Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:49 am

One thing that I liked about Shenhua's in-game Dreamcast model was that she had a round-ish, flat face, which made her really look like a countryside girl from South China. But I see they are now going for a much slender, "pop-culture-cute" kind of face, which, in my opinion, is a bad move.

And, if they want to give her a slender face, why not make her look like the CG artwork that shenhaZ just posted? It's 2017, for Christ's sake! Surely, they can do better than the plastic, action-figure-like textures that we're seeing in this image from the press release.

Again, I'm going to wait until I see the characters in-game, in motion, with proper lighting etc., to pass judgement, but I can't believe how some people are saying that they look good right now. I mean, do they look better than in the KS pitch video? Well, yes, but they looked absolutely horrendous there, so that's not saying much.

Again, I find it odd that they're revealing the most recent character models in a simple publishing partnership press release, when it would make much more sense to save it for Gamescom. Not only that, but the KS update regarding this announcement does not it even mention it at all, they don't even say "Hey, folks, here's the new character models for Ryo and Shenhua!". I mean, you'd think that would be big news, as that's one of the things fans are most anxious about, but they didn't even mention it. Which gives me hope that we'll see something more recent and improved at Gamescom. And, if we don't, still plenty of time for tweaks.

On a more positive note, I'm really digging the glowy, dream-like feel of the backgrounds. I feel like I could just roam around those places forever.
Last edited by O Rei do Frango Assado on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:57 am

Esppiral wrote: .....I give up.... really. ..

Those faces make you cry like an anime fan on prom night ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 am

Funny how a few years back people were saying how satisfied they would be with a Shenmue 3 book, manga or even an unfinished Dreamcast build to be leaked online to give us closure to the story.

Now we're getting the real deal and we're all moaning about virtually everything we're seeing in each and every update. Suzuki must feel so encouraged.

Enigma has received 5 thanks from: Hazuki00, Ikuzuh, rdk_nl, Sonne2, VukBZ2005
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:06 am

Ok, from something that looks OK but unfinished, they end up with something that looks like they bought 3d graphics from somewhere. Everythin, even enviroments are ultra-glossy. its some really strange release.

But anyways, all this thing doesnt matter, until the final product is released. So its just for talks.
JohnBlack

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:11 am

It seems that they already ahve defined the style for the inhabitants and the world of Shenmue 3. I'm sure in movement it will make us change our mind about these images. Besides, there is a lot of time left to make improvements. I remember seeing the model of Ryo in advertising trailers before the launch of Shenmue 1 and they touched some parts of his face. Even Shenhua is a bit different from Shenmue 1 to 2.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:12 am

Enigma wrote: Funny how a few years back people were saying how satisfied they would be with a Shenmue 3 book, manga or even an unfinished Dreamcast build to be leaked online to give us closure to the story.

Now we're getting the real deal and we're all moaning about virtually everything we're seeing in each and every update. Suzuki must feel so encouraged.

Yep. That's why I don't bother commentating anymore, and speak with fans privately who share a more level headed approach with less knee jerk reaction attributes.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Enigma, Sonne2, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:13 am

I actually like Shenhua new model. She looks very Chinese like. Is impossible for them to look the same as the Dreamcat when graphics has advanced so much. We just have to get used to them in time.

The_Intruder has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Sonne2
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:18 am

Jesus... almost everything in that image is so funky-looking.

The models just look like Saturn/90s cg renders versions of their Dreamcast-era design, and it's 99% about shaders and lighting and 1% about actual modeling (they're actually fairly good from that point of view, in my opinion).
Looks like we're coming full circle with Virtua FIghter RPG after all! :mrgreen:
So, so plasticky, they don't even look like all the other characters we've seen so far.

That logo, though. That thing is inexcusable. It's simply horrible. Please, just stick with the freaking original one. Pretty please.
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 am

Just for fun...

I did my best without staying on it for 24 hours :mrgreen:

Kiske has received 5 thanks from: Amir, Centrale, Ikuzuh, iyapol, VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby TheTimeRanger » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:22 am

I'll pass on judging the character models... for now.

The environment looks amazing!

But the logo.. I thought we had gotten over the horrible first one and were getting the original?
This almost seems worse than the first one #-o
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger

Postby shenhaZ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:22 am

Weel, some of you have a chance to ask Yu Suzuki about it on gamescom.

I wounder if it was a publisher decision to show the models, because there is none of them on kickstarter page.
shenhaZ
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Lucky Hit

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:24 am

ShenSun wrote: Its been a great journey.

Fug, I actually prefer the 4th Ryo and the 3rd Shenhua.

But it seems the changes are more of a matter of art direction than actual models. I wonder why they went this direction.

I'll just calm down and wait to gamescom.

EDIT: Could it be that it's just old material ? It doesn't really make sense that they do a KS update to show their new logo, and around a month later change it again to something pretty different.
Last edited by shredingskin on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:24 am

Somehow Ryo almost looks like Cristiano Ronaldo :rotflmao:

I think these models are actually pretty good, especially Shenhua's one. It's just the lighting and the shaders that makes them look off.
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:30 am

I think some people really need to go back and look at the state of the E3 models. This is so far ahead. They even managed to avoid something I thought they might do; which is getting rid of Ryo's more tanned complexion.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III