Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:50 am

Can't say I wasn't expecting it... Well, I hope the story makes up for the lack of VF gameplay.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KidMarine » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:01 am

Technophilz wrote: Although everything in this new "update" tells us backers to lower our expectation even more

No.
Technophilz wrote:it took almost two years to make "acceptable" models of the two main characters

No.
Technophilz wrote: facial expressions and animations are not done yet,

No.
Technophilz wrote: we now have fewer characters than what's been initially announced

No.
Technophilz wrote: the new fighting system will be puzzle-based and more aimed towards causal players so we can kiss anything close to the decent fighting system of Shenmue and Shenmue II goodbye,

No.
Technophilz wrote: and finally another delay is highly expected.

No.

I'm struggling to find a statement in your post that even resembles reality. Maybe that it won't look like a AAA blockbuster? (No shit). It's beyond me how you've been unbanned. You're either a troll or nuts.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Technophilz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:13 am

KidMarine wrote:
Technophilz wrote:it took almost two years to make "acceptable" models of the two main characters

No.

No.
Technophilz wrote: we now have fewer characters than what's been initially announced

No.
Technophilz wrote: the new fighting system will be puzzle-based and more aimed towards causal players so we can kiss anything close to the decent fighting system of Shenmue and Shenmue II goodbye,

No.

No.

I'm struggling to find a statement in your post that even resembles reality. Maybe that it won't look like a AAA blockbuster? (No shit). It's beyond me how you've been unbanned. You're either a troll or nuts.

Feel free to disagree with everything I say, but this is my own opinion and everyone's entitled to have one.

Technophilz has received 3 thanks from: darksniper, Rikitatsu, SickOctopus
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby shredingskin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:28 am

BlueMue wrote: Sounds like Shenhua's model is final by now so why not show it? Guess they really don't want to come forth with a whole lot not to feed the haters.

Let's stop tripping over the same stone for the 10th time, let's just wait till they can feel comfortable doing an announcement and start promoting the game.

About the interview, I think it was great, I feel that YS is even more confident than in past interviews, seems that the game is getting shaped into "a game", and the answers seem more focused, also I'm happy that he thinks they're nailing the Shenhua design.

But at the same time it's weird, one day we get that the combat can target various enemies at the same time (I guess something similar to arkham or those games), but that you can also target lock and play like old, now he says that the items Ryo has will affect how combat plays, he said before he wants a more cinematic approach, and now he's talking about more puzzlelike (I have no real idea how fighting can be a puzzle, but I guess certain types of attacks will be more effective against other types of attacks or enemies, hopefully it's not a rock paper scissors type of deal), we also know that he wants to add verticality to the combat, and also QTEs (that haven't been really implemented, but will try to ditch button promts in favor of lights, and colors).

And the funny thing is that nothing of that contradicts anything he said in the past, but I'm about as much in the dark as 2 years ago.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby sutoji » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:21 am

I do appreciate the realistic virtua fighter engine in 1 and 2 so for it to be as fun to play, there has to be some free element of control for the player to beat down opponents. It was very fun for like the 5 minutes that most battles lasted.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Valascaziel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Really nice to have a decent interview, but I'm disappointed about the lack of a FREE battle system

Not sure how I feel about an "interactive movie", which is kind of what I interpreted it as being hinted towards.

Still a lot of time left, but my hope for a 2018 release wanes with each update or lack thereof. Mayhaps a different tale will be woven at Magic, but everything still feels...early.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sutoji » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Technophilz wrote: Although everything in this new "update" tells us backers to lower our expectation even more, the dreamy people (as usual) are excited and happy with that ....

In short, what we've just been told is : graphics won't be comparable to AAA titles, it took almost two years to make "acceptable" models of the two main characters, facial expressions and animations are not done yet, we now have fewer characters than what's been initially announced, the new fighting system will be puzzle-based and more aimed towards causal players so we can kiss anything close to the decent fighting system of Shenmue and Shenmue II goodbye, and finally another delay is highly expected.

btw, can someone remind whoever subtitled the video that we're still in 2017 ?

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/1 ... te-78.html

Switch's Phantom River Stone blog has an analysis up for the video, including some clarifications about Yu's comments in Japanese that didn't come across as directly as they could in the English subtitles.
Which matches with Yu's comments at Gamescom that Choubu alone could have an NPC count of 200.

Similarly, "puzzle game" is a bit of a translation goof, and is actually "thinking-style game", which is the same phrase Yu has used at Gamescom and (I think) in interviews even earlier than that about the combat. It's obviously not referring literally to puzzle games, but was likely used to evoke a sense of strategy Yu has talked about before in regards to the new combat (splitting enemies into smaller groups, knocking objects and other enemies into each other for an advantage, etc).

