Postby shmoozip » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 pm

We will see.
I am very optimistic
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Re: Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:48 pm

Valascaziel wrote: This is great news. Their resume shows an extensive line of visually pleasing titles(Bloodborne, etc.)

It's important to know what their contributions to these projects were, though.
From a glance at the mobygames pages, it seems they only did background props for MGSV. Other games like Bloodborne and Nier did not specify what their involvement is.

I'm sure they are talented individuals, but my concern is that their style with 3D characters might clash with what Ys.net had in mind, and we end up with a stylistically uneven game.

But if they did the model in this update, then there are no worries. It's the best model so far.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Valascaziel wrote: This is great news. Their resume shows an extensive line of visually pleasing titles(Bloodborne, etc.)

From a glance at the mobygames pages, it seems they only did background props for MGSV. Other games like Bloodborne and Nier did not specify what their involvement is.

I'm sure they are talented individuals, but my concern is that their style with 3D characters might clash with what Ys.net had in mind, and we end up with a stylistically uneven game.

But if they did the model in this update, then there are no worries. It's the best model so far.

Remember though, Yu Suzuki is in charge of everything. If he sees something that he's not happy with, then he'll make sure it doesn't make its way into Shenmue III. So yeah, don't worry!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Switch » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:Also, from my crappy phone screen the temple looks like it says 堂札社千

Tangzha Community Temple? Thousand Tangzha Building? I dunno. Haha.

That actually should be read right to left: 千社札堂 (Qian she zha tang).
EDIT: OK, now that I've seen that higher-res pic (thanks!), I changed my mind and now think that is a 札, after all, like ShenmueTree said.
So, Scroll Hall of a Thousand Sacrifices.*

*I'm sure there's a more elegant way to translate it. English isn't my mother tongue.

Just to add to this, this word actually also exists in Japanese (as you mentioned it refers to the tags - for wont of a better word - with the names of worshippers that are put up in temples). So a more functional translation could simply be "Hall of Name Tags".
Of special interest is that getting your own name tag is part of the $800 reward tier. So if you have backed at that level you should be able to enter this building and find your own tag!

Here's a link to my commentary post on this update at the Phantom River Stone blog:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/1 ... gital.html
Last edited by Switch on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mr.Jigen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:43 pm

I am very pleased with this.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:

I think it's the other way around. YS is looking for other options out there because they can't produce high quality models in house that fits his vision and overall world building detail.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Switch wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:Also, from my crappy phone screen the temple looks like it says 堂札社千

EDIT: OK, now that I've seen that higher-res pic (thanks!), I changed my mind and now think that is a 札, after all, like ShenmueTree said.

*I'm sure there's a more elegant way to translate it. English isn't my mother tongue.

Just to add to this, this word actually also exists in Japanese (as you mentioned it refers to the tags - for wont of a better word - with the names of worshippers that are put up in temples). So a more functional translation could simply be "Hall of Name Tags".
Of special interest is that getting your own name tag is part of the $800 reward tier. So if you have backed at that level you should be able to enter this building and find your own tag!

Here's a link to my commentary post on this update at the Phantom River Stone blog:

Very interesting. It all makes sense now. Thanks!

As a matter of fact, there isn't such a word in Chinese, hence why I was trying to wrap my head around the meaning. I just figured "hey, temple names normally don't use modern vernacular Chinese, rather they have poetic names", so
I was trying to make sense as best as I could, by interpreting each character. I did find it a bit odd, though.
It all makes sense now, as the three characters 千社札 form a single Japanese word and I was reading the temple sign as Chinese (not that I know Japanese, anyway). Suddenly, everything becomes much more simple!
And, yeah, for sure that will be the place where some of the backers will find their names. Good one, dude!

This does make me think, though... Not only does that temple, which does have Chinese architecture, have Japanese writing (albeit in kanji), and seems to be dedicated to a Japanese custom, but that girl does indeed seem to be dressed as a Shinto shrine assistant...
I mentioned here in the forums before how Shenmue 2's street and shop signs would use some Japanese kanji variants not used in China, and that I hoped that Yu Suzuki would be more meticulous in that regard, in Shenmue 3. Now, we're already seeing a temple with Japanese words, Chinese architecture and a Shinto assistant... This isn't encouraging, but best to wait until we see more. Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe there will be a good explanation for this.

O Rei do Frango Assado has received a thanks from: Switch
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:56 pm

^^ Could be that indeed. Honestly, if the gameplay and mechanics are done well, I don't care about graphics. We are in the age of where there are some games that has the best graphics and mediocre gameplay.Or its all about graphics but bad story and gameplay. In that case Yu-san should of asked Sega to buy studio time and use the Dragon engine Yakuza uses, yes I know this is dreaming of course. Yakuza engine would be ideal for me or even VF5.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Switch » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:As a matter of fact, there isn't such a word in Chinese, hence why I was trying to wrap my head around the meaning.

Ah, that's interesting. I assumed the writing (and the costume, customs) would exist in Chinese.

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:I mentioned here in the forums before how Shenmue 2's street and shop signs would use some Japanese kanji variants not used in China, and that I hoped that Yu Suzuki would be more meticulous in that regard, in Shenmue 3. Now, we're already seeing a temple with Japanese words, Chinese architecture and a Shinto assistant... This isn't encouraging, but best to wait until we see more. Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe there will be a good explanation for this.

