Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Why release a trailer?

I think backers forced them to. We did. So many months in darkness, etc. caused people to light them up over paltry updates, skippage of large events(E3), etc. I think that pressure culminated in a need to show something, however unready it may be to show the project is progressing and money didnt dissipate to nothingness(like several Kickstarters)

I think they felt obligated to show something based on that. Damned either way.

I'm sorry--I think the game looks fine in recent screens, more is needed but it's 12-16 months AWAY from release..a lot can change.

Mass Effect: Andromeda made a lot of strides in the patches they did. Apples to oranges, but goes to show you much can change in a few months time.

Valascaziel has received 3 thanks from: RenDur89, VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby John Doom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Don't worry, it wasn't us backers: if so, they would've just released it as a kickstarter update.
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby punkmanced » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 pm

I was really surprised to see such a long teaser at this point, especially given the big delay that was recently announced.

Still, WIP or not, it felt pretty surreal to watch the video.
It's incredible to see new footage after 15+ years.

Anyway, I think Shenmue fans are understandably happy… but I question how non-fans will take it. Are gamers used to watching incomplete trailers at game shows? Will they even give enough of a shit to realize that this is very much WIP footage? (Not explicitly labeled in the actual video)
It certainly is a ballsy gamble.

Shenmue 3 is a tricky one; everyone’s trying to find their pace, place and space in this crazy KS project.
Baptism by fire.

Assuming all ends well, Shenmue 4 should basically be a breeze development-wise.

punkmanced has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:45 pm

I think it's that we don't know for sure if the facial animations are there or not. Some people here are declaring that this is representative of the final game, other people are telling us not to worry because it will improve, as if any of us know for a fact about either outcome. Although I guess that's the internet. :)

Unlike the original two games, Shenmue III lacks a robust budget/team size to spent a lot of manpower and money on elements that may get a lot more time and attention with a AAA production value. It's a reality of games developed from a Kickstarter campaign, and I think more people need to be ready for the possibility that Shenmue III will not look like Yakuza 6, either terms of character models or how they market it. I know most of us do know that, but I think the internet and casual audience at large have yet to understand the vital differences between Kickstarter games, and the GTA5s of the world.

Let's not deify Yu Suzuki and his team, I think he can be trusted to make the best use of what he's got, but we can't pretend that budget/team size aren't vital assets to a game's development that can seriously hamper/help the outcome of their ambition.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Spaghetti? That you Spence?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: all over the internet people are now laughing at this. they should not have released any trailer as shit as this one. gives shenmue 3 a very bad rep. I'm sure the faces will be fixed but to people and journalists watching and rating this they think this will now turn into shit. the youtube video also got a ton of downvotes.

Still the appearance at Gamescom and the Trailer on Sony's official PS channel got S3 a ton of exposure. The S3 Trailer is standing at 370k views at the moment and counting. The video is standing at about 7500 upvotes versus 2000 downvotes, which means that roghly 80% of the viewers who give a vote like the trailer.

Sure, people will see the facial animations aren't there yet, but people will also see the environments and the fight scenes looking fucking phenomenal. Those people just don't tend to be as vocal as the sour and hateful people.

Also, for me personally, I've made it a general rule of thumb not to read any user comments. Not just related to Shenmue or gaming in general but on all websites. User comment sections tend to be dark places in general, and especially on Youtube. One should not read user comments. Ever. No matter what video you're on. :D

mass effect andromeda got a ton of bad exposure as well and the game failed.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby ShenSun » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:12 pm

I look forward to comparing this teaser trailer to teaser 2 and 3 and seeing the improvements.

ShenSun has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, VukBZ2005
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SledgeNE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I don't know if i'm wrong or it was posted here before, but was it not reported that the Dev-Team has no experience with the Unreal Engine 4 when they are started work? I mean i read that before. So when this is the case, the material looks fantastic. I agree with that it would be better, when under the Teasers stands "Work in Progress".
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby renofheavens » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:43 pm

I don't like the aesthetics at all. The whole environment looks too shiny. I know its at least a year before the game comes out, but this still has me worried. Especially after all those recent kickfailures.
renofheavens
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Otogi

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 pm

renofheavens wrote: I don't like the aesthetics at all. The whole environment looks too shiny. I know its at least a year before the game comes out, but this still has me worried. Especially after all those recent kickfailures.

It literally doesn't look shiny at all, do you even know what that word means?

Fair enough if people want to say they personally don't like the style of the environments, but it's clear they are objectively well detailed and technically produced environments... not like the lack of facial animation.
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Enigma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm

So I've probably seen the teaser trailer well over 20 times already and I keep checking my phone every 10 mins to see if any more news has creeped out of Gamescom. Feels like E3 2015 all over again. I better stop obsessively checking my phone soon though. People might start thinking I'm having an affair or something.

Enigma has received 4 thanks from: Fei Fong Wong, Gromber, VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby Bluu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm not worried by the lack of facial animation at this point. I know it doesn't give a great first impression to new fans, but this is something they will no doubt fix as development goes on.

It looks great for a game with such a small budget compared to other Triple A titles out there.

Bluu has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
Bluu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:04 pm

ShenmueForeseen wrote:
renofheavens wrote: I don't like the aesthetics at all. The whole environment looks too shiny. I know its at least a year before the game comes out, but this still has me worried. Especially after all those recent kickfailures.

I do agree its to shiny and garishly. But I am ok with this because it looks beautiful =P~
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby Only Child » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:32 pm

First time posting here in a while, glad to see some familiar faces still around.

I agree with punkmanced; a highly surreal experience to watch something which I never believed would exist. I must say I'm surprised by the negative reaction. I saw the trailer posted on Eurogamer in a pretty negative article, although their concerns were mainly about the graphics. However when I watched it I must say I was impressed with the whole aesthetic, there's a certain 'plasticky' look to the characters but somehow I kind of like that slightly artificial look; I have a feeling Yu is perhaps aiming for an 'next-gen' version of the original character models in order to keep their original look intact. I'm guessing Ryo (for example) with a more realistic character model may start to deviate too much from how he looked on the Dreamcast, and his appearance is pretty iconic to fans of the series.

Pleasure to be posting here again, honestly I never thought I'd see the day. What an epic, decade spanning ride this community has been through :lol:

Only Child has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Only Child
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Shenmue_Trilogy wrote:
ShenmueForeseen wrote:

I do agree its to shiny and garishly. But I am ok with this because it looks beautiful =P~

I think the shiny look is because the textures on the characters don't match the level of detail of the textures in the environment. Their skin is too smooth. The best thing they could have done was show the camera panning through the environments and a couple of shots of Ryo fighting with the muscle guy. The longer the environments were the focus of the trailer the better it looked. But then the characters detracted from it.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III