:lol: I think they mistook the word "for" for "is", an honest mistake im sure, or just a mis translation.

I'm sure we will get some good information and media at the show though, but even if for some reason we dont, I wont be disappointed, they can take their sweet time as far as I see it. I have barely kept with whats been going on, and for good reason, I want all the surprises on release. Going back under my rock now!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:12 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Well, if there is this much confusion among everyone, I would say yes, it could be more clear, and not as mysterious. BUT I was mainly talking about this:

*snip*

The confusion is largely coming from a.) people not reading the update correctly, or b.) not joining up the dots from the other Gamescom updates issued merely a few weeks ago.

The proofreading is indeed terrible, but this is a long way from the total fuck up of communication we had with, say, that dumb rewards poll at the end of 2015.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Technophilz wrote:
Peter wrote:
It's very generous of him. I bet Kojima wasn't walking about the public show floor after the Sony showcase in 2016, meeting and talking with fans.

I personally wouldn't recommend any Kojima/Suzuki - Kojima Productions/YSNet comparisons. We (Shenmue fans) already have enough disappointments through out the past 17 years ...

I know you're past this already, but I can confirm that Peter's assumption is accurate. At PSX last year, Kojima was not accessible to fans in such a manner. I heard that the line for his autographs on the first day had filled up in the first 30 minutes of the event, a few hours in advance. When I went thinking I could get in line about 30 minutes before it started, I found out there was no chance. He was ushered to where he needed to be by people and taken away when done.

Kojima wasn't the only one though. When I went through the outdoor area in the middle of the building during the afternoon, (it's an area with tables where people can eat, outside but surrounded by the conference center so you don't have to leave the building and wait in the security line again to get back in) there was some Japanese guy that I didn't recognize sitting at a table eating by himself with 3 or 4 bodyguards standing around him. I'm assuming he was the Resident Evil director who gave autographs later that afternoon, but never actually figured out.

On the other hand, there were other less famous people who just floated around the floor normally. Tim Schafer had his own autograph session, yet after it was over he just went to his company's booth and people could just walk up and talk to him, and he did autographs and selfies for people without having to wait in a long line for them. I was waiting in line to try the Psychonauts VR thing when he got back from his autograph session and he just walked up to the line to ask how people were doing. I had heard other people mention that David Jaffe was also just walking around the show floor checking out booths himself.

I'm glad to hear that Yu is willing to meet with fans right on the Gamescom floor.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Kickstarter Update #71: Gamescom 2017 Update #2

Postby Axm » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 pm

Wow. Guys, really now. I didn't read the previous updates or tweets etc before this confirming videos will without a doubt be at gamescom. I only read previous updates saying simply that they will be at gamescom and must have missed that they indeed will show videos and more.
I haven't kept up like some of you. Yes thats my fault. Please excuse me.
So when I read this new update I couldn't connect the dots. Poorly written or not.
So when a fellow Shenmue fan who's got nothing but good intentions and high hopes makes a misinterpretation please hold back in the snarky remarks. Clarify and move on. And if others have already clarified before you, then it's done. Chill.

Anyways such a relief to know we will without a doubt see some solid new footage. It's been a while. Especially for those who weren't privy to classified content.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby iyapol » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:07 am

Yokosuka wrote: People who has been misled are literally stupid according this forum, ok.

Correct.

iyapol has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:16 am

Nonetheless, I think we can draw a line under it now. Hopefully everyone understands the update at this point, so let's all pull this thread out of the usual whirlpool of circular debate or just let it die if there's nothing new to say.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby adom11800 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:19 am

I'm still very curious as to what these 'new announcements' are gonna be. It may sound big but might not be anything major, who knows. Maybe Shenmue 3 will be on the Xbox One now?
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Switch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:42 am

I've made a post on Phantom River Stone which hopefully captures the essential points from the last 3 updates about it, and reduces any confusion.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... at-we.html
Last edited by Switch on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Switch has received 7 thanks from: Axm, Hazuki00, Jibby, Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:51 am

Well, call me stupid if you want to but this sounds like they will be there but nothing will be shown to the public. I can see some shaky cam footage getting out but this confirms the game isn't in presentable yet.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III