Shenmue 3's overall reception

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3's metacritic (Total votes: 31)

100 absolute masterpiece
6%
90+
13%
80+
19%
70+
32%
60+
16%
50+
6%
Below 50
6%

Re: Shenmue 3's overall reception

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:56 am

Thief wrote: Corruption is absolutely everywhere. People like to use “conspiracy theorist” as a derogatory but anyone who genuinely doesn’t believe conspiracy exists is an idiot.

That said, shenmue 3 will probably be in the 70-80 range. The public has never liked shenmue. I don’t expect that to change.

conspiracies are utter bullshit. if they existed on such a grand scale they would always be uncovered. I mean take your 10 best friends. do they agree with you and each other about all the important things in life? of course not. humanity itself has no clue what they are doing. so many mistakes are being made but conspiracy people are some sort of superhumans, with organisational skills beyond belief en some sort of loyalty to each other going over multiple generations, only idiots believe in conspiracies. they could never work because for it to work you need perfection, which humanity can never achieve, not even on a small scale.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:58 am

KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote: In the 70s. Same as every game that doesn't have a $100 million ad campaign behind it/the reviewer isn't personal friends with the developers. Take some points off for being Japanese too.

Oh please. To deny that the gaming media isn't massively corrupt and in bed with certain publishers is wilful ignorance.

I would love for you to bring up any evidence you have, but I'm sure you don't have any. enjoy your tinfoil hat.

Off the top of my head:

Polygon accepts $750,000 from Microsoft before they even launch: http://rebrn.com/re/polygon-accepted-from-microsoft-to-create-a-promotional-document-367703/

Polygon writer gives positive coverage to developer he is not only friends with, but supports financially via Patreon: https://archive.is/kLRaf

Kotaku claim that anyone who complains about Call of Duty is "stupid", "idiots", "obnoxious elitists" and "assholes" whilst also running an extensive Call of Duty ad campaign on their site - https://archive.is/KntqD

Kotaku and Polygon both extensively defended Diablo III's always online DRM, going as far as to attack anyone who criticised it as "ignorant" whilst also running extensive ads for the game - https://imgur.com/Rka05H1

Journalist is flown to resort by Activision, later whilst other reviewers marked the latest Call of Duty down for poor AI, linear gameplay, and uneven pacing, he praised it as the “ultimate refinement of the franchise formula” and “the best Call of Duty ever.”

Ubisoft hands out free $200 Tablets to reviewers at Watch_Dogs event. Coincidentally it's critical score is almost double the user score on Metacritic - https://wolfsgamingblog.com/2014/04/15/ubisoft-handed-out-free-nexus-7-tablets-to-watch-dogs-preview-event-attendees/

Oh and remember when review copies of Dante's Inferno came with $200 in cash? There's something to be said for bluntness - https://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/ea-marketers-send-joystiq-a-200-check-and-we-save-their-souls/

And let's not even get into the big ones like the Driv3r debacle. Or the Kane & Lynch controversy. Or DoritoGate.

The idea that games journalism isn't massively corrupt and incompetent is just insanity. All journalism is rotten, I've worked in 2 different fields of journalism, but games journalism is the worst of the worst. I cannot fathom why anyone would ever defend it (unless they're a games journalist).

that proves nothing. all is hearsay and no proper sources other than blogs and pictures without sources or whatever.

I can give you far more evidence the other way though. explain to me how last years call of duty got trashed by reviews? they didn't pay enough? haha. or what about a game like Limbo, or countless other indie games without any budget even winning goty awards.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Thief » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 am

drunkensailor wrote:
Thief wrote: Corruption is absolutely everywhere. People like to use “conspiracy theorist” as a derogatory but anyone who genuinely doesn’t believe conspiracy exists is an idiot.

That said, shenmue 3 will probably be in the 70-80 range. The public has never liked shenmue. I don’t expect that to change.

conspiracies are utter bullshit. if they existed on such a grand scale they would always be uncovered. I mean take your 10 best friends. do they agree with you and each other about all the important things in life? of course not. humanity itself has no clue what they are doing. so many mistakes are being made but conspiracy people are some sort of superhumans, with organisational skills beyond belief en some sort of loyalty to each other going over multiple generations, only idiots believe in conspiracies. they could never work because for it to work you need perfection, which humanity can never achieve, not even on a small scale.