Also, the "2018 has been the year..." comment at the end of the video is not just a 2017/2018 typo mix up, but a tense mix up and meant to be "2018 will be the year...".
Thanks a lot to Switch for his contributions in clearing some of the ambiguity up! Spaghetti

On the topic of character models, with character design studio Lakshya Digital now having joined the project , Yu states that this month (December 2017) the number of character models has substantially increased. The English subtitles in the video say that the count

In today's video interview, Yu again uses the same phrase in Japanese ("thinking-style game") to describe the type of battle system he wants to create. This is a description that applies to games such as board games (chess etc), 3D-block puzzles or puzzle video games

In his wrap-up message, Yu talks about the coming year. 2018 will be a crucial year addressing the most important part of Shenmue: the way in which the Shenmue characters go about their daily lives.

sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby adom11800 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:05 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who has a couple of concerns. Don't get me wrong I'm glad about most of it, it was really good seeing Yu talk about the game. He seems happy with it's current state. Things I liked about the interview or conversation were:

- Shenhua's model improvement. Ryo looks fine now but Shenhua needed some work.
- The voice acting has begun into 2018
- The Battle System will be more dramatic and into cutscenes
- More and new characters with personatitlies. This is very Shenmue.
- Even better facial expressions
- Alot to see in 2018. The year for 'Shenmue'.

Things I'm a bit worried about:
- The battle system being puzzle like. To me that sounds like the game may be too easy. We Shenmue fans made Shenmue 3 happen, not this casual gamers who arent good at fighting games.
- Picking up items in battle? Maybe he meant something different.

I'm probably wrong about some of the stuff and only time will tell. It's early days yet so we'll wait and see!
adom11800

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:18 pm

That bit about the battle system hurts... VF's combat is the industry's best, it worked extremely well in Shenmue, sans camera issues..

60% of the time I spent on Shenmue 2 was in battles ( arenas, street fights, etc...) because of how addicting the combat was. To see it gutted for something more simplified... The more we approach the release date, the more I'm convinced that this won't reach the heights of Shenmue 1 & 2.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:54 pm

RIP classic logo.

Great interview though.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby adom11800 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:05 pm

Well if it's one thing for certain it's that the battle system will be different. This was to be expected. Who remembers that scene with the *blind* man in his room in Shenmue 2? Maybe it will be similar to that.

It's interesting but a bit worrying at the same time.
adom11800

Postby rwinno21 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:49 pm

adom11800 wrote: Well if it's one thing for certain it's that the battle system will be different. This was to be expected. Who remembers that scene with the *blind* man in his room in Shenmue 2? Maybe it will be similar to that.

That is a good point as differences in the battle system could in turn work positively and really make the game stand out attracting interest for new people to the series. We know that Yu has shown his potential over the years to be innovative and this is important as we need this for the game to be a success in terms of sales to a wider audience than just existing Shenmue fans. Ultimately after this number of years and a different engine the game is bound to have some degree of a different feel and as long as it retains the essence of “Shenmue” i will really enjoy the game. From what i have seen thus far Yu has definitely achieved that in my opinion. Great to hear the hard work going into Shenhua’s model and really looking forward to seeing the updates at Magic. An exciting year 2018 ahead!
rwinno21
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Deta » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:13 pm

KidMarine wrote:
Technophilz wrote: Although everything in this new "update" tells us backers to lower our expectation even more

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

How about next time you write why you disagree with someone. Or do you enjoy looking like a baboon? All technophilz's comments were reasonable assumptions.

Deta has received 2 thanks from: darksniper, SickOctopus
Deta

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:21 pm

adom11800 wrote: Well if it's one thing for certain it's that the battle system will be different.

The question would be "to which degree"?

Before Shenmue I released on Dreamcast, Yu Suzuki said the same thing. "Shenmue 1 is a game where you have to think, whereas Virtua Fighter is a game of timing".

Then we got the final game and the combat system was no so different from Virtua Fighter 2...

We'll not get Virtua Fighter combat system. We'll get Virtua FIghter 6 combat system. \:D/
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby adom11800 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:57 pm

^ Lol hopefully man. It would be good to have same battle system but different as well. A change can be good.

rwinno21 wrote:
adom11800 wrote: Well if it's one thing for certain it's that the battle system will be different. This was to be expected. Who remembers that scene with the *blind* man in his room in Shenmue 2? Maybe it will be similar to that.

That is a good point as differences in the battle system could in turn work positively and really make the game stand out attracting interest for new people to the series. We know that Yu has shown his potential over the years to be innovative and this is important as we need this for the game to be a success in terms of sales to a wider audience than just existing Shenmue fans. Ultimately after this number of years and a different engine the game is bound to have some degree of a different feel and as long as it retains the essence of “Shenmue” i will really enjoy the game. From what i have seen thus far Yu has definitely achieved that in my opinion. Great to hear the hard work going into Shenhua’s model and really looking forward to seeing the updates at Magic. An exciting year 2018 ahead!

Well said man.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: rwinno21
adom11800

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III