S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

Postby Technophilz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:43 am

What's shown in the very short (less than a minute) video is even below last gen standards, many many last gen titles (e.g. The Last of US and L.A. Noire) are light years ahead of this, no wonder they preferred to show lifeless faces in the Gamescom teaser. Oh, and I think the new (much worse) logo is here to stay for good so we'll have to live with it ...

"How did you guys like it?" he asks in the end of the video ... it's really painful to say I didn't like it at all, and with every new "progress" update my expectations for S3 keep sinking down ...

if any of the kiddos working on S3 project is here: I hope you watch this and learn how modern games are being made...

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Technophilz on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby shredingskin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 am

Nothing incredibly good, neither really bad, I guess they used an old lady to show more of the blendshapes that can be quite tricky because of the pronounced cheeks, and they're trying pretty "extreme" versions.

They don't really need expensive mocap to do a good job though
phpBB [video]

This is probably automated blendshapes from text/speech, in cutscenes they'll probably animate them separatedly.

It looks ok, not really AAA standard, but good enough.

EDIT: TBH I prefer the second character, but man, it kinda clash quite a bit with the others characters we've seen, weird that they juxtaposed those just like that.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Nahovil
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby KidMarine » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:09 am

Technophilz wrote:it's really painful to say I didn't like it at all

Oh there's a fucking surprise. Also a WIP of one of 400 NPCs isn't as good as the main characters of a Naughty Dog game? No shit.

KidMarine has received 4 thanks from: Esppiral, SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Technophilz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 am

This Shenmue III Facial Animation Video Will Not Alleviate Concerns

The team making Shenmue III seem pretty naïve to us. So, you may recall the title’s first trailer releasing recently, and the ribbing that ensued regarding its non-existent facial animations. Well, now Ys Net has clumsily deployed a video showing it faffing about with an old lady’s face. This is basically the studio proving that it does have the tech to animate faces, but as it fiddles around with the grandma’s jowls like the intro scene from Super Mario 64, it just looks weird. “Her face is scary,” the voice over notes.

Look, we appreciate the intent here, and it’s cool that Shenmue III is moving forward. But we think that the developer needs to be careful about what it shows, because these kind of videos are doing more harm than good in our opinion. Of course, it’s in a sticky spot because Kickstarter backers will be demanding regular development updates, but maybe it’d be best keeping its head down and reserving reveals for when it’s got something meaningful to show.

Source : pushsquare.com
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby alexironaek » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 am

I like it. It's much better than the facial animations in "life is strange" that i am currently playing!

phpBB [video]

But hey...its shenmue 3.....so lets whine about it all over the internet even when games with bigger budget have worse animations....

alexironaek has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
alexironaek

Postby shredingskin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 am

It's a progress update, should be for fucking fans, and take into account that it's mostly showing the range of "emotions" they are working, the model is even in a t pose making it even more surreal.

I would say that the gamescom trailer was a weird marketing move, but this is a backer update to show PROGRESS, people fucking on this are just being assholes.

It looks a little dated, ok, but bad ? For what it's pretty much an indie game with tons of characters ? Really ?

Now YS should keep the fans without updates because some people are going to be shitty ??

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 am

I appreciate them showing something. We are still a LONG way off from final release, folks. I don't know why people perpetually have their pitchforks out. Clickbaity articles from Pushsquare do not help. They don't look at the bigger time frame, just immediately nitpick.

It didn't matter to them that the models were still motionless, unanimated. It didn't matter that this video was simply proof they have it and will be beginning soon(we still have 12-18 months, guys). It was "Welp, garbage. 5 out of 10s confirmed, jank confirmed."

In regards to Technophilz, I respect his opinion, the worry is understandable, but I must disagree with the comparison.

The comparison CAN be made, but it doesn't hold potency. You cannot compare an indie developer to someone like Naughty Dog.

Naughty Dog is a veteran company for a singular platform with technology and budget far, FAR in excess of what Shenmue III has, regardless of Deep Silver's involvement. They have their own revenue stream, plus being owned by Sony themselves.

This holds true for many, MANY developers. Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog are pioneers in that field of facial animation and motion capture, unmatched by probably any other developer in the world. It is unrealistic to expect ANYTHING of that calibur, I'm afraid.

Valascaziel has received 2 thanks from: Technophilz, Your Boy Leroy
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Niowiad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:50 am

Given the vastity of the project I still feel as they're doing good and they need all the support.
The feedback is usually bad, even the new update video already got many dislikes and it sure can be demotivating for developers working with far from ideal budget, on a new game of a blockbuster serie.
Again, we all new it was not going to be AAA production. The sooner people (especially non-fans) accepts that, the better.

Niowiad has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Niowiad

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:01 am

shredingskin wrote: It's a progress update, should be for fucking fans, and take into account that it's mostly showing the range of "emotions" they are working, the model is even in a t pose making it even more surreal.

I would say that the gamescom trailer was a weird marketing move, but this is a backer update to show PROGRESS, people fucking on this are just being assholes.

It looks a little dated, ok, but bad ? For what it's pretty much an indie game with tons of characters ? Really ?

Now YS should keep the fans without updates because some people are going to be shitty ??

Tbh, the models are truly shocking at first sight and would easily make fun meme-generators. I needed to watch the video several times to fairly assimilate the YSnet's work.
Shenmue Dojo is quite an understanding audience but I think many outside fans are afraid of what they're seeing in the last few months.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Switch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 am

BlackHeaven wrote: Anyone interested in what the subtitles say in 0:11 ?? I am curious :D

Here you go!

Full set & blog article here:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... tions.html

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 am

I would agree if this was a trailer showed at a big event, or a re/reveal trailer or something.

It's a testing video for a kickstarter game showing fans progress, you have to be pretty willing to shit on anything just for the sake of it, it's not a matter of misscomunication.

Even being hyperbolic like talking if the animations are the worse that have ever been, give me a break, they're fine.

I know half of the internet is trolling, and gamers like to shit on games, but it's not a YS problem, if anything they should be applauded to give us actual real development footage and letting us know they are aware of the comments.

I still don't like the character design, but I'll live with it (really, for me just put the shenhua dress in the last girl and I'll take it above the "actual" shenhua), and I guess some people might like it.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am

I read the NeoGAF thread before seeing the video and was prepared to react like Technophilz, but I'm not seeing the issue. It's not amazing, but it's not a disaster. It's a tech demo. What's the big deal?

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:39 am

^ Thank you.
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: God of War

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:40 am

With a year and a half to go I’m satisfied with this. It’s not ground breaking but if they can improve on it a little it’ll be great.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:43 am

Looking at the video again it looks like the only time we get something similar to ingame is from 10 to 13 seconds, the other conversations are just showing the blendshapes, and the other part is changing the blendshapes while talking (that's why it looks wonky).

Really, just imagine those 3 seconds with body animation and it looks quite on par with most games today.

Also it'll probably have eye direction (and hopefully like the first shenmue body/head look).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III