Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:39 am

Hello Everyone,

Today we unveil a new character and introduce the production team who is giving us a hand with character production, Lakshya Digital.

New Character!!

We gave a first look of this character earlier. You'll have to wait and see how she fits in with the temple in the background.

Introducing Lakshya Digital

Shenmue III will have a host of new, compelling characters from all walks of life.

And while we can't say just how many, it will be a lot! The game art studio Lakshya Digital will be cooperating with us to bring these great characters to life. Lakshya Digital is based in Gurgaon (one of India's financial and technology hubs) and has studios in Pune and Seattle, where production work for the game is underway.

That is some serious focus! That is some serious focus!

Strategy meeting in progress. They are in online meetings with our art team in Tokyo every week.

India may be hot, but Lakshya Digital brings the fire! Meet the team stoking character production. India may be hot, but Lakshya Digital brings the fire! Meet the team stoking character production.

The next dev room report is still in the works, so please look forward to it! Thank you all for your continued support.

https://shenmue.link/post_en/813/?en

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2070199

ShenGCH has received 4 thanks from: Kiske, Sonoshee, sutoji, VukBZ2005
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

Postby sutoji » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 am

So they got a new team in India working on character production, nice.

That model looks good, looks kind of Virtua Fighter inspired
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 am

New character is cute!

But already seen some bad mouthing on the KS page about outsourcing to India. As long as they get the character models on point, who cares?

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, VukBZ2005
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:20 am

Sonoshee wrote: New character is cute!

But already seen some bad mouthing on the KS page about outsourcing to India. As long as they get the character models on point, who cares?

The comment section on the Kickstarter page is a cesspool of fanboys, manchildren, and people with questionable mental states, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Does anyone else think the model looks kinda like Nozomi?

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 am

Nice new character! It seems that this team have worked in big projects as Uncharted 2 and Just cause 3 among others, good news!

Hazuki00 has received 3 thanks from: Elevensixty, Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:34 am

GORGEOUS! Simply astounding and beautiful. And look at the temples and the environments. Just breathtaking! You know, the more I see of Shenmue III the more confident I get that it is going to be the greatest game ever made. Now, if only they can perfect Ryo's character model. I mean, it's not even hard. This is obviously the best character model of Ryo ever so why not just copy this? Image I'm hopeful this is the direction they're going to take.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby sutoji » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 am

https://www.resetera.com/threads/shenmu ... 919/unread

And people just can't help but start bashing the game again. Ignorants that don't understand it's not supposed to be some technically groundbreaking work.

sutoji has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 am

Quite possibly the best update we could get, an expert team focused on character creation, and low cost too.

More and more Shenmue 3 is shaping up to be a "properly" developed game, instead of being limited because its funded mainly by KS.

Shenhua-Nani? has received 4 thanks from: Abraham_1, Elevensixty, Nahovil, VukBZ2005
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sutoji » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:57 am

Apparently Ryo is hiding in the background of the picture with the new model, don't know if that is true can anyone spot him?

EDIT: He's at the back to the right behind the building doing what looks like Martial arts training. Someone should like draw a circle round him, I'm not on PC
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 am

sutoji wrote: Apparently Ryo is hiding in the background of the picture with the new model, don't know if that is true can anyone spot him?

EDIT: He's at the back to the right behind the building doing what looks like Martial arts training. Someone should like draw a circle round him, I'm not on PC

Wow, you got great eyes! I mean, I still can't find him so good job!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby sutoji » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:16 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
sutoji wrote: Apparently Ryo is hiding in the background of the picture with the new model, don't know if that is true can anyone spot him?

Zoom in to the right, behind the building Ryo is doing a punch. It looks really tiny you can tell by the brown jacket.
right next to the blue wall
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:25 am

sutoji wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:

Zoom in to the right, behind the building Ryo is doing a punch. It looks really tiny you can tell by the brown jacket.
right next to the blue wall

Thanks a lot! I see him now.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby SheepheadCG » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 am

Great update in my eyes! New character looks amazing, and very fitting for the Shenmue world.

After looking up the company Lakshya Digital, it is clear that they are very good at what they do, as they have works on some great AAA games (Uncharted 2, WWE, Just Cause). They clearly know what they are doing and this first character looks perfect. If they can take the brunt of the work load for the NPCs, and allow Yu to focus his time elsewhere, then it is a win win situation!

As they say in the update, I am very eager to see how this looks in motion/in game.

I was also looking at the dates updates running up to Xmas for the last 2 years, to see what we can roughly expect this year. By going off the last 2 years, we should probably get another Update on Xmas Eve, and maybe one around the New Year (we got one last year (2016), but not for 2015).

Super excited to see the next Dev Update!

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, VukBZ2005
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Abraham_1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 am

How do people know that Lakshya have worked on the AAA titles you've mentioned (like Uncharted), in the past? I can only find CS:GO, Elder Scrolls Online, DC Online and Lara Croft Guardians of the Light on their website. You'd think if they'd worked on such larger projects, they would mention or showcase them on their website or something.

Edit: Nevermind, I've found some info on their Facebook page. This is very good news, although we should bear in mind, they work on the art for the game, not the actual character models, which is what we need.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby sutoji » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:49 am

Look at it this way, as character modeling has been outsourced to an experienced studio in India this paves the way for Suzuki and the Japan team to actually focus on other important aspects of the game. I have faith in this team especially seeing how they all communicate together on their work which shows good teamwork and trust into both teams. With only a year left unless we see a delay serious amount of work can be done with this time period. Many NPCs can be modeled and the most important ones Ryo and Shenhua can be completed with a showing near the games release. All gameplay elements might already be fantastic as Cedric has played a build of the game and reported on it. This is a win win situation, Deep Silver would help promote it and you got everything set up with all these studios helping out, it is amazing how YsNet have got more and more support as the game went on.

Probably most of the people talking crap about the models don't know a thing about Shenmue so you'd have to excuse them. They would just give an input that is laughable because the whole idea of the game being made under what is nowhere near the scale of the original games doesn't get into their heads, either that or they are delusional haters that for some reason want to see Shenmue fail and I've seen this by gaming journalists, they are already seeing negative and the game is nowhere near complete. That's people for you.

Yu Suzuki is working his damn hardest, I don't have any doubts with that legend and so is the team, Shenmue means a lot to him and his ideas for 3 are all inside his head, all he has to do is apply them, create and we get a good continuation of this series. Let the naysayers say what they want but this game is long overdue. Outsourcing is the best thing you could do as it allows more focus onto other elements seeing how this studio is helping with character production and to top it off that model looks completely fine. Not bad at all so the negative reception is just flatout inexcusable.

Anyone saying negative stuff towards this should seriously back off. They are working hard and the game is not supposed to be so technically impressive like other games. It is Shenmue 3, saying "these models look like plastic" or whatever just shows your ignorance to understand what the game even is and you are just hating. The game is definitely being improved and there is no proper gameplay shown yet which doesn't even matter. You have to realise that Shenmue 3 even existing is work of a miracle because this game finally came to fruition I won't let hating little delinquents ruin and bash all over this sequel that loads of us have been waiting for years.

People will judge without thinking about the situation the team is in. If it looks bad then fine that's your perception but what they can do is still impressive in the end of the day as they put all of this together using UE4. It's not supposed to look very impressive anyway even considering this isn't the final model or anything. With whatever I see it doesn't put me off or anything, I can deal with what they offer and it is no way a scam.

sutoji
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III