Ummm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... nspiracies

I don't know what you're on about. I mean, doesn't the fact that conspiracies have been uncovered prove that they exist?
Last edited by Thief on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thief has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 am

drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote: In the 70s. Same as every game that doesn't have a $100 million ad campaign behind it/the reviewer isn't personal friends with the developers. Take some points off for being Japanese too.

Oh please. To deny that the gaming media isn't massively corrupt and in bed with certain publishers is wilful ignorance.

I would love for you to bring up any evidence you have, but I'm sure you don't have any. enjoy your tinfoil hat.

Off the top of my head:

Polygon accepts $750,000 from Microsoft before they even launch: http://rebrn.com/re/polygon-accepted-from-microsoft-to-create-a-promotional-document-367703/

Polygon writer gives positive coverage to developer he is not only friends with, but supports financially via Patreon: https://archive.is/kLRaf

Kotaku claim that anyone who complains about Call of Duty is "stupid", "idiots", "obnoxious elitists" and "assholes" whilst also running an extensive Call of Duty ad campaign on their site - https://archive.is/KntqD

Kotaku and Polygon both extensively defended Diablo III's always online DRM, going as far as to attack anyone who criticised it as "ignorant" whilst also running extensive ads for the game - https://imgur.com/Rka05H1

Journalist is flown to resort by Activision, later whilst other reviewers marked the latest Call of Duty down for poor AI, linear gameplay, and uneven pacing, he praised it as the “ultimate refinement of the franchise formula” and “the best Call of Duty ever.”

Ubisoft hands out free $200 Tablets to reviewers at Watch_Dogs event. Coincidentally it's critical score is almost double the user score on Metacritic - https://wolfsgamingblog.com/2014/04/15/ubisoft-handed-out-free-nexus-7-tablets-to-watch-dogs-preview-event-attendees/

Oh and remember when review copies of Dante's Inferno came with $200 in cash? There's something to be said for bluntness - https://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/ea-marketers-send-joystiq-a-200-check-and-we-save-their-souls/

And let's not even get into the big ones like the Driv3r debacle. Or the Kane & Lynch controversy. Or DoritoGate.

The idea that games journalism isn't massively corrupt and incompetent is just insanity. All journalism is rotten, I've worked in 2 different fields of journalism, but games journalism is the worst of the worst. I cannot fathom why anyone would ever defend it (unless they're a games journalist).

that proves nothing. all is hearsay and no proper sources other than blogs and pictures without sources or whatever.

I can give you far more evidence the other way though. explain to me how last years call of duty got trashed by reviews? they didn't pay enough? haha. or what about a game like Limbo, or countless other indie games without any budget even winning goty awards.

Last years Call Of Duty? You mean Infinite Warfare? If so, then that hardly got "trashed by reviews". Ign gave it a 7, Gamespot gave it an 8 and Trusted Reviews gave it another 7. This further proves that corruption is present in the Gaming industry so that was a bad example. Also, how can you make a game "without any budget"? That's ridiculous because money is always needed. Seriously, at this point you just come across as a troll.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby KidMarine » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 am

drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

Off the top of my head:

Like I said, wilful ignorance.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Abraham_1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote: Also, how can you make a game "without any budget"? That's ridiculous because money is always needed.

:rotflmao:

He didn't literally mean no budget; he meant games with little budget relative to most games. Budget in that context clearly meant a substantial budget.

Agreed KidMarine, there have certainly been cases of corruption in gaming journalism, but I do believe it's over exaggerated at times. Not to mention, if anything, games get marked up in their reviews as a result of corruption, not marked down. This whole argument started because it was believed that Shenmue would not receive great ratings without a large budget or corruption:

This is simply not true and there are many games to prove that.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:17 pm

If a game people don't like get's above a 9 then the website is shit and obviously has been paid off.

If it's a game the person likes and it get's below a 9 then then reviewer only like's shit games.

Call of Duty get's amazing reviews every year because 99% of the people who play it love those games and consider it one of the best first person shooters out there. It wouldn't be the best selling game year on year if people didn't love it. I'm not a Call of Duty fan but I can understand it's more loved then most of the games I like, talk to your average person who doesn't post about games online and I bet they'd say they love it. At my old work most of the people who worked there would go home each night and play Call of Duty for a few hours because they fucking loved it, guess Activision payed them off...

I love that people seriously think that every single year Activision must pay around 100 websites thousands of dollars each year just to change their review score.