Hm, yes while it's hard to draw a conclusion with the in-progress material, I also hope that Chinese customs, signage and so on is represented as authentically as possible.

Switch has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Sappharad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 pm

First of all, I think the screenshot looks great. Their choice of outsourcing to Lakshya is fine with me.
O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:This does make me think, though... Not only does that temple, which does have Chinese architecture, have Japanese writing (albeit in kanji), and seems to be dedicated to a Japanese custom, but that girl does indeed seem to be dressed as a Shinto shrine assistant...
I mentioned here in the forums before how Shenmue 2's street and shop signs would use some Japanese kanji variants not used in China, and that I hoped that Yu Suzuki would be more meticulous in that regard, in Shenmue 3. Now, we're already seeing a temple with Japanese words, Chinese architecture and a Shinto assistant... This isn't encouraging, but best to wait until we see more. Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe there will be a good explanation for this.

Is it possible the Japanese is for localization purposes, similar to why some signs also had English on them in Shenmue 1 & 2? At least, that seems reasonable to me. Perhaps it would be something they could change with an actual Chinese localization if they do more than just translate subtitles?

I wouldn't be surprised if the temple person was Japanese too. I mean, Izumi was also Japanese so why not add more random Japanese people in there?
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SlySpy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:25 am

I dig the character design; looks well enough like a modern Shenmue npc. Only thing is that the outfit looks a bit japanese, from the top at least. However, there's always the possibility that it could be intended; we already know there will be foreigners in the game, in the form of the Chiyoumen, so it's not out of the question that this may be a potentially important character who is originally from Japan. The environment, as always, is on point.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 am

It still says the game will come out this month on the slacker backer.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:52 am

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:It still says the game will come out this month on the slacker backer.

That's more a fault with AJ. Deep Silver seemed to be handling this update and they may handle many of them going forward.

They stated the Dev Room update is still being worked on, so maybe we will get something good out of that to close out 2017.

I would like for them to go ahead and activate the upgradable tiers. It would help for garnering a little more cash before the Slacker Backer ends.

We still have a lot of time left...a little over 6 months to E3 and a LOT can change over the course of that amount of development.

Another announcement we are waiting on is a publisher for Japan. To my knowledge, they haven't found one yet and that could be a source of income as well, depending on who it is.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 am

Switch wrote:

This makes a lot more sense Thanks.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 am

Sappharad wrote: First of all, I think the screenshot looks great. Their choice of outsourcing to Lakshya is fine with me.
O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:This does make me think, though... Not only does that temple, which does have Chinese architecture, have Japanese writing (albeit in kanji), and seems to be dedicated to a Japanese custom, but that girl does indeed seem to be dressed as a Shinto shrine assistant...

Is it possible the Japanese is for localization purposes, similar to why some signs also had English on them in Shenmue 1 & 2? At least, that seems reasonable to me. Perhaps it would be something they could change with an actual Chinese localization if they do more than just translate subtitles?

I wouldn't be surprised if the temple person was Japanese too. I mean, Izumi was also Japanese so why not add more random Japanese people in there?

I was just thinking, she could indeed be Japanese. Not only that, but what if that's actually a Shinto shrine? It doesn't look like one, but many mosques in China, for instance, have Chinese traditional architecture and don't really stand out from any other traditional-style constructions, until you go inside and see all the Islamic art, Arabic writing and prayer halls.
The thing is, there has been a sizeable Islamic community in China for hundreds of years (most notably, the Hui and, more recently, the Uyghurs), but I've never heard of Japanese people in China (that do exist, obviously) feeling the need for Shinto shrines. Shintoism is uniquely Japanese and doesn't really exist anywhere else, as far as I know, so the only people who would feel the need for a Shinto shrine would be the Japanese.
Now, I've travelled a lot around China, from the biggest cities to the most remote places and never have I've seen a Shinto shrine there. I just did a quick (definitely not thorough) Baidu search and, apparently, the only Shinto shrines built in China were built during the Japanese occupation, during the Second World War. Pretty much all of them (or even all of them) have been demolished or converted into something else. It goes without saying that such shrines didn't exactly bring happy memories to the Chinese.The area around Guilin was indeed occupied by the Japanese, but I don't really see a fully-functioning, happy-feeling Shinto shrine existing there in 1987.
So, when all's said and done, I doubt that's a Shinto shrine, but who knows? It's a videogame, liberties are always taken.

As for that sign being done for localization purposes, that's always a possibility, but I think it's unlikely. I mean, Shenmue 1 and 2 did have some English signage, because there is English signage in Japan, what with English being today's "international language", plus, it gives out an exotic, hip feel to things (for the Japanese). Still, most things in the game are written in Japanese, just like real Japanese streets. As for Hong Kong in Shenmue 2, the presence of English writing is only natural, what with it being a British colony.
Again, I just feel that they are being careless, unfortunately. I mean, there really was no reason for them to use Japanese kanji variants in Hong Kong street signs, yet they were there.
I've said this before, in a game famous for its attention to detail, this kind of stuff becomes immersion-breaking, not to mention that it's very odd that they got careless in such a visible aspect of the game, when, for instance, they actually went to the trouble of getting real-world weather data for Yokosuka, among other things.
Anyway, let's wait and see. It's too early to jump into conclusions regarding Shenmue 3.

Changing the subject, that temple's setting kinda reminds me of Black Dragon Pool (黑龙潭) in Yunnan Province's Lijiang, in southwest China:
O Rei do Frango Assado

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III