Shenmue III Logo Poll [Back]

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Which logo do you prefer? (Total votes: 86)

Papyrus
1%
Cursive
90%
Yu's Caligraphy
9%

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll [Back]

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:56 am

While they are at it, they should remove the Papyrus logo from this picture on the main page.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:12 am

Kiske wrote: While they are at it, they should remove the Papyrus logo from this picture on the main page.

That's a great Ryo Hazuki! Though the best Ryo is the one on the current image of the Shenmue Dojo Youtube channel.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 am

I think Yu is really immagining issues where they are non. Japanese and Asian audiences will have the Hiragana or Kanji to read anyway. And as for western audiences, I have a lot of coworkers in their early 20s and there's at least one occurence per day were they have to read cursive handwriting[. Never had the slightest problem with it from day one. Every single one of them reads cursive.

As for children, at least from my experiences with nepews and nieces and so on, I can say that the children in our family who are 10 or 12 can read cursive. Yes, children below the age of 10 could have some problems reading cursive, but come on. Overall this is a non-issue in the western world. There's really nothing gained from changing the western logo.

The problem with the new logo is that it was made by an Asian person trying calligraphy with latin letters. Which is exactly what it looks like and not in a good way. Kind of like a westerner trying to do calligraphy in Kanji. Of course it would look funny if we were trying the same thing the other way around. If Yu wants a new logo that badly why not at least use a western graphics artist for the western logo? He asked his father to do the Kanji, not a western tourist he met at Meiji Shrine.

Sorry, Yu-San, but the western logo really looks like an Asian guy practicing latin calligraphy, or to put it bluntly, like a fellow poster on here did before: like a (right-handed) western person using their left hand to write.

Hyo Razuki has received 3 thanks from: gillian_seed, ShenGCH, VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:46 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: I think Yu is really immagining issues where they are non. Japanese and Asian audiences will have the Hiragana or Kanji to read anyway. And as for western audiences, I have a lot of coworkers in their early 20s and there's at least one occurence per day were they have to read cursive handwriting[. Never had the slightest problem with it from day one. Every single one of them reads cursive.

As for children, at least from my experiences with nepews and nieces and so on, I can say that the children in our family who are 10 or 12 can read cursive. Yes, children below the age of 10 could have some problems reading cursive, but come on. Overall this is a non-issue in the western world. There's really nothing gained from changing the western logo.

The problem with the new logo is that it was made by an Asian person trying calligraphy with latin letters. Which is exactly what it looks like and not in a good way. Kind of like a westerner trying to do calligraphy in Kanji. Of course it would look funny if we were trying the same thing the other way around. If Yu wants a new logo that badly why not at least use a western graphics artist for the western logo? He asked his father to do the Kanji, not a western tourist he met at Meiji Shrine.

Sorry, Yu-San, but the western logo really looks like an Asian guy practicing latin calligraphy, or to put it bluntly, like a fellow poster on here did before: like a (right-handed) western person using their left hand to write.

Exactly. I remember asking my (at the time) ten year-old niece to read the cursive text, and her response was something along the lines of "Shen-myoo-ee three," which, sans the pronunciation, is 100% correct, and just goes to show his concerns about the younger generation not being able to read cursive are quite unfounded. Besides, the majority of those who are going to be buying/playing the game in the first place are those who were fans of the previous games who grew up with the old logo, so there really is no need to change it.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby gillian_seed » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32 am

Honestly, I don't think someone not able to read cursive would be interested in this game...

gillian_seed has received a thanks from: Centrale
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 am

Please don't hate me for that, but actually... the logo and the new characters (although Ryo has been clearly improved in the latest screenshots) are growing on me. :P

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Gastarot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:41 am

Ok guys, I accept the new logo title for Shenmue 3. À little bit different but I understand Yu to don't like small balls each side.

Now we can be sure will be this :

Well done Yu, this is the best idea ! Cannot wait Shenmue 3 !

\:D/
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby BayStone » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:05 pm

I picked the cursive, but what I'd like to pick is Yu's international version, but that just looks off. It really needs an artist or a calligrapher to go over it. Or someone. Which leads me to its reflection the Japanese katakana version which personally, in game terms would absolutely be the real choice, but that's not just how the world seems to work, sadly.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:13 pm

They changed the S in such an elegant way for I&II that it took me until now to realize it was even changed...
The Shenmue III logo can surely follow this route, I quite like it.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: iyapol
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Verderame » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:06 pm

I surely hope that Yu-san will eventually change his mind about making a new logo, Sega has actually proved that you can just improve the old one's readability by just changing it a little bit. Do they really want to confuse customers with unconsinstent logos and fonts?

Oh well, PC mods are going to take care of it, otherwise.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby shredingskin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 pm

BlueMue wrote: They changed the S in such an elegant way for I&II that it took me until now to realize it was even changed...
The Shenmue III logo can surely follow this route, I quite like it.

Same here, but after I found it was changed I disliked it.

I guess I'm just a bitchy piece of shit.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm sure Yu will ignore it. SIII is totally a new game, so his decision will always remain legitimate.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby lavrentis » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Considering the original logo was created nearly 20 years ago?, it has aged extremely well. It is timeless.

A logo change to the new options would cheapen the brand and won't age well at all imo
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GamePark » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm sorry, but personally I think the handwritten logo is awful. I feel bad saying that especially since it was created by Yu-san himself, but the cursive one is so much more aesthetically pleasing. I feel that it is important to keep things consistent especially now that Shenmue I&II is using a form of the original logo. I think it's kind of bogus that they decided to change it from the papyrus one to the cursive version in June 2017 because of the fan response and then just randomly change their minds all of sudden. I hope that this will be reconsidered sometime before the final release.

GamePark has received a thanks from: darksniper
GamePark
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Chaos;Child

Postby Xandui » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:25 pm

GamePark wrote: I'm sorry, but personally I think the handwritten logo is awful. I feel bad saying that especially since it was created by Yu-san himself, but the cursive one is so much more aesthetically pleasing. I feel that it is important to keep things consistent especially now that Shenmue I&II is using a form of the original logo. I think it's kind of bogus that they decided to change it from the papyrus one to the cursive version in June 2017 because of the fan response and then just randomly change their minds all of sudden. I hope that this will be reconsidered sometime before the final release.

+1 As much as I appreciate Yu-san trying a personal approach to the new logo, now that Shenmue 1&2 will be launching under a modified (yet recognizable) version of the original logo, Shenmue 3's new logo makes even less sense. That being said, it isn't unheard of for the logo of a popular franchise to change logos with sequels. The most immediate example I could think of is the Metal Gear Solid series.

For Shenmue 3, if 1&2 weren't being rereleased before 3, the new logo felt safer since Shenmue fans will know how to find the game no matter what and new customers don't have any prior relationship to the brand. Now that the 1&2 remaster will be introducing new fans to the series through the updated old logo, having such a disconnect between 1&2 remaster's branding and Shenmue 3's branding is just plain confusing.

My hope here is that a combination of fans continuing to complain about the misalignment between logos + Deep Silver being a professional publisher that will help Ys Net class up it's marketing act will get us the alignment we're looking for across games.

Also I have to say while I'll never forgive Sega for ignoring us for all these years, I really love how they updated the old logo and handled the box art for 1&2. So many people in this forum have suggested the exact approach they took to make the logo legible without requiring a complete departure from the original. It almost made me wish Sega was publishing Shenmue 3 because clearly some part of them still understands this brand.

Xandui has received a thanks from: GamePark
Xandui
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III