To do this you would need to make sure your offer is so good that they don't turn it down, the offer has to be so good that they take it and keep quiet about it. You're talking thousands for each person. Let's say they offer each person $2,000. They then need to offer this to about 100 reviewers. That means every year for one game Activision has an outgoing of about $200,000. If they did this for every game they release that would creep into the millions. They're also a publicly listed company so that much money disappearing is going to lead to questions which they would have to answer with proof of where that money's going.

Guess that's much more believable then maybe people like things I don't like and that's ok.

I'm sure the odd bit of money has been slid across the table over a dinner but if corruption was as common as people think we would know about it because someone would sell the story and get rich. I work for one of the biggest insurance companies in the UK so we're always accused of being corrupt since insurance companies are an easy target. If even 1% of what people claimed we did was true the company would be shut down within a week but guess what it's not true, any of it. If it was I'd call the press right now and negotiate how much they're willing to pay me for bringing down the insurance industry and have an early retirement.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shmoozip » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:52 pm

70 is realistic. 80 is possible
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby Jesse » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:25 am

I have always expected the review score to be in the 70's range. With the possiblity of some giving a 8 but that's the highest I'll go. The lowest I believe some sites will give it is 6.

Jesse has received a thanks from: shmoozip
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby shmoozip » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Jesse wrote: I have always expected the review score to be in the 70's range. With the possiblity of some giving a 8 but that's the highest I'll go. The lowest I believe some sites will give it is 6.

some people just live to hate
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby SickOctopus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 pm

shmoozip wrote:
Jesse wrote: I have always expected the review score to be in the 70's range. With the possiblity of some giving a 8 but that's the highest I'll go. The lowest I believe some sites will give it is 6.

Or they simply have differing tastes to our own.
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Postby shmoozip » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:46 pm

SickOctopus wrote:
shmoozip wrote:

unfortunately that seemse not to be the case. huge websites are in corporations with other companies. an honest opinion is not there. and then there is the haters.

people with other opinions who didnt play the game.

come on man dont be that u know whats up. weve been dealing with those animals all the time they are waiting to bash the game. the game isnt even out and they bash every single aspect of it. im not even a shenmue fan and i can see this. i like shenmue but i aint no fan of it.

im a Streets of rage fan
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby SickOctopus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:58 pm

shmoozip wrote:
SickOctopus wrote:
shmoozip wrote:

unfortunately that seemse not to be the case. huge websites are in corporations with other companies. an honest opinion is not there. and then there is the haters.

people with other opinions who didnt play the game.

come on man dont be that u know whats up. weve been dealing with those animals all the time they are waiting to bash the game. the game isnt even out and they bash every single aspect of it. im not even a shenmue fan and i can see this. i like shenmue but i aint no fan of it.

im a Streets of rage fan

I don't doubt that some websites may operate dubiously, occasionally giving inflated review scores in exchange for a bribe here or there.

That said, however, the idea that there are people out there with some militant vendetta against Shenmue, sitting at their computers, waiting for any opportunity to bash the series, sounds nothing short of paranoid, to put it nicely.

It's not my intention to offend, and I certainly hope this doesn't escalate into an argument. It's just that I see this view of some kind of industry-wide conspiracy to make Shenmue fail is quite prevalent on these boards, and I just think it makes us look, to anyone visiting the forums, a bit daft, if I'm honest. To label those who dislike the game or dare to criticise it in any way, a "hater", is just childish and serves only to portray us as fanboys of the very worst kind. I, for example, dislike Call of Duty, but I have no particular desire to see the franchise fail. I am indifferent, as would be, almost anyone who isn't a fan of a particular series.

Regarding the critical articles of the game's progress, I agree completely that much of the journalism has been shoddy, ignorant and generally unprofessional. However, I am sorry, but this negativity hasn't entirely come from thin air, as the Kickstarter campaign has largely been a joke, and has only, in recent months, begun to look, in any way, professional. While most of this can be pinned on Awesome Japan for their general buffoonery, YSnet have to take their share of the blame, due to poor communication, flip-flopping between logo designs, etc. So yeah, poor journalism, for sure, but hardly a smear campaign.

Once again, I don't mean to come across as argumentative, just wanted to put my point across.
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Postby south carmain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 pm

I really doubt gaming websites are taking "bribes". Although there is no denying that there is some pressure on them through the risk of companies withdrawing their advertising, causing loss of revenue, or refusing to send them review copies in advance, putting them at a disadvantage. None of this is really relevant when it will come to reviewing shenmue 3 though but Some reviewers might be biased due to it being a kickstarter game surrounded by controversy.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: gillian_seed, VukBZ2005
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Previous

Return to Shenmue III