Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:34 am

Maybe Chai got kicked out of the Chi You Men for his failures, and now is following Ryo around wanting to be his protege. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: John Doom
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby shredingskin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:39 am

At first I didn't like the cartoony characters, but after the trailer, I don't hate them.

Still I would prefer more a more normal aesthetic, but I guess that's what YS thinks the game should be.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby iyapol » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am

'However, one thing I regretted about them was that their interconnections, and connection with other elements [of the game], was weak.

Even if they are not as fully-fledged, I'd like to improve their integration and extend the connections they have within the world.'

That is one of the most exciting things I've read from Switch's Dengeki translation. One of the biggest criticisms of Shenmue I was the pointless items you could buy from the Tomato stores. These items would just sit in your inventory gathering dust - dead money.

This was addressed somewhat in Shenmue II with the introduction of pawn shops however there were still a number of things that lacked, in Yu's word, interconnection.

iyapol has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Senpai Gamer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 am

I was reading the NG247 interview and i have a few questions relating to this specific Q&A:

"Q: Back in the day you talked about chapters – about the Shenmue story being a certain number of chapters. Has that structure changed after all this time? How far along that timeline is Shenmue going to take us?

YS: As you know, I wrote an 11-chapter story as Shenmue’s original story. This is a base of the story, obviously. If I make it, we’d need 11 games – and that’s not going to happen! Shenmue 1 was chapter 1. Shenmue 2… around 80 percent came from chapter 2. The remaining 20 percent was sliced from chapter 4, 5 and 6 – pieces of it. And in the case of chapter 3, that was actually totally removed.

You know, originally I thought… maybe with Chapter 2 and Shenmue 2 we’ll make it open world, big, and then next one is going to do a deep, deep dive into a small area – but make it very deep. That’s the concept I was thinking. Think of it as… the world through a telescope is interesting… but also a magnifying glass on a small area would be different, and fun, and most interesting.
I knew that if we made Shenmue 3, people would be mad if I didn’t make an open world [laughs]. I still have a wish where I’d like to make a very closed world game as well. My definition is not an ordinary closed world… it’d be very, very closed… but very deep."

So Shenmue has 11 Chapters:

And Shenmue 1 covered 100% of CH 1 (This part i understand)

But Shenmue 2 covered 80% of Ch 2 as well as 20% from Chapters 4,5 & 6

Eh? So what was the other Cut 20% content of Chapter 2 of Shenmue About???

Also Yu-san said that he put pieces of Chapters 4-6 into Shenmue 2

So does this mean that Shenmue 3 will continue on from Chapter 7?

If so i am cool but have questions:

How big were Chapters 4,5 and 6? I mean if Yu san put only pieces of them into Shenmue 2, arent we missing a lot of content?

I mean shenmue ch 1 and 2 were Huge! But then all of a sudden were only getting pieces of the remaining Chapters?

Also did Yu-san ever release the Novel or full story of Shenmue?

And does anyone now how big each Chapter of Shenmue is? are they all the size of S1 or varied?

Can anyone answer my questions and help me out here?

Oh and before anyone says "its impossible for Yu-san to put in 100% of the content of all Chapters into game form"

believe me i understand that doing that would mean we would need 11 games which is impossible. But i hope we see that "cut content" in other forms like Novels or anime or something along those lines. More shenmue isnt a bad thing at all! O:)
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Postby BlueMue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:13 am

With Yu Suzuki having to reshape the chapter structure constantly it's become so amorphous that there's simply no definite answer anymore.

I'd take the missing 20% of Chapter 2 as the boat ride, wich was once Chapter 2 itself.
Going by the current construction Shenmue III is going to continue with Chapter 6 as I doubt it ends in the cave, there still has to be more travel until the first new city is reached at least.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Senpai Gamer
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am

Senpai Gamer wrote:I was reading the NG247 interview and i have a few questions relating to this specific Q&A:

"Q: Back in the day you talked about chapters – about the Shenmue story being a certain number of chapters. Has that structure changed after all this time? How far along that timeline is Shenmue going to take us?

YS: As you know, I wrote an 11-chapter story as Shenmue’s original story. This is a base of the story, obviously. If I make it, we’d need 11 games – and that’s not going to happen! Shenmue 1 was chapter 1. Shenmue 2… around 80 percent came from chapter 2. The remaining 20 percent was sliced from chapter 4, 5 and 6 – pieces of it. And in the case of chapter 3, that was actually totally removed.

You know, originally I thought… maybe with Chapter 2 and Shenmue 2 we’ll make it open world, big, and then next one is going to do a deep, deep dive into a small area – but make it very deep. That’s the concept I was thinking. Think of it as… the world through a telescope is interesting… but also a magnifying glass on a small area would be different, and fun, and most interesting.
I knew that if we made Shenmue 3, people would be mad if I didn’t make an open world [laughs]. I still have a wish where I’d like to make a very closed world game as well. My definition is not an ordinary closed world… it’d be very, very closed… but very deep."

How big were Chapters 4,5 and 6? I mean if Yu san put only pieces of them into Shenmue 2, arent we missing a lot of content?

I mean shenmue ch 1 and 2 were Huge! But then all of a sudden were only getting pieces of the remaining Chapters?

And does anyone now how big each Chapter of Shenmue is? are they all the size of S1 or varied?

Oh and before anyone says "its impossible for Yu-san to put in 100% of the content of all Chapters into game form"

believe me i understand that doing that would mean we would need 11 games which is impossible. But i hope we see that "cut content" in other forms like Novels or anime or something along those lines. More shenmue isnt a bad thing at all! O:)

What I don't understand is why we would need 11 games for 11 chapters, when Shenmue 2 already covered multiple chapters, and it seems Shenmue 3 is going to as well. That's contradictory.

TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 am

Based on other interviews Yu has said...

Chapter 1: Shenmue 1
Chapter 2: Boat to Hong Kong(not in game)
Chapter 3-6: Shenmue 2

I think with Shenmue 2 Yu had to cut a lot from each chapter to get to where he thought that game should end. He said in another interview a couple of years ago it would take 4-5 games to finish the story. So we're looking at Shenmue 5 being the last game. He would have to cut a lot to finish in Shenmue 4.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Senpai Gamer
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Senpai Gamer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:05 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Senpai Gamer wrote:I was reading the NG247 interview and i have a few questions relating to this specific Q&A:

What I don't understand is why we would need 11 games for 11 chapters, when Shenmue 2 already covered multiple chapters, and it seems Shenmue 3 is going to as well. That's contradictory.

Well i dont now about you but i would rather have each Game represent a chapter. So 11 chapters = 11 games. But that would obviously be too much and again i doubt Yu-suzuki would be around for such an ordeal. I mean 11 games would take a lifetime. So personally, i would rather see each chapter represented 100% rather than cutting corners in order to get an proper ending. I wouldn't mind Shenmue 6 or even 7 being the conclusion to the saga. I would rather experience it all if it was possible but it isn't and wont be obviously since the resources and many other things wont allow it. I just dont like the fact that corners were cut for Shenmue II. I mean if corners were going to be cut then it should have been cut from Shenmue 1 on wards. I mean every time i see Yu-san say that only this amount % wise of this chapter will be in the game really makes me sigh since i would like to experience it all. I mean its not like Harry potter or LOTR where you have books that can give you additional backstory after you have seen the movies i mean. Its just my take on this.
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Senpai Gamer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:07 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: Based on other interviews Yu has said...

Chapter 1: Shenmue 1
Chapter 2: Boat to Hong Kong(not in game)
Chapter 3-6: Shenmue 2

I think with Shenmue 2 Yu had to cut a lot from each chapter to get to where he thought that game should end. He said in another interview a couple of years ago it would take 4-5 games to finish the story. So we're looking at Shenmue 5 being the last game. He would have to cut a lot to finish in Shenmue 4.

This contradicts what Yu said in the NG247 interview. Bluemue was right, at this point no one really nows because of the amount of time that has passed. But yeah 5 shenmue games should be enough to finish the story. However, i do hope we see some of that cut content in some other form of media afterwards.
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 pm

I want him to make at the most five games. The longer this series stretches the more likely we'll never know how it ends. If he can finish it in four games and tell the story he wants to tell I would be more than happy. In a perfect world he would get five games or even six if he had enough content. But realistically I think four to five games is all we should expect.

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: Senpai Gamer, VukBZ2005
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KidMarine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:07 pm

He said in an interview a few years ago (maybe 2012/2013ish) that if it was up to him the series would take 5 games to complete.

KidMarine has received 2 thanks from: Senpai Gamer, VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:03 pm

I think at this point he's going to make four for sure. He's already talking about production of Shenmue 4 after 3 is finished. They should be able to turn a good profit from 3 because we're the ones funding the majority of it. That should lead comfortably to 4. So if the profit is good for 4 we should be golden. If Shenmue 3 is well received I see Sega pushing its way into the production. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess it would be a good thing so long as they give Yu total control.

However, if Shenmue 3 flops I just hope Yu finds some way to at least tell us the rest of the story. I don't see it coming to that though.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KidMarine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: 200 NPCs? Holy shit. Isn't that about the number of NPCs in Shenmue II's Wan Chai? I wonder if they'll all be approachable and unique a la the previous games.

Bit of a late response, but according to the Shenmue wiki, there are 263 NPCs in Wan Chai. No idea if this is complete or accurate, but there it is - http://shenmue.neoseeker.com/wiki/Categ ... f_Wan_Chai

KidMarine has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: I want him to make at the most five games. The longer this series stretches the more likely we'll never know how it ends. If he can finish it in four games and tell the story he wants to tell I would be more than happy. In a perfect world he would get five games or even six if he had enough content. But realistically I think four to five games is all we should expect.

To be honest, I don't care if I see Shenmue end or not. It's more than just the story that makes it special, it's a lot of other things. Rather than having a half-assed conclusion or one where lots of stuff is cut away from it, I would much prefer to have no conclusion at all in this case. I really hope the saga at the very least goes up to Shenmue V. You know, the ending is just a bonus. If it means that we get a rushed Shenmue game that's clumped together just to see a conclusion, then I definitely don't want it.

Shenmue_Legend has received 3 thanks from: KidMarine, Senpai Gamer, Yokosuka
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Enigma » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:39 am

Personally, I don't think we will see a forced ending to be honest. That's not me just being a fanboy or being blindly optimistic when I say that, its me basing it on what I'm seeing and hearing regarding Shenmue 3's development from its creator. The whole reason Suzuki is not completing the story at Shenmue 3 despite some people wanting it to be the final and continuously voicing this to him is because he believes it will result in a rushed/forced end to the series. I think he's well aware of ensuring that the series doesn't have a forced end and has the quality of the these final few games forefront in his mind. If he's risking another sequel to be made after Shenmue 3 for the sole purpose of not making things feel rushed, then that's enough for me to trust that it won't be. I personally don't think there's anything to worry about there.

Enigma has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III