New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Postby KidMarine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:24 am

I'm starting to like Ryo's model more and more. It's not quite there yet, but it's not far off.

KidMarine has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, iyapol, Sonne2, VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby munchmunch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:41 am

Peter wrote: Some explanations I've been kicking about for the logo.

1. Deep Silver have taken it upon themselves to design a placement logo as YSNET had decided to change the logo from the paraypus font to something else.

2. Deep Silver just drafted this up for the press release. Nothing more

3. The new logo we seen last month is going to be the logo on the backer copies only, and this Deep Silver logo is what's going to appear on the retail version.

Either way, this is technically the FOURTH logo used for Shenmue 3.

I thought it was the third? The first was that ugly papyrus font, second was the original one with the S separate from the other letters, this one we're seeing now the third. Which is the other one?
munchmunch
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Esppiral » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:41 am

Spaghetti wrote: The obsession with clutching to the passport models is ridiculous considering Ryo never actually looked like that through all our hours actually *playing* the game. It's ruinous and warps expectations into unrealistic territory.

It was a moon-shot at realism on Dreamcast, but that's it. As good as they were then, they fall short immensely on modern standards of realism, and aren't stylised enough to look like an art style decision.

No one wants realistic characters, Shenmue is more about stylized charecters, I don't see Why they can't atempt to use similar aesthetics, no one is asking for Realistic characters, but for charecters that remotely resemble to the one they are atempting to cosplay...

Actually basic facial features of this new Ryo are mostly identical to the passport one, yet, they fail to match its aesthetics.

Yes Dreamcast Ryo never looked like the passport during normal gameplay, yet it didn't look like the continuous abominations we are getting, so.... If we have to choose one..

I won't get tired of repeating the same, passport model quality is nothing unreachable, and they still look fenomenal even today, not AAA level, but quite serviceable

Shen Huas Passport says hi.

This is far from being realistic, yet is appealing, something those new characters fail to achieve.

Esppiral has received a thanks from: Fei Fong Wong
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am

munchmunch wrote:
Peter wrote: Some explanations I've been kicking about for the logo.

1. Deep Silver have taken it upon themselves to design a placement logo as YSNET had decided to change the logo from the paraypus font to something else.

2. Deep Silver just drafted this up for the press release. Nothing more

3. The new logo we seen last month is going to be the logo on the backer copies only, and this Deep Silver logo is what's going to appear on the retail version.

Either way, this is technically the FOURTH logo used for Shenmue 3.

I thought it was the third? The first was that ugly papyrus font, second was the original one with the S separate from the other letters, this one we're seeing now the third. Which is the other one?

Technically we had just the original Shenmue font during the Kickstarter videos followed very shortly by the pyrapus font. Then last month we got a new, slightly modified original font again, and now this mad Deep Silver one. It was a question James asked him about last year to which he responded with how he preferred the pyrapus logo at that point.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am

This is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:30 am

Verderame wrote: Somehow Ryo almost looks like Cristiano Ronaldo :rotflmao:

I think these models are actually pretty good, especially Shenhua's one. It's just the lighting and the shaders that makes them look off.

Do you mean this guy? 8)

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am

Yokosuka wrote: This is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life.

I feel sorry for your life then.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Spaghetti, Your Boy Leroy
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 am

Yokosuka wrote:This is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life.

Well after you said that you would personally feel betrayed if Lan Di smiled once in a way that displeased you, I don't think anyone here seriously cares what you think.

Enigma has received 2 thanks from: Peter, VukBZ2005
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby KidMarine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:53 am

Yeah the lighting's a bit off and there's a few little things I'd change, but I pretty much like this Ryo model. Shenhua is another story, but there's still time.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Enigma wrote:

Well after you said that you would personally feel betrayed if Lan Di smiled once in a way that displeased you, I don't think anyone here seriously cares what you think.

I barely understand the purpose of this message apart showing your feelings deeply hurt when someone expresses opposite opinion than yours, but anyway...
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Enigma wrote:

I barely understand the purpose of this message apart showing your feelings deeply hurt when someone expresses opposite opinion than yours, but anyway...

Opposite opinions are all well and good. When someone lives on a forum trashing someone else's work at every opportunity they get because they think they're a connoisseur of game design that's a different matter entirely.
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby jcjimher » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Enigma wrote:

LOL, as if your message were an example of balance and a ponderated opinion!!
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Centrale » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Usually we see Shenhua with a different type of facial expression, particularly more relaxed eyelids. To me it just looks like they did a quick screen capture and turned her head slightly from the bind pose. As several have mentioned, we'll get a better look at her and Ryo when they're in motion, in an environment, with proper lighting.

The new logo is a mystery to me. My initial reaction is that I don't like it. Although it is more legible, it doesn't have the look of someone who has mastered the brush. So I look forward to hearing more about this.

Edit: As to the statements that some have made that the characters look "plastic." I don't agree. Especially if you look at the full size image, you can see very fine detail in the pores of the skins, the wrinkles of the lips. But in reality, someone who is about 18 years old usually doesn't have very visible pores and wrinkles and such. The sheen on Ryo's skin in particular looks like he's in a hot, humid environment. So, to me, "plastic" is a very vague description, please be specific in what it is you want to see more of... deeper pores? More wrinkles? Veins visible under the skin? None of those would be appropriate for most characters in their late teens. But let's hear it with some specificity.
Last edited by Centrale on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Enigma wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Enigma wrote:

Opposite opinions are all well and good. When someone lives on a forum trashing someone else's work at every opportunity they get because they think they're a connoisseur of game design that's a different matter entirely.

Saying all my posts are offensive is a biased and very unfair observation.

Then it's not my fault if 75% of the shown work so far is highly disappointing. I would like to be like Peter and see only the positive, but there are things that cannot be omitted. If you want to be reassured, I don't think the game is turning bad at all. The official com around is just... shocking and not very professional, and that's a real concern for me.

We are all linked together to Shenmue by our passion for Suzuki and his games. A community gathers every type of character, from the over-passionate person to the eternal moaner. Well, looks like the second role is given to me. Be sure I'm not pleased with that.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Esppiral » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Upon closer inspection it looks that the models are based off the Passports ones....

Yet they somehow managed to make them look ugly, maybe are those dead eyes, maybe in motion they will look fine, time will tell.

Esppiral has received 3 thanks from: iyapol, PseudoDev, Yokosuka
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III