Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:24 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: all over the internet people are now laughing at this. they should not have released any trailer as shit as this one. gives shenmue 3 a very bad rep. I'm sure the faces will be fixed but to people and journalists watching and rating this they think this will now turn into shit. the youtube video also got a ton of downvotes.

Still the appearance at Gamescom and the Trailer on Sony's official PS channel got S3 a ton of exposure. The S3 Trailer is standing at 370k views at the moment and counting. The video is standing at about 7500 upvotes versus 2000 downvotes, which means that roghly 80% of the viewers who give a vote like the trailer.

Sure, people will see the facial animations aren't there yet, but people will also see the environments and the fight scenes looking fucking phenomenal. Those people just don't tend to be as vocal as the sour and hateful people.

Also, for me personally, I've made it a general rule of thumb not to read any user comments. Not just related to Shenmue or gaming in general but on all websites. User comment sections tend to be dark places in general, and especially on Youtube. One should not read user comments. Ever. No matter what video you're on. :D

mass effect andromeda got a ton of bad exposure as well and the game failed.

It got a ton of bad exposure right before release when it was clear the game was going to ship that way. It didn't have the benefit of later impressions. Big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby mue 26 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Actually, I think this trailer has been received fairly well by people of a sane disposition. I sometimes peruse rllmuk, a forum that kind of started out life as an EDGE magazine forum I think, and which members regularly refer to as the second cuntiest forum on the internet. Indeed I can attest to the level of cuntiness on that forum, they absolutely laughed me out of town during the old #giveyutheshenmuelicense (love that hashtag) days, it was so bad I actually cried. But just reading their reactions to the new trailer now, and it's almost entirely, overwhelmingly positive. And they aren't the easiest crowd.

The trailer has also gone down very well on here for the most part, so really, I think it's probably just loonies on neogaf that seem to think this trailer is 'ass'. And it was inevitable really. Everything I've seen of that forum has been fairly ridiculous and loony, and Shenmue 3, a small budget game yet with impossible hype and 15 years worth of dreams on it's shoulders, was always going to be an easy target for their bile.

The trailer is fantastic, it's pleased 99% of Shenmue fans, so there's no need to worry at all. It's looking lovely :oops:

mue 26 has received 3 thanks from: RenDur89, Switch, VukBZ2005
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 pm

It's taken me awhile to let everything sink in about this trailer. How much I liked it, the degree etc.
In the end, I really am very happy.
Especially with a year or more away this game is just starting to heat up in development.
I cant believe this game is materializing into something we will actually have and play in our hands after so many years.
These are good times my friends.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Gastarot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 am

Was a bad idea to showing this trailer (or build anyway looks trailer) people waitting Ryo for long time, the climax to showing Ryo was not emotional at all for many points, slow discovery, drama intense scene, face expression... when we showing trailer for public all need to be clean and finish. showing trailer not finish it's mean maybe the game will be not finsh as well ! For communication it's definitly a Giant idiot mistake.

No emotion at all for this teaser then but as preview was great.
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Kiske » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 am

Gastarot wrote: Was a bad idea to showing this trailer (or build anyway looks trailer) people waitting Ryo for long time, the climax to showing Ryo was not emotional at all for many points, slow discovery, drama intense scene, face expression... when we showing trailer for public all need to be clean and finish. showing trailer not finish it's mean maybe the game will be not finsh as well ! For communication it's definitly a Giant idiot mistake.

Yeah yeah... we all know the issues with the teaser by now. Thank you.

No emotion at all for this teaser?

I peed a little because of the emotion from this scene. (Not to talk about the cave scenes....)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Gastarot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 am

yeah it's true i like this scene too. fighting in shenmue it's all time cool. but.. all time emotion start and go down for many reasons. title design in the end killing my last emotion. anyway i wait and i will be patient, i think Yu Suzuki want this. I bealive him.
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:19 am

they really jumped the gun releasing that teaser trailer; it’s getting ripped to shreds on almost every corner of the internet. The thing is, any decent PR firm (or fan) could have told them that trailer wasn’t fit for public consumption. It should have been clearly labelled as “work in progress”, plastered right across the whole video; and released directly to backers, not on PlayStation’s official YouTube channel as a “teaser”.

(not saying the public aren't allowed to watch it, I just mean their expectations would be lower if it was labelled "work in progress" and they had to find it through the kickstarter page)

You're setting expectations calling it a teaser while releasing it on other public channels. The expectations with a teaser is that you’ll show a slice of polished, representative visuals and game-play. But they clearly haven’t got around to animating faces or polishing up the mo-cap and camera work. They should have just done environmental flybys as the environments look fantastic.

Gonna be honest; outside of fans who understand where the game is right now; this trailer has done more harm than good and is simply fueling all the circle jerk internet toxicity that’s unfairly buried so many games in the past. I don’t think Yu understands the gaming community and the internet isn’t the same as it was back in 1999/2000; these days its full of man-children who thrive on making mountains out of mole hills and relish tearing things down; if you release uncooked content like this and don’t carefully present it as “in progress, not final” well, you are asking for trouble.

and quite how Yu Suzuki takes all the unanimous outcry from fans to bring back the old logo and then internalizes it as "I should make the logo!" is anybody's guess at this point. This one boggles the mind the most; especially when they seemed to finally understand only just a month ago.

The flip flopping and general directionless feeling I get from their PR is a little concerting and I certainly hope that doesn’t extend to the development team.

As a side note, I’m not sure what they are doing to Shenhua but stop it!.. that isn't Shenhua.. they've retcon her outfit for some reason too.. That said; I do think the Ryo model is perfectly fine but the face just needs animating.

I'm still confident they'll polish it up and release a fantastic game, I just don't think Yu has his finger on the pulse of what the online community is like these days and their PR has been lacking.

RiGoRmOrTiS has received 2 thanks from: Mr. Rod, punkmanced
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 am

Suzuki has said that these re not final models and that facial mocap is not implemented, Dont worry about that people! How could someone think that he would release a game like this? So low expectations have the fans? He never would never allow that to happen. I'm very excited, the game has to be amazing!!

Fei Fong Wong has received 3 thanks from: Enigma, RenDur89, VukBZ2005
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 am

The question would be more: when is the remaining part going to be implemented? Because sure, we'll certainly get final models and polished mocap with no problem but there is so much to include yet.

That's the only point I emphasize with the critics so far.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 am

I can understand the state that the game's currently in. It's a small team, KS project, not much done before it was funded (in terms of artwork), and their attention has clearly been focused on other areas with the characters likely to be a WIP til the final moments of development.

The reaction to this can be split into two categories:

- Fans who have seen every little bit of progress and see this as a huge leap on what has come before.
- People who're seeing this as a trailer for a current gen game that is being "officially unveiled".

There are pre-alpha builds of games from a good few years back with better character models. The lack of audio other than a single instrumental. The incoherent nature of the trailer (absolutely no context given for people who don't know much about Shenmue) That piss poor logo...

I understand why people like it, and understand why people dislike it. To pretend that it's flawless or shite beyond comprehension is a little silly, and to consider anyone who doesn't have an opinion that perfectly aligns with your fanboy perceptions or cynical sensibilities to be retarded is frankly, well... retarded.

MiTT3NZ has received 4 thanks from: Mr. Rod, SickOctopus, TwiceFriedRice, VukBZ2005
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Verderame » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 am

It's not about being blind fanboys, but more like being rational, thoughtful human beings with a functioning brain.
Literally no one is saying that everything in that teaser is good, that the characters model and their animations are flawless and no one should be allowed to say otherwise or something like that.

But it's really, really not that hard at all to understand that this is footage from a work-in-progress project that is still not going to come out untill a year and half or whatever.
Or are you saying that you actually believe that they're going to ship the game in this state? With marionette characters, unfinished shaders and no facial expressions whatsoever? Really?
I'm sorry but if that's the case, well, it's beyond stupidity.

That's it.

And, like i said before, everyone should stop being so worked up about dumb people's overreactions over the web.
Internet's loud minorities do not reflect real world. (Way) less than one hundred users from a couple of internet forums combined do not reflect reality.
There is no single reason to be emotional affected by any of that, you're just going to make your life worse.

Verderame has received a thanks from: RenDur89
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 am

Ahhhh that gif Kiske posted gives me shivers up the spine every time.

Already looking like Shenmue III has better direction than 99% of video game fight scenes.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:59 am

Kiske wrote:
Gastarot wrote: Was a bad idea to showing this trailer (or build anyway looks trailer) people waitting Ryo for long time, the climax to showing Ryo was not emotional at all for many points, slow discovery, drama intense scene, face expression... when we showing trailer for public all need to be clean and finish. showing trailer not finish it's mean maybe the game will be not finsh as well ! For communication it's definitly a Giant idiot mistake.

Yeah yeah... we all know the issues with the teaser by now. Thank you.

No emotion at all for this teaser?

I peed a little because of the emotion from this scene. (Not to talk about the cave scenes....)

I showed the video to my brother who is a Shenmue fan and had both a loud laugh when we saw that scene because of the stiff animation. :lol:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 am

Executive producer of Shenmue III:
However, this time we weren’t able to make it on time for the video. While the video we presented this time was meant to be a promotion for us, I believe that it was a little premature. Since starting the project in 2015, we haven’t released that many videos. Since we signed a publishing contract with Deep Silver, a part of us felt the need to announce “We’re continuing the project’s development under a new establishment. Please rest assured,” and we felt that it would be wrong to not have any kind of video, so we decided to release one this time around. It might sound like a bit of an excuse, but even though there are some parts that we feel is lacking or some parts that we’re not satisfied with, we decided to go ahead with it because we didn’t want to not have anything to show for it.”

I really feel sorry for them.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:12 am

If Deep Silver is providing much more support, like Suzuki implies, then I'd expect things like teaser/preview videos to turn out better in the future. Then again, Deep Silver did publish Mighty No. 9...
